Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

interesting meditation experiences

edited March 2010 in Meditation
today i sat down after eating my first meal. it is a rainy day today. i sat down, constantly chewing on my own experience as i'm sure we all do, chewing on ideas and concepts and our own feelings, moving them around, and trying to navigate through life and the eternal now, doing what buddhists do. then as i was sitting, suddenly KERPLOP!!! a hole opened up beneath me. and it certainly was a physical sense of beaneathality, it was a psychological feeling but it had a physical dimension to it. i noticed that everything heard and seen and felt around me by my body was one thing, while this rabbit hole that i fell down was another, yet not to invoke any ideas of duality, it was as if this space that i fell into (and it was 'i' that fell into it, at least the notion of i that i know nothing else of) carried everything else, all this other phenomena of body and mind, the whole world. INteresting!

so i thought it'd be a good idea to share interesting experiences and stimulate others to share theirs. i also had a good insight that, going along with tathāgatagarbha we have an immanent sainthood within ourselves, and we must tap into this at all times and consider the ego stream of mind as noise and do not pay it any serious attention, hear it and do not block it out but do not listen to it with serious interest. instead to rest our minds in the stronghold of bodhicitta and the womb of tathagata and take all appearances in the world as empty and impermanent, these negative things as dust in the wind, so why get irritated at dust. also, to listen to things motivated by anger, greed and delusion as fiction, looking at it with a comic slant, as if nirvana were just playing with itself!

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    From Reflections On A Mountain Lake by Venerable Tenzin Palmo: (she spent twelve years living in a cave in the Himalayas)
    Many animals used to come roaming around the cave. [...] There were wolves, too. I love wolves. Once when I was sitting outside, a pack of five wolves came trotting up. They just stood and looked at me, very peacefully, and I looked back at them. They stayed for several minutes, just looking quietly, then the leader turned and they went trotting off after him. Sometimes they would sit above my cave and howl for hours on end.
    :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Dear Pietro ... it's not really useful to share these insights. Because insights don't create change. An hour, a day, a week later, we are back to our old selves. This is because we can experience a new way of seeing things but in the end our ingrained habits reassert themselves.

Psychology defines learning as a change in behavior. So if there is no change in behavior, have we really learned anything?

Now, enlightenment ... THAT's change. But if fireworks and insight don't create change, then enlightenment cannot lie there.

The practice of Buddhism retrains our mind and creates strong, new habits that eventually push out the old ones. As we start to automatically act and react differently over a sustained period of time, then we can say that we are indeed changing. And then we can say that we have found something that has true value.
  • edited March 2010
    sorry. perhaps i should call them thoughts instead of insights.
    big-alice.jpg
    this has happened to me before, in meditation and outside of it (outside of zazen), where i get a dose of alice in wonderland syndrome. it wasn't the real alice in wonderland syndrome where objects are fully perceived as being heavily distorted in size, but today in meditation when i closed my eyes it did feel as if my body was extremely distorted and much larger, while my awareness/imagination of the room and objects around me felt much smaller, and farther away. INTeresting!

i also got a newer sense of individuality, that is instead of people's actions and words and "essence" so to speak mixing and mishmashing all together inside my mind field, peoples' persons as individual and separate entities in the conventional sense i could feel much more distinctly. this also combined with the observation that we often get deceived by our ego into paying tribute to it, very hard to detect at its subtler levels of activity, in fact i'm probably doing it right now to myself, but it doesn't matter so much, so long as we keep certain principles in mind and stay dedicated to our meditation and practice. when a snakes sneaks into the garden it's not the gardener's fault, but the gardener does have to make the effort to repel the snake as best they can, to remember that there are children near by. yeah!
    From Reflections On A Mountain Lake by Venerable Tenzin Palmo: (she spent twelve years living in a cave in the Himalayas)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010

Wolves?? How can people meditate in such dangerous surroundings :eek:
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    You should read her biography, "A Cave in the Snow." She spent twelve years meditating in a hut on a mountainside in Ladakh. The wolves weren't her biggest problem, it was a shepherd boy who would play tricks on her. Probably Brooklyn is a more dangerous place to practice meditation.
  • edited March 2010
    HAha
  • edited March 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    it's not really useful to share these insights. Because insights don't create change. An hour, a day, a week later, we are back to our old selves. This is because we can experience a new way of seeing things but in the end our ingrained habits reassert themselves.

Thanks for the advice Foible. I know for me at least, it's very valid. I had an intense experience while meditating once a few years ago, and my obsession with trying to understand it definitely hindered my practice! Even now I'll waste time thinking about it every once in a while, which is not helpful at all.

I'll be saving your words to try and remind myself to change this attachment of mine!
  • edited March 2010
    this has happened to me before, in meditation and outside of it (outside of zazen), where i get a dose of alice in wonderland syndrome. it wasn't the real alice in wonderland syndrome where objects are fully perceived as being heavily distorted in size, but today in meditation when i closed my eyes it did feel as if my body was extremely distorted and much larger, while my awareness/imagination of the room and objects around me felt much smaller, and farther away. INTeresting!

I just thought I would share that I have had this experience myself. I've also had the experience where it feels like I"m vibrating a little bit inside of my own body. Not sure if it makes much sense, but almost feels like my mind just rattling around inside my body? At any rate, I think I understand what you are saying.
  • edited March 2010
    it was as if this space that i fell into (and it was 'i' that fell into it, at least the notion of i that i know nothing else of) carried everything else, all this other phenomena of body and mind, the whole world. INteresting!

I had a very similar experience a while back. Really brought home the fact that seperation is a concept as created as good or bad is created.
    -
    I've had a few others since too.

Every now and then i'll get very lost in thought or analysis that i'll get a sudden sense of getting my sight back. Like, while I was in thought I was in complete darkness and a curtain get's pulled open in a very literal way.

Another thing that's started to happen is that I've started to get sense memories coming up randomly (and quite a lot) from when I was child. (20 years ago) Certain smells, tastes, feelings and sensations I haven't had since I was small.

I've also started to find myself doing metta practice in my dreams. :)
  • edited March 2010
    oh man, yeah, i had a really strong metta experience in my dream last night, i was coming back from this lady's shop/home and she was mean to her children, they were actually kittens but anthropomorphized kittens and still her children, and i was crying so loudly and lamenting atop these hills ' the children, the poor children!' thinking how corrupt the world has become and we are all these children and we've strayed so far from our pristine nature, our childlike nature, and i felt a deep sympathy for every child and every person. INteresting!
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm, I meant I was still chanting/repeating. lol

But your's is way weirder.