Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the difference between nihilism and the teaching of nirvana?

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
As asked in the title, my question is what separates the concept of nihilism from the teaching of nirvana?

I am not Buddhist (or anything, really, when it comes to religion) but this question has bothered me for quite some time. I'm curious if anyone has some insights that would help.

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Nibbana is simply freedom of dukkha in this very moment.

The Buddha taught anatta, not-self--that there's no permanent thing fit to be clung to as "self." This teaching is related to -dukkha-.

In MN 22 the Buddha addresses this very thing:

"37. "So teaching, so proclaiming, O monks, I have been baselessly, vainly, falsely and wrongly accused by some ascetics and brahmans: 'A nihilist38 is the ascetic Gotama; He teaches the annihilation, the destruction, the non-being of an existing individual.'39

"As I am not as I do not teach, so have I been baselessly, vainly, falsely and wrongly accused by some ascetics and brahmans thus: 'A nihilist is the ascetic Gotama; He teaches the annihilation, the destruction, the non-being of an existing individual.'

"What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering."
  • edited March 2010
    First off, thank you for the reply.

Guide me if I misunderstand..

As I understand it, nihilism teaches that nothing matters, and consequently there is no such thing as moral judgment or any consequences save on the most basic, physical level.

The heart of your reply seems to lie in the quote "What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering." I understand this to mean the Buddha's intent is not to deny meaning, but rather how to escape the cycle of suffering that reincarnation brings about. Where I struggle with this concept is that the teaching of nirvana seeks to avoid pain, rather than learn from it. I have difficulty resolving that intent with the other teachings of Buddha.

On another note, is 'nibbana' a more correct translation of nirvana, and the latter is simply the westernization of the pronunciation?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The more you try to understand the less you will.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Buddhism is not nihilism as there is no self to annihilate to begin with
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Khettien wrote: »
    Where I struggle with this concept is that the teaching of nirvana seeks to avoid pain, rather than learn from it.

The only thing I have learnt from suffering so far is that I need to end suffering

This might help you get things clarified:
    http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books6/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Paticcasamuppada.htm
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    First off, thank you for the reply.

(. . .)

The heart of your reply seems to lie in the quote "What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering." I understand this to mean the Buddha's intent is not to deny meaning, but rather how to escape the cycle of suffering that reincarnation...
    (rebirth....not reincarnation.....)
    ...brings about. Where I struggle with this concept is that the teaching of nirvana seeks to avoid pain, rather than learn from it. I have difficulty resolving that intent with the other teachings of Buddha.
    Nirvana (Sanskrit) or Nibbana (Pali) is the cessation of suffering, but it doesn't seek to avoid anything.... Nibbana is the transcendence of everything transitory and impermanent. it is a state of being - or non-being.... it is the zenith of consciousness and the fruition of the end of kamma (Pali) or Karma (Sanskrit).
    It's impossible to describe, but it is ultimate serene bliss and all-acceptance....I'm having a hard time putting it into words, because it is the ultimate 'beyond-enlightenment' Buddhists strive for, but it's just as it is, with no description able to encompass it. It is.
    On another note, is 'nibbana' a more correct translation of nirvana, and the latter is simply the westernization of the pronunciation?

PALI - - - - - - SANSKRIT
    Nibbana - - - - - Nirvana
    Kamma - - - - - Karma
    Sutta - - - - - Sutra
    Dhamma - - - - - Dharma
    Metta - - - - - - Maitri

I'm sure there will be others.....
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited March 2010
    As I understand it, nihilism teaches that nothing matters, and consequently there is no such thing as moral judgment or any consequences save on the most basic, physical level.
    I assumed you were talking about Nihilism in the sense of the annihilation of a self, which is what that sutta addresses. As there is no eternal self or soul in Buddhism, the idea of Nihilism isn't applicable.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "nothing matters" and "no such thing as moral judgement," and explain what gives you this impression?
    The heart of your reply seems to lie in the quote "What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering." I understand this to mean the Buddha's intent is not to deny meaning, but rather how to escape the cycle of suffering that reincarnation brings about.
    Buddhism doesn't teach reincarnation. Some Buddhists teach rebirth, but this is not a core teaching, and it's taught and understood in many different ways. The Buddha taught freedom from dukkha in the here-and-now, not outside of it. Freedom from dukkha isn't annihilation or death.
    Where I struggle with this concept is that the teaching of nirvana seeks to avoid pain, rather than learn from it. I have difficulty resolving that intent with the other teachings of Buddha.
    The Buddha taught the Middle Path. He had taken part in both extremes, of greed and indulgence (life in as a prince), and aversion and avoidance (life as an ascetic). Neither led to Nibbana. Both were full of clinging.

Dukkha does not mean "pain." It's a mental dis-ease that results from clinging, and living outside the present moment. I think that same sutta explains it quite well:
    "Lord, can there be anxiety about unrealities, in the external?"24

"There can be, O monk," said the Blessed One. "In that case, monk, someone thinks: 'Oh, I had it! That, alas, I have no longer! Oh, may I have it again! But alas, I do not get it!' Hence he grieves, is depressed and laments; beating his breast, he weeps and dejection befalls him. Thus, monk, is there anxiety about unrealities, in the external."

20. "Lord, can there be anxiety about unrealities, in the internal?"

"There can be, monk," said the Blessed One. "In that case, monk, someone has this view: 'The universe is the Self. That I shall be after death; permanent, stable, eternal, immutable; eternally the same shall I abide in that very condition.' He then hears a Perfect One expounding the Teaching for the removal of all grounds for views, of all prejudices, obsessions, dogmas and biases; for the stilling of all (kamma-) processes, for the relinquishment of all substrata (of existence), for the extirpation of craving, for dispassion, cessation, Nibbaana. He then thinks: 'I shall be annihilated, I shall be destroyed! No longer shall I exist!' Hence he grieves, is depressed and laments; beating his breast, he weeps, and dejection befalls him. Thus, monk, is there anxiety about unrealities, in the internal."
    Now, it's natural to avoid pain... generally it's not a smart idea to go around sticking your hand in fire and such. :D But the Buddha taught that when there is pain, when there's any sensation, to be mindful of it, to not cling, to experience it in equanimity:
    So you should train yourself: 'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself.
    28. But when the Blessed One had entered upon the rainy season, there arose in him a severe illness, and sharp and deadly pains came upon him. And the Blessed One endured them mindfully, clearly comprehending and unperturbed.
    When you're angry, be mindful of it, don't cling, don't let it control you. Likewise when you're upset, happy--whatever. All of these things are conditioned, thus characterized by dukkha when misunderstood and clung to. Nibbana is an unconditioned internal peace.
    Nibbana is the Pali transliteration while Nirvana is Sanskrit.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    suffering is the basic unease. A feeling that things are not ok. That feeling is conditional upon ignorance, or seeing things not as they are. Because the ignorance is impermanent so too the suffering is also impermanent once the ignorance is removed.

So we do learn from the suffering. Actually if you are suffering it is a great opportunity to learn the nature of suffering and enter the first noble truth.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In Theravada there is "Nirvana without remainder". Upon the dissolution of the bodymind the Arhant enters this and is no longer born into the world.

In Mahayana one never enters Nirvana without remainder, as Nirvana is realize as not other than the bodymind and world.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    We must not forget that a human birth is considered more favourable than all the other types (hell realm, animal realm, heaven realm etc) not only to be able to hear the Buddha's teaching but also because in the human realm, we experience both suffering and joy and we can differentiate between the two. This is important if we want to reach nirvana, for how can you escape something if you don't know what you are escaping from? :)
  • edited March 2010
    Happy to Happy not to.

Happy to feel pain because we are actually alive to feel pain and it may let us know when something's not right.

Happy not to feel pain - this is pretty self-explanatory.

I like this because I imagine this as a way to simply understand/know what the Buddha taught as the state of tranquil equipoise or equanimity, which is the basis and result of Niravana.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    PALI - - - - - - SANSKRIT
    Nibbana - - - - - Nirvana
    Kamma - - - - - Karma
    Sutta - - - - - Sutra
    Dhamma - - - - - Dharma
    Metta - - - - - - Maitri

I'm sure there will be others.....
    Tomato - - - - - - Tomatah
    ;-)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Tomato - - - - - - Tomatah
    ;-)
    If only.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Actually, "tomatah" is Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit, which is more resistant to aphids than Vedic Sanskrit.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    As asked in the title, my question is what separates the concept of nihilism from the teaching of nirvana?

Nihilism fits annihilation. Nirvana fits freedom. :P
  • edited March 2010
    I see Nibbana as the destination of freedom from dukka led to by the middle path between nihilism and mysticism.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited March 2010

I am not Buddhist (or anything, really, when it comes to religion) but this question has bothered me for quite some time. I'm curious if anyone has some insights that would help.

Nibbana is peace, joy, equilibrium and natural compassion.

Nihilism is as I understand it just another concept, another play within ego's world.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010

As long as they remain unrealised by you, they are equally both concepts.
    The Zen people talk about having a thorn in the flesh, To remove it we use another thorn and then throw both thorns away.

Ideas like Nirvana are the thorns that we use to motivate the process of removing the thorn of Dukkha.
    Nihilism is a idea that says that the removal of the thorn of Dukkha is impossible. That in fact there is no meaning.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Buddhism is not nihilism as there is no self to annihilate to begin with

If there's no self then why do we suffer?

P
  • edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »

P

Because of the illusion of self?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »

P

There is a self. Its just not permanent , it has no permanent component, and it only exists dependantly on the arising of certain conditions.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Citta tells it true. Words to remember all day, every day.
  • edited March 2010
    Citta, FoibleFull,

Good point... I was always confident with the idea of a 'temporary changing self' which is the 'being' I am, moment-by-moment. This 'self' is a process rather than a subatantial thing, clinging to it only creates a false sense of a stable self, selfishness, and hence suffering.

What the 'anatta doctrine' states, is that, there is no 'permanent and unchanging self' to be found within the Five Aggregates. This is in line with the basic Buddhist view that all phenomena are temporary and constantly changing.

Another thought:

If phenomena are temporary but constantly changing, is that process eternal?

In the Buddhist perspective, questions of this nature are generally considered as ill-formed and misconceived. They are not connected with the goal of the Buddhist Path, namely the cessation of suffering. So it seems that speculation of this kind is best avoided.
    :)