Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my materialism

edited March 2010 in General Banter
Hi all,

ever feel like an animal out of your habitat when your life changes?

I recently moved from the city to a small town where my sweetie lives. My life has totally changed.

I won't go into the details because I'm liable to unleash an unholy whine fest :p.

It's just weird. Unconsciously I was so attached to my lifestyle and surroundings, that now when I'm separated from them, I feel almost disoriented by the change.

I thought materialism was basically buying expensive, new things all the time; but for me this current of materialism runs much deeper.

Thoughts?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    The sayings.....

"If you cannot find inner peace, joy and serenity where you are right now - then where else do you expect to find it?"

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

Work for me, quite well......
  • edited March 2010
    I think you've hit upon something important, here. I know the feeling that you're talking about, quite well.

My company sends me to travel occasionally, and I got sent to Holland for 2-3 weeks. Many there can speak English, but choose not to (understandable; it's their country :) ) even when I was the only foreigner in the room, different culture, can't read the road signs, etc..I felt very much like a stranger in a strange land for a while. It was revealing to me, in that it showed me how much I was identifying with familiar trappings, and suffering when they were removed.

Mindfulness training and daily meditation has really helped with this. Does it make more sense to say that I feel more "grounded" when I'm in an unfamiliar place, or with unfamiliar people? I try to be in the moment, to see what's happening around me for what it is, instead of getting so terribly involved in the story that my mind is concocting about it. There's a sense of peace that goes with it.

I'm hardly perfect, but it's an improvement. Perhaps this is, in some small way, applicable to what you're feeling now that you've moved.

Best of luck! :)
  • edited March 2010
    pearl wrote: »
    I thought materialism was basically buying expensive, new things all the time; but for me this current of materialism runs much deeper.

Thoughts?

It can mean, as in wanting material things.

It can mean a philosophical view that there is just a single world and they world obeys the laws of its existence:)
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks Federica,
    I'm sure I'll get back into the groove. The emotion just surprised me and made me wonder how deep down the rabbit hole an attachment to physical conditions goes.

Yes, RayfieldNeel, that's exactly what I meant but couldn't articulate so well. Thanks!

Sorry MatSalted, poor choice of words on my part. By materialism, I simply meant attachment to physical conditions.