Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A few questions about Buddhist monks

Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
edited May 2010 in Philosophy
Excuse my ignorance, but perhaps you all could help me rid of it regarding these questions I have always wondered about.

Why do monks have to shave their heads?
Are monks able to eat meat, fish or poultry?
Do monks have to take a vow of celibacy (no sex)?

Do any of these rules vary for monks based on the lineage of Buddhism?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hi,

I had a little piece of hair shaved from my head in the installation ceremony to a monastic order. I continue to shave my head because it's easier to keep clean, cheaper to maintain (I live in poverty), and kinda cool! :D

I eat whatever I'm offered with gratitude. I have no attachment to one kind of food over the other, although I do try to avoid toxic foods, if I'm able. I imagine the diet restrictions/guidelines of the various schools have been handed down to us by the lineage and reflect someones take on how we should eat. It's someone "shoulding" on others! ouch!! :rolleyes:

Yes, MONKS and NUNS must uphold a celibate lifestyle. This frees them from filial obligations allowing them to invest all of their time, energy, and attention to training with and sharing the Buddhadharma with the world. In the lineage I'm associated with I may choose to marry and become a priest.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hey Brother Bob,
    Thanks for those answers. If you don't mind me asking what lineage do you associate yourself with?
  • edited March 2010
    Currently, Installation in Soto/Rinzai Zen lineage (training to embody the principles and practices of the Zen Peacemaker Order as a monastic). Training associations with Thich Nhat Hanh's Order of Interbeing (aspiring to embody the practice and spirit of their lay Zen practice and perhaps be accepted as a member of their Ordained group), Gelugpa with Ven. Thubten Chodron and members of the Liberation Prison Project (training to embody the Vajrayana and Preliminaries to Tantra and perhaps acceptance as a monastic in their Order), Shambhala Training with members of the Shambhala Community (training to embody their principles and practices).

Been at it now for some time ;)

P.S. I imagine the L.A. Zen Center is part of the same Soto/Rinzai Lineage that is the basis of the ZPO.
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    to shave yr head is a symbol of rebirth and renunciation. chastity can be a means of spiritual power, etc. and is part of the vinaya. therevada can eat meat when offered, mahayana can't.