Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

panic attacks?

edited July 2010 in Philosophy
I'm writing this because i'm terribly confused.

Once upon a time I had a dream. In the dream aliens, or some kind of creatures, had tied me to a chair. Every time I would have a thought they would destroy the thought with a weird helmet they had put on my head. It was a strange sensation. Well, then i woke up and the feeling persisted. Anytime a thought would arise, it would disappear before I even had a chance to think it. Eventually there would be such a stream of thoughts that they all sort of blend together. My head feels like the snake that eats it's own tail. I remember thinking that my ego was leaving my body and that soon i would be a vacant shell. I even saw it as a pin point flying away.\

That was 4 years ago.

However, last night it happened again, except without the dream. I woke up and my thoughts started the spiraling. It lasted for roughly an hour and probably would have last longer had i not eaten a xanax. It's not a night terror because i am fully conscious. But it borders on something i would call ego loss. It comes in waves. I'll come back down just long enough to grit my teeth and get ready for round two. It is terrifying in a way I can't describe.

Anyway, Ive talked to doctors about it and they are all a little confused. And frankly i have no idea what it is. Just figured i'd write in a few of these things. I am something of a buddhist. I meditate and a few other things. These things are just strange. any insight would help

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hi dillonollid

Panic attacks and sensations of alienation may arise during the process.

Their origin may be distortions buried deep within to bring up & let go of.

It may be helpful to take it easy, slowly and natural.

With metta.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi dillonoid,

I'm not a dream interpreter but your dream reminds me of being in a deep state of concentration where the thoughts, one by one, would emerge and not have enough 'energy' behind them to materialize. Kind of like a bubble in a stream that appears only to disappear a few moments later. The snake eating its own tail could be a symbol for the thoughts not getting off the ground, so to speak. Like I said, I'm not a dream interpreter but the brain is a fantastic organ that is capable of generating many thoughts and images in the imagination. William Blake is proof positive of that.

As for last night, what you describe is what the brain does. It's not abnormal. I sometimes wake up at 4 am and just observe each thought as it arises and passes away until I go back to sleep. I couldn't begin to explain where the stuff comes from but it's interesting to observe. So, maybe the next time it occurs, see if you can put your attention on the bodily sensations as the thoughts arise. Is your heart beating faster, face flushed...what are the sensations in the body (tightness in the stomach, leg, etc. Observing the mind/body is one of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.

May your investigations be fruitful :)
  • edited March 2010
    Right now I'm reading a book called The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep. It's about harnessing the power of dreams for various purposes. One purpose is finding out what dreams mean, what they're trying to tell you, and what their fulfillment is in real life.

The author of the book, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, is a master of this discipline, and might be able to help you with your dream. You can find his contact info by looking him up on Wikipedia.
  • edited March 2010
    yes, but these swirling thoughts i have reduce me to the point of amnesia, where i am no longer able to speak or understand much of anything. it doesnt seem to be a stroke, because xanax fixed it right up. but it was debilitating in way that i wasn't quite clear about in my first post. these are terrifying. and they dont fit the night terror or panic attack molds. and they last for a long time.
  • edited March 2010
    The amnesia (cognitive dissonance) is part of the anxiety experience. Yes, it's kinda scary. It's a normal reaction. Every normal human being has the same experience to a greater or lesser degree.

Here's what the Buddha recommended: know the experience. What did he mean by know the experience? In your case, the mind/body experience including the feeling of amnesia or cognitive dissonance. Keep in mind that anything you do to mitigate this 'leap of faith' to be with anxiety, will keep you from knowing the experience. There's no easy way!

Being human, I have had lots of anxiety in my life and it wasn't til I made an intention to 'know the experience', that I found out that knowing anxiety wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Furthermore, it became less and less scary the more times I knew the experience.

Also, try to be aware of the stories that the mind concocts when anxiety arises. The 'leap of faith' requires you to forget about the stories and stick with the mind/body sensations. Ajahn Sumedho said "Knowing is the quality of awareness; letting go, more and more deeply, of the content (story) of our experience and learning to witness the process (mind/body sensations) of it." You can do it. :-)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    1. panics do help no one, therefore better to ignore it

2. snake symbolises the 'cravings' within us

3. distruction of thoughts symbolise the practising 'cittanupassana' insight meditation

Congrutulations for practising insight meditation a long, long, long time ago (even though you can not remember it now)

most important thing:
    read/listen to 'four types of mindfulness' (sathara sathipattana)
    specially 'cittanu passana'
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sorry to hear about your "panic attacks" dillonollid.

Some scientists say that dreams are rehearsals or dry runs or simulations to prepare yourself for a situation that your mind thinks you should be prepared for. That explanation makes sense to me.

Just a guess and/or opinion, maybe there's some stressful situation in your life that you are anticipating.
  • edited March 2010
    the facing of the anxiety is where i fall flat on my face. There is a fear that if i surrender to it that it will take me away. All of the ideas regarding panic are easy enough when you are in a nice, average state of mind. But in the middle of the $hit storm it's certainly a different thing.

i had another minor attack this morning. and they always seem to come from sleep oddly enough. but i got up and just tried to focus on a warm feeling in my stomach. that coupled with a small xanax did the trick. At least it didn't reach the out of control "psychosis" it reached the morning before.

Anyway, thanks acariya. Who knows? it could be panic or a tumor (haha). It's just that i'm no stranger to anxiety either, and this felt like so much more than that.
  • edited July 2010
    May try chanting mantras and radiate loving kindness
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I started having panic attacks myself a couple months ago. The best way to describe it is I react like I wake up from a nightmare except I'm awake. I'll read the rest of posts later good luck I feel your pain.
  • edited July 2010
    I have bad panic attacks too. They started when I was 23 and I'm now 58. I've tried various things throughout the years with varying degrees of success.

I will try to add what I can to this thread when I'm clear (and when I have a good internet connection). Meanwhile, there is this- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche had bad panic attacks as a child. He writes about them a little bit in his book Joyful Wisdom, and I think he even has a couple of videos on YouTube about meditation and panic attacks.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yongey+mingyur&x=20&y=20

Like I say, I will add what I can when I can, and try to share some of my own experiences with you. But you know what they say about "the razor's edge"- not that I take your situation lightly at all.

Be well.
  • edited July 2010
    I do not know am i capable to give advises on overcoming panic attacks.

Things that the bearer has to do to attain calmness through Dhamma teachings, and overcome the "unknown Fear" .

1. take 5 precepts
    2. chant mantras
    3. do merits
    4. radiate loving kindness
    5. ask for forgiveness (past kamma)

May all beings be well and happy.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Anyway, Ive talked to doctors about it and they are all a little confused.

Did you talk to a general physician or a psychologist/psychiatrist?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I don't know much about panic attacks but I bet they come in sudden bursts of extreme fear and panic? I don't think you have space to clearly think in such a situation. So, maybe medication can help you here? Once again, it would require that you talk to a psychiatrist
  • edited July 2010
    I agree. Psychiatrist first.
  • edited July 2010
    My younger brother had a lot of panic attacks. From 11 years old until just recently (he's 22) he seemed in a constant state of agitation. Waking, sleeping, working -- he was always on edge, tense. He said warm air set them off. Caffeine. Breathing (lol. it sure seem to be so). It was constant.

He saw a psychologist and was prescribed something. He's dropped all meal supplements, stimulants, and anything else that doesn't come into his body by way of a balanced meal.

He is doing much better.

So, see a shrink first thing.

I have a slight panic attack at night. I cannot even lay down and my thoughts turn around very fast. Even being a meditator I still experience this on occasion. It can be disruptive for sure.

Take care.
    edited July 2010
    ati88888 wrote: »
    I do not know am i capable to give advises on overcoming panic attacks.

Things that the bearer has to do to attain calmness through Dhamma teachings, and overcome the "unknown Fear" .

1. take 5 precepts
    2. chant mantras
    3. do merits
    4. radiate loving kindness
    5. ask for forgiveness (past kamma)

May all beings be well and happy.

I have been having fear, worry and anxiety in my life a lot more than I want them be.

1. I'm very interested in this... I have a couple questions I hope you will answer.

2. Is this a teaching by the Buddha? Ask for forgiveness from whom? (Deities, or the victim of the negative act?)

3. If this is a teaching from the Buddha... where can I read about it?
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone else know?
  • edited July 2010
    In the Pali canon there are many cases where a monk becomes errant and prideful, and occasionally poorly behaved. When they came to their senses they would approach the Buddha and confess their errors to him. He would respond that to see ones own transgression, to makes amends for it and to restrain themselves in the future was a cause of growth in the Dhamma.

In some chanting guides and various Theravada practices this confession is still retained. Among monks it is expected that when one sees that they've been errant that they confess it and accept whatever censor is laid down by the community. They then exercise restraint from then on.

I'm going to link an article by Thanissaro Bhikkhu about forgiveness and reconciliation. Not quite what you're looking for, I don't think, but perhaps it'll be interesting anyway.

One reason I think that the Buddha commended those that saw their faults and confessed them was that they're minds would then become tranquil, thus removing obstacle from their path of practice (restlessness and remorse, and also prideful obstinacy). The allaying of restlessness and remorse is a principal reason for a trainee to practice the precepts also.

So, if you have no secret transgressions then their is no fear of consequences and no mental turmoil. No anxiety. Peace.

It might be a start.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/reconciliation.html
  • edited July 2010
    Regular meditation helps to ease the possibility of panic attacks.

Relaxation therapies are also helpful, as is hypnotherapy.

If they are very serious then professional help should be investigated.

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I'm not an expert, but this sounds like depersonalization disorder to me. Did the doctors suggest that to you? I have suffered from panic attacks for years and I've never had this kind of experience. It sounds really disturbing. Could it be a side effect from the Xanax? A friend of mine who was on it for a while had some weird symptoms when he tried to stop taking it.

As others have said, I strongly suggest you continue to monitor yourself and how you're feeling, and also find a doctor or counselor who can help rule out any underlying causes. My only other thought is that if this continues to happen, do your best to try and remain calm while simply observing. Don't try and force yourself to do anything, but to try to see if meditation or even simple breathing exercises help you through it.