Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling Down about Diagnosis, Diet

2»

Comments

• edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    emmak - that really made me laugh because I viewed the diet she has to eat, and everything on the "Usually ok" list is just about everything I eat on a daily basis (which the exception of the meat - I don't eat that!)! :)

DK - I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, but it is good that they have finally figured out what it wrong. Hang in there and I sure hope you are feeling better soon. The diets not all that bad! :)

Kim

Thanks.
  • edited August 2005
    federica wrote:
    s**t, I'm never going to complain about PMT again...!
    Dharmakitten, I always feel such a pang of sympathy when I discover people have to make such radical life-altering changes to their diets... Food is the staple of Life itself - not only as a means of survival, but it's central to social and cultural interaction. It is the very fulcrum of any human gathering.... Name me one social gathering or function that doesn't at some point involve sitting and eating together....
    I am occasionally driven to ask whether we haven't made a rod for our own backs.... life is sanitized to the point that there are more and more people sensitive/allergic to foodstuffs than ever... is it the food, or is it us, and what we've done to it - ?!
    Whatever the case, I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world, and I offer the only thing I can that might make it more bearable for you.
    My shoulder.

XX F.

You're very right about social gatherings revolving around food. Fortunately, I've only eaten out a few times this week and it wasn't anything special. Even though everyone at the table knew about my IC, it was still hard. It takes a few tries for me to order since I have to ask what's in everything (and of course, the waiter has to go and check). It's hard to watch others eat what I can't, and I know in a way it's hard for them, too. I can see on their faces that they hate that they can't share the same great experience with me.

Now I'm wondering how larger social functions will go. If I go to a party or special occasion, chances are I will have to bring my own food. And it's so hard to turn down chocolate brownies without crying. Then of course, everybody wants to know why. I've noticed that if people just think you are on a weight-loss diet, they sometimes consider it a worthy challenge to make you cheat. I think ultimately it's so ingrained in our culture (especially Souther U.S.) that you love people with food that to reject the food is almost a rejection of the person.

P.S. I generally have very bad PMS, too. Are you taking anything for it? I'm currently on the new birth control pill Yasmin. I skip the sugar pills most months so I just skip my period. Works great! All the other pill I had problems with. Unfortunately, Yasmin can raise potassium levels (along with another pill I'm taking for acne). I got my blood checked last week and am waiting for results. If it's higher than it should be it could be further aggravating my IC and I might have to stop :sadc: LOL, as soon as I get one thing figured out another thing comes along and messes it all up. I feel like an old woman at 22!
  • edited August 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    Dharma Kitten,
    I am sorry for what you have just learned, and my heart goes out to you and your husband.
    But not all hope is lost. I take care of my mum, Who was diagnosed with Diverticulitous ten years ago. She to had to make some radicle changes to her diet. She also is an insulin dependant diabetic. After looking at the diet you posted a link to. I can understand, she went through the same thing.

But she also had alot of fun after she accepted it. She had fun discovering new dishes. ( some that will work for you. If you like I can share some of those with you.) She found that food doesn't have to be an enemy, that it still can be a comfort.
    That was ten years ago. So hang in there Dk.

Thanks. I just got an IC cookbook that should help, but if you know of any particularly scrumptious non-seafood recipes, please share.
  • edited August 2005
    And just in case I forgot anybody, here's a big thank you to all of you for your support!
  • edited August 2005
    DharmaKitten - have you looked into getting a Mirena IUD? I have always had bad PMS and terribly irregular periods (usually I got it every two weeks, sometimes more) so my Midwife suggested a Mirena IUD and it is wonderful! I would look into it if I were you.

http://www.mirena-us.com/

My periods are so light, and I do not have any cramping, etc. And eventually, it goes away all together for most people!

Sorry if this is TMI for you boys! :)

Also, I noticed that a lot of the food on your "usually ok" list is most of the stuff I eat. I can recommend a WONDERFUL vegetarian cookbook if you are interested. And if you eat meat, you can always add meat to the dishes instead of tofu.
  • edited August 2005
    Dharma Kitten,
    LOL, Now which one to post. Ok here is one that my family loves.
    Roast Beef Wrap:
    1 Pkg of Cream Cheese
    2 Chopped up green Onions, Just he tops.
    1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tablespoons of Fresh Ground Horseradish ( store brought will do)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic podwer
    8 oz. of extra lean roast beef
    2 10" flour tortillas ( make sure they are lard free)
    Combine the first 6 ingreidents and spread half of mixture on the tortillas leaving a 1" border. Next layer the roast beef on each one. Roll tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 1 day if you want to make ahead. Slice inhalf inch slices and serve ontop a bead of spring greens. Yum.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Dis donc, ma petite Sabine, tu ne nous as pas encore raconté ton séjour à Paris! Est-ce que tu t'es trouvée un petit ami? Dis nous un peu ce que tu as vu.
    Oh, j'ai vu beaucoup de...stuff. :p Vraiment, je n'aime pas la Tour Eiffel et Versailles, ils sont trop touristy :sadc: Mais j'adore la Marais--les gens qui vivent la, ils sont tres sympa :p
    La Metro-- :downhand: Degoutant!
    Mais Simon, j'ai un petit ami ici! Je pense qui il est parfait pour moi. Donc, pardon, mecs francais!
    (That is probably soooo bad. But I tried :D )
    All in all, j'adore Paris! J'espere que j'irai encore dans l'universite. :p
    Back on topic. Dharma, I'm starting a diet too. I'm a little overweight--although I just like to say that my baby fat insists on staying permanently--so I'm trying to lost some poundage for my ballet class, and also for prom next year. I feel your pain, though not as acutely.
    And about PMS/PMT--I get soooo crabby, I just can't help it! Does that still count as bad karma, though?
    :D
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Wow, I have almost the same thing as you, Fede--sickle cell anemia. I'm just now starting to take iron regularly, because it seems to be getting worse as I get older :/
    My brother had it really bad when he was a teenager, though. Once, he was out of school for months because a surgery or something went wrong :(
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    There has been a good thread on this subject on our sister board:

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/lofiversion/index.php/t4685.html
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I am so glad you had a good time, Sabine. To have discovered the Marais is wonderful: it was one of my favourite strolls.

I have to admit that it was, largely, our experience that US visitors did tend to cling to strange, Puritan notions of 'fidelity' which excluded the fun of holiday romance. They needed far more effort to be convinced that a fortnight's of fun and love along the midnight Seine was integral to understanding the real heart of Paris.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    France, with the French, is supposed to be the Romantic ideal when it comes to Love.... but having lived here for six years, I'm not so sure.... as with every other 'illusion' we have about foreigners, (the French all go round on bikes with strings of onions round their necks, the Italians are fat and only eat pasta, the English all talk like Hugh Grant....!) what we believe is distorted and inaccurate....
    Outside influence like other cultures and television, all bear influence and blur the edges....
    I have come to the conclusion, however, (and tragically, many of my French friends agree with me) that the French have lost their wonderful 'Elan' and 'Joie de Vivre'... Ironically, both French terms habitually used in the English language, for a state of Being.... The French are developping a sad attitude of 'Moi, je vais bien, Jacques' and 'What's in it for me?'.... The Classic Gallic shrug of the shoulders, and the ubiquitous 'Bah, c'est comme ça!' (Tough, that's just the way it is!) are all too commonplace today....

On a lighter note, there is a joke that says:
    "If Heaven Exists, The French will be in charge of the Kitchen, the Italians of the Bedroom, the British in charge of the Law and the Germans will neatly handle everything else....
    In Hell, the Germans will be in charge of the kitchen, the English the Bedroom, the Italians the Law, and the French, everything else - "

On the face of it, it may be less of a joke than we think - !! :wow: :lol:
  • edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    DharmaKitten - have you looked into getting a Mirena IUD? I have always had bad PMS and terribly irregular periods (usually I got it every two weeks, sometimes more) so my Midwife suggested a Mirena IUD and it is wonderful! I would look into it if I were you.

http://www.mirena-us.com/

My periods are so light, and I do not have any cramping, etc. And eventually, it goes away all together for most people!

Sorry if this is TMI for you boys! :)

Also, I noticed that a lot of the food on your "usually ok" list is most of the stuff I eat. I can recommend a WONDERFUL vegetarian cookbook if you are interested. And if you eat meat, you can always add meat to the dishes instead of tofu.

I've looked into it a little. If the Yasmin doesn't work out for me, I'm definitely considering it since I've heard good things.
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    Dharma Kitten,
    LOL, Now which one to post. Ok here is one that my family loves.
    Roast Beef Wrap:
    1 Pkg of Cream Cheese
    2 Chopped up green Onions, Just he tops.
    1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tablespoons of Fresh Ground Horseradish ( store brought will do)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic podwer
    8 oz. of extra lean roast beef
    2 10" flour tortillas ( make sure they are lard free)
    Combine the first 6 ingreidents and spread half of mixture on the tortillas leaving a 1" border. Next layer the roast beef on each one. Roll tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 1 day if you want to make ahead. Slice inhalf inch slices and serve ontop a bead of spring greens. Yum.

Thanks. That sounds yummy. I think it's ok for me to eat, too - might have to substitute chives for the onions, though.
  • edited September 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    Dharma, I'm starting a diet too. I'm a little overweight--although I just like to say that my baby fat insists on staying permanently--so I'm trying to lost some poundage for my ballet class, and also for prom next year. I feel your pain, though not as acutely.
    And about PMS/PMT--I get soooo crabby, I just can't help it! Does that still count as bad karma, though?
    :D

Just take it nice and slow - don't want to slow the metabolism down. The only time I've had luck loosing weight is when I haven't been trying too hard. Just making better decisions, you know? Now my hubby is trying to loose a little weight, too. He's pretty much just cut out the soda when at home and stopped eating so many oreos. It's small changes but its definitely helping. I actually feel a little better seeing him making sacrifices, too. I kind of feel like sharing this brings us closer. And it's just easier if he's not eating those yummy oreos in front of me.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    (Wow, that wrap recipe sounds pretty good :p )
    Fede et Simon:
    Thaaaaanks, I'm definitely going back for a semester in university :D
    And I did kinda notice what you're talking about, Fede--mostly in the younger generation. I guess the older people remember the good old days, or something like that :p
    But every morning that we left our dormitory earlier than usual, might I mention, we always passed the same man carrying an armful of baguettes home to his family :D How classic!
    And yeah, Oreos are KILLER :banghead: