Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How would you say Buddhism is living and dynamic?

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hello all. I'm a student in senior high school and I have to do a major research task on a religion of my choice. As I've always been fascinated by Buddhism, it was my natural choice. So I come to you, the Buddhists yourselves. I was wondering if anyone at all could help me, how would you say the characteristics of Buddhism interact to create a dynamic and living religion? I use the word religion lightly, as my research has lead me to believe that it is more a way of life. Please correct me if I'm wrong.:rolleyes:

Please don't feel that I'm taking advantage of you. I will most definitely continue posting on the site as I'm trying to incoporate some of the ethics and values of Buddhism into my life.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure I understand your question.
    There is another topic in this forum currently, discussing the 'labelling' of Buddhism as a religion, which in my opinion, it is. But the word 'religion' in the west has become so synonymous with there being a Godhead, that this is what confuses people.
    In fact, the word 'Religion' stems from the Latin "Religare", to bind one's self to, and be devoted to. So I think it qualifies. The nuns and monks ordained into Buddhist schools/traditions, would seem to bear that out.

as to the main body of your question, I'm not actually sure what you're asking us....I'll try to respond as I understand it, though.....
    Buddhism is as alive, genuine and breathtakingly applicable ine very day "use" as it has ever been. It's basic premise has remained unchanged for millennia.
    The Buddha came to teach the origin of suffering and the cessation of suffering. More than two thousand years later, his words are as blindingly clear as they have ever been, and the dynamics are applicable to every single situation you encounter, from the moment you awaken to the moment you sleep.
    It's as much a living, breathing active dynamic premise as you and I are.....
    And I think the absolutely fundamental basic reason as to why it is like this, is precisely because there IS no God to worry about.
    The buck stops with you.
    It's all your intention, your choice, your attitude and wisdom, it's all your mindfulness.
    If that doesn't make it 'dynamic and living', I don't know what does!

Hope this helps!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    You might find the book The New Buddhism to be a useful reference for this project.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Even better to find a Buddhist monk or nun and interview them.

But is Buddhism living and dynamic? Oh my yes!
    (dynamic: pertaining to or characterized by energy or effective action; vigorously active or forceful; energetic)

It is personally living and dynamic: Someone who is good at being a Buddhist lives their Buddhist practice every second they are awake. They strive to always be continually aware of "the moment". All decisions and actions are run through the filter of what is right, kind, honest, and truthful, and they sincerely strive to put all others ahead of themselves. This is living, this is dynamic.

It is sociologically living and dynamic: Psychologist are beginning to understand that the principles of Buddhism, applied to daily life, create a happier and more-balanced individual. So the concepts are gradually being incorporated more and more into our concept of mental health, and it is irrelevant whether or not it is specifically labelled "Buddhism" (a rose by any other name....). And when society has a greater proportion of happy, balanced individuals, society itself operates better.

How much more dynamic and living can it be?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Claire one thing you have to realize is most of the people on this site are just average people who are a bit older and more experienced (in buddhism) than you.

So I think an authtentic (able and compassionate) spiritual master could give you a more effective answer than I could.

Nonetheless just for the purposes of schoolwork I can answer. There are many mandalas that operate in our lives. And there are ideals at the center of the mandalas. Your school is one mandala and the teachers and administrators (and students) are participants in the mandala.

There are values in each mandala. Your school holds certain principles as a group. By coming into contact with the mandala of your school it has the effect of putting you into contact with those values at the center. Then you exchange energy with them. If you are at the boundary between being inside and outside of a mandala you feel a lot of emotions. You will feel this on your graduation day.

At the center of the sangha mandala are the values of the dharma. By getting close to the sangha you also exchange energy with these values.

One idea in buddhism is to abandon which is harmful and practice which is wholesome. So by coming in contact with the mandala not only do the ideas come to you. But also all of the energy of the whole mandala.

When you join the cheerleading team (or football) you are with a coach who knows about that sport. The energy of that knowledge creates a positive environment. Your coach is living and breathing cheerleading or football.

When you come in contact with dharma practitioners you are also exposed to the ideas and energy. The term in buddhism specific to this is adhistana. We try to open to the adhistana of the circle and lineage of buddhists in the hope that it will have the power to transform us. All the places where we are not compassionate. Where we don't want to have our experience. Where we are holding back. Where we are cramped and narrow.

We hope opening to the adhistana (sort of a blessing) will have the power to transform us.
  • JaphyJaphy New
    edited March 2010
    I believe Buddhism is living and dynamic. Of course my understanding of this phrase may be different than yours. Or anyone else's for that reason. Come to think of it, that may very well be where I would begin.

Buddhism is a real, living and dynamic tradition because the understanding of it is a very personal thing. A variety of traditions provide us with the basic elements and practices then each has the latitude to interpret these within the fairly liberal parameters suggested in those words unambiguously attributed to the "historic" Buddha.

The dynamics of the tradition of evolution and this practice, in fact, are demonstrated by the varied schools which teach us themselves. I would suggest: this is how Theravada morphed into Mahayana, Ch'an, Zen, as well as so many others. The lotus which represents Buddhism has many petals; each as beautiful and sweet scented as the next and all from the same stem and root. In turn, this is all a living example of one of the Three Marks of Existence (Theravada), as it is also a living example of one of the Four Seals (Mahayana). The teaching of Impermanence, that all compounded things are subject to change is sown in our history and in our current affairs. In that respect there is a new Buddhism emerging in the west as we speak.

Also to be considered is that Buddhism is defined as a religion by some, a philosophy by others, a practice, a secular form of humanism and many additional phrases. The answer Buddhism supplies to these apparent contradictions is very simple: yes!

All this seems to represent dynamic and living to me. If it means something different to anyone else here, that's great if it works for you!

We are guided by by some very basic and profound values as Buddhists:

Abandon harmful ways,
    Practice virtue well,
    and;
    Purify your (own) mind.

So simple a child may understand it, a person of eighty may not be able to practice it, and many would word it all slightly differently. But that's OK.
    What the heck do I know though. I'm a new guy here. Glad to make your acquaintance!

Karaniya Metta,
    Japhy