Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Katrina to Hit New Orleans

edited August 2005 in Sanghas
I've been watching the news and everyone seems to be saying that New Orleans is pretty much toast (or more like moosh) after Katrina hits tommorrow. It's one of the worst hurricane to hit the U.S. in recorded time - and New Orleans is particularly vulnerable since it is below sea level and situated between the Mississippi, the Gulf of Mexico, and Lake Pontchartrain. If I were a theist, I'd offer my prayers. As an atheist, all I can offer is my thoughts and hopes. New Orleans is my favorite city. My husband and I had the most wonderful honeymoon there and we've been longing to go back. Now it looks like much of what we so loved - beautiful old oaks, grand old houses, etc. - will be destroyed. Makes me realize how impermanent things are - even really old things.

Of course, my worst fear is for the people there. Many have not been able to evacuate because not everyone can even afford to. New Orleans has a high percentage of people living in poverty. Worst yet, there are no safe shelters. Many have gathered in the football stadium - which may not survive the storm itself.

Anyways, we'll see how it goes.

Comments

• emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Wow. I knew nothing about this. (Damned non TV watcher...)
    My thoughts go out to anyone in the area
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Oh, it's SO horrible. :( But I've joined my friend Briana's organization in collecting money for the victims, hopefully that will help out some. I'm also running for my school's French Club's presidency, so maybe I can collaborate with her--New Orleans is such a treasure trove of French culture, and it would be such a shame to not try to do anything about this situation.
  • edited August 2005
    Well, glad to see that the French Quarter wasn't flattened. They sure do have a mess down there, though. Hopefully they'll get it under control soon. I have to think of all the people stuck out of state waiting to go home. Of course, I'm sorry that so many may have died. It could have been way worse, but to the families that lost someone, it is devastating I'm sure.