Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

differentiation & equality

edited March 2010 in Philosophy
this is from zen talks on the sandokai by shunryu suzuki in the book "branching streams/flow in the darkness"
Another way to explain reality is by differentiation. Differentiation is equality, and things have equal value because they are different. If men and women are the same, then the distinctions between men and women have no value. Because men and women are different, men are valuable as men and women are valuable as women. To be different is to have value. In this sense all things have equal, absolute value. Each thing has absolute value and this is equal to everything else. We are normally involved with standards of evaluation: exchange value, material value, spiritual value, and moral value. Because you have some standard you can say "he is good" or "he is not so good." The moral standard is always changing; a virtuous person is not always virtuous. If you compare him with someone like Buddha, he is not so good. Good or bad is arrived at by some standard of evaluation. But because each thing is different, each thing has its own value. That value is absolute. The mountain is not more valuable because it is high; the river is not less valuable because it is low. On the other hand, because a mountain is high, it is a mountain, and it has absolute value; because water runs low in the valley, water is water and it has absolute value. The quality of the mountain and the quality of the river are completely different; because they are different they have equal value; and equal value means absolute value.
According to Buddhism equality is differentiation, and differentiation is equality. The usual understanding is that differentiation is the opposite of equality, but our understanding is that they are the same thing. One and many are the same.
as i was transcribing that i also thunk that study and exercising the intellect is meditation too, in zazen you eat your soul, in study you eat your brain, ha hahahahahahaha
so was this passage helpful to anyone? i thought it was pretty good, and wish i could have known suzuki in real life

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I doubt any new member would have any idea at all as to what this is actually all about (hahahahaha :rolleyes:) so I've moved it to the Experienced Practitioner Forum.

The Buddhism for Beginners forum is not a dumping ground for every new thought that happens to pop up in people's heads. It's a place to discuss the basics of Buddhism, and to greet new members as they post newbie questions....

I have requested this before, but try to think a bit, before posting, where a topic would be best exposed.

Thanks.
  • edited March 2010
    The Book title 'branching streams/flow in the darkness' is also found in the text of 'The Harmony of Difference and Sameness', which I imagine is a standard practice gatha of both the Zen Community of Oregon (Rinzai/Soto Zen) led by Chosan Bays, Roshi and Hogen Bays, Sensei and The Dharma Rain Zen Center (Soto Zen), led by Kyogen Carlson, Roshi and Gyokuko Carlson, Roshi. All in Portland.

If you're very interested in a deeper exploration of this teaching they can be very helpful.
  • edited March 2010
    hehe, still havent been to dharma rain but i am planning on going soon, i live on the outskirts and i have only so much money, so i like to use my bus money effectively... but thank you
  • edited March 2010
    Here's the Zen Center's morning service including the harmony of difference and sameness.

http://www.dharma-rain.org/StillPoint/morningservice.shtml#harmony
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    this is from zen talks on the sandokai by shunryu suzuki in the book "branching streams/flow in the darkness"
    Sounds cool.

The Buddha always mentioned both unity & diversity.

But generally, most folks are stuck on unity.

:)