Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dream Yoga

edited March 2010 in Philosophy
Is anyone familiar with Dream Yoga? It appears to be a Tibetan Buddhist tradition which involves lucid dreaming.

I discovered it when, at the library the other day, I found a fascinating book called The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, which I am currently reading.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I've done one short retreat on dream yoga. I had no lucid dreaming experience during the retreat.

Google Lama Tsering Everest
  • edited March 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    I've done one short retreat on dream yoga. I had no lucid dreaming experience during the retreat.

Google Lama Tsering Everest
    Hi sky dancer, thanks for your reply.

Lama Tsering Everest looks like a very interesting teacher. Did she lead the dream yoga retreat? Did the retreat take place in Brazil?

Please share more about your experience of the retreat, and any subsequent dream yoga experiences you may have had.

With gratitude,
    zendo
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Hi sky dancer, thanks for your reply.

Lama Tsering Everest looks like a very interesting teacher. Did she lead the dream yoga retreat? Did the retreat take place in Brazil?

Please share more about your experience of the retreat, and any subsequent dream yoga experiences you may have had.

With gratitude,
    zendo
    Lama Tsering led one of the retreats on dream yoga that I attended. Chagdud Rinpoche led the other.

The important point to me about the dream yoga retreat was the idea of making your practice continuous day and night awareness.

You do practice throughout the night with a partner. You take turns sleeping practice and waking practice.
  • edited March 2010
    Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.
  • hello
    it is true.the main thing to be aware all the day and night for lucid dreaming. any body who attend or do retreat at home on lucid kindly contact with me for sharing.i have also the book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep i take guidelines from this book for doing the practical.this is very good book.my mail- yograjpura@yahoo.com
  • I have had many lucid dreams, but was not aware that it was practiced in dream yoga. the only thing I new was that it is a step towards consciousness while being a bardo.
  • @yogi2

Lucid dreaming is lucid dreaming. Mi-lam (dream yoda) is something else altogether. You really cannot practice mi-lam with proper instructions. Guidelines from books leave out a huge amount of pith instructions which only a qualified lama can give.
  • Hello dorje
    I am from india like to attend the retreat of dream yoga.yet i have not found any teacher who guide me. i live in india 250 km away from mclodganj.kindly tell me the place in india where these types of retreats are run.please also tell the teacher,s contact,i like to meet him for learn this technique.
  • Before you start on journey into mi-lam, ensure you have mastered the foundations of Buddhism, i.e. the 4, the 8, and the 5.

Since mi-lam is a Tantric Completion Stage practice, I would recommend getting the appropriate empowerments prior, which means you have to start from the preliminaries and practice prostrations, water-bowl offerings, guru yoga, etc etc before even being allowed to start on mi-lam. This usually differs between schools, but in general it is done so. And even before you start on completion stage practices, you have to have good mastery of the generation stage practices of visualization and so on.

The go-to person used to me Minling Trichen Rinpoche, who died a few years back. You might want to go to Mindrolling, Minling Trichen Rinpoche's monastery, in Clement Town to ask around.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Is anyone familiar with Dream Yoga? It appears to be a Tibetan Buddhist tradition which involves lucid dreaming.

I discovered it when, at the library the other day, I found a fascinating book called [I]The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep[/I], which I am currently reading.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Yes, its a book, its orange and its written by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and is a great read. :)

Seriously, though, just reading this book seems to help with dream experiences. My motivation was I couldn't find time to practise enough in the day and wished to practise when asleep. At the risk of sounding esoteric I think something is passed on when you read this book.