Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bodhi

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited March 2010 in Philosophy
what is the meaning of Bodhi? Bo Dhi?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    what is the meaning of Bodhi? Bo Dhi?

bodhi = awakened/ realised/enlightened

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    bodhi = awakened/ realised/enlightened

then
    what is Bodhi Tree?
    what is Bodhi satva (satta)?
  • edited March 2010
    the bodhi tree was the "ficus religiosa" that siddhartha sat under and reportedly where gained enlightenment, it's a fig tree but it's also used as a symbol for the bodhi mind itself, which like dazzle said usually means enlightened, the bodhi tree is actually still out there i think and a great buddhist pilgrimage site, you could definitely say the most sacred, some buddhisthave even prostrated all the way there for thousands of miles. -isaw this in werner herzog's "the wheel of time" a great movie centered around mandala making at this site.
    AND bodhi-sattva is "enlightenment being" or "being for enlighenment"but i think you know bodhisattva generally means nowadays "one who works for the enlightenment of other beings". but bodhisattva means "enlightenment being" because bodhisattvas aspire to become a buddha through the bodhisattva path dedicated entirely to others, to generate bodhi-citta (enlightenment/discriminating mind, loving mind). these are of course LANGUAGE ITEMS so they are perishable in their eternalness and erode in the river of time.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    so
    samma sam bodhi = Buddha = awaken to the Dhamma and teach Dhamma to others

pacceka bodhi = Pacceka Buddha = awaken to the Dhamma but unable to teach Dhamma to others

arahat bodhi = Araht = awaken to the Dhamma after leaning the Teaching of Dhamma

Bodhi Tree = the helping tree to become the Buddha (helping with providing shade and all other acceptable atmosphere)
    Bodhi satva = the helping being to become the Buddha
  • edited March 2010
    sounds good to me
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post91943 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_91943 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0 1px solid">
    Bodhi satva = the helping being to become the Buddha
    <!-- / message -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0 1px solid">user_offline.gif </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c0c0c0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #c0c0c0 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #c0c0c0 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c0c0c0 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Bodhi-sattva - awakened being who walk to path to practice to awaken oneself and awakening for the others
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    <table class="tborder" id="post91943" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_91943" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(192, 192, 192);"><!-- / message -->
    </td></tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(192, 192, 192); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
    </td><td class="alt1" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(192, 192, 192); border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"><!-- controls -->
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Bodhi-sattva - awakened being who walk to path to practice to awaken oneself and awakening for the others

but Lord Buddha (Buddha) was awakened the day of his enlightenment not before that

until then he was called Bodhi-sattva in his last birth as well as in his previous births after he got 'vivarana' from Deepankara Buddha

in that case,

Bodhi comes after a word (suffix) use for Already Awakened
    Bodhi comes before a word (prefix) use for To Be Awakened

in any case Bodhi = awakened
  • edited March 2010
    Concerning "Bodhisattva":

Bodhisattva is differently used in Theravada and Mahayana. In Thera, it means the future Buddha. In Maha, it means as ansanna has stated, one who uses skillful means to help others reach enlightenment. Really in this way the Maha terminology can also apply to a Theravadin, but the Theravadin would not call themselves a Bodhisattva (Bodhisatta in Pali).
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Concerning "Bodhisattva":

Bodhisattva is differently used in Theravada and Mahayana. In Thera, it means the future Buddha. In Maha, it means as ansanna has stated, one who uses skillful means to help others reach enlightenment. Really in this way the Maha terminology can also apply to a Theravadin, but the Theravadin would not call themselves a Bodhisattva (Bodhisatta in Pali).

that is why i wanted to know the exact meaning of Bodhi

then i can decide for myself without leaning to theravada or mahayana
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    but Lord Buddha (Buddha) was awakened the day of his enlightenment not before that
    until then he was called Bodhi-sattva in his last birth as well as in his previous births after he got 'vivarana' from Deepankara Buddha
    This is not actually the Mahayana view, according to the Lotus Sutra - the Buddha actually obtained his full enlightenment in an extreme far long ago before he appear on our earth to known as our historical Buddha. His birth in ancient India was just to demonstrate to the people in this world that enlightenment in human existence is possible. In the Sutra, the Buddha even proclaimed that even after his para-nirvana , he ( his spiritual/wisdom body and his principle /truth / Dharma body ) continue to reside in our saha world and continue to preach the Dharma.

In Mahayana - the term Buddha-Bodhisattva is sometime used together ,
    An advance Bodhisattva is already suppassed the enlightened stage of Arhat , and could be addressed as Buddha too , or interchange between Buddha and Bodhisattva.
    In this respect, the Buddha represent the state of awakened to his true Buddha nature, the noble qualities of doing the salvation is represented by his Bodhisattvahood.
    take example - Avalokitasvara ( Kanzeon ) was known as an ancient Buddha in the remote past, but took the form of Bodhisattva mission to come to the saha world to help the Buddha to turn the Dharma wheel / Salvation .

And in the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha revealed that his true cause to his original enlightenment was not the few years of meditation cultivation under the Bodhi tree in ancient Indian. But the fact that in his many past existences he had practiced the Bodhisattva paths that allow his to accumulated the huge merits for his full enlightenment. The awakened moment under the Bodhi tree in ancient India was just the moment of awaken to re-link back to his true identity as the ancient Buddha all along
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In Theravada, bodhisatta is the being seeking enlightenment.
    "I, too, monks, before my Awakening, when I was an unawakened bodhisatta, being subject myself to birth, sought what was likewise subject to birth. Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, I sought [happiness in] what was likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement. The thought occurred to me...

Ariyapariyesana Sutta
    The Blessed One said, "Monks, before my self-awakening, when I was still just an unawakened Bodhisatta, the thought occurred to me:

Dvedhavitakka Sutta
    "Monks, before I attained supreme Enlightenment, while I was still a Bodhisatta, the thought occurred to me:

Mahaa Sakyamuni Gotamo Sutta

:)