Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Planting the Seeds of Service

edited March 2010 in Philosophy
In accepting an invitation to speak at 'an interfaith event highlighting community and social work from a faith perspective' presented by a coalition of local faith community leaders, churches, etc. I imagined asking you all about how you might speak about this subject, so I may share your voice with others in this local community.

Will you please share how you engage in community and social service from your perspective as a Buddhist practitioner?

Thank You

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    That's interesting.... Have you got any literature, or a link to the activity?
    This would be interesting to share with some local folks I know.....

If you've got more info, I'd love to see it, thanks! :)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    DharmaNet Learning Center - Engaged Practice

Buddhist Channel - here you can look for actual stories to quote.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    As a Buddhist, social service is to mitigate suffering (dukkha).

:)
  • edited March 2010
    In accepting an invitation to speak at 'an interfaith event highlighting community and social work from a faith perspective' presented by a coalition of local faith community leaders, churches, etc. I imagined asking you all about how you might speak about this subject, so I may share your voice with others in this local community.

Will you please share how you engage in community and social service from your perspective as a Buddhist practitioner?

Thank You

That sounds very interesting B.Bob. Please share links and more information about the event. In the past, I used to really enjoy attending interfaith gatherings with the World Congress of Faiths when I lived nearer to where they took place.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well, to answer your question, I got involved in volunteering with street people and with seniors as another aspect of my practice.
    It allows me - or we could say it challenges me - to show compassion to people who can be 'unattractive' and/or show challenging behaviours.
    It provides opportunities to listen and put the other person's needs before my own.
    It shows me when I am in judgment of others.

It also provides an opportunity to balance out my karma - for years (prior to my retirement) I worked as a government employee managing programs for low income people. Many times I was forced to implement decisions which I disagreed with and which were not supportive of low income people. I was forced to take away benefits from poor people. Now by working directly with these people I feel that I am balancing out the harm that I may have been part of in my previous occupation.
  • edited March 2010
    Barra wrote: »
    It also provides an opportunity to balance out my karma - for years (prior to my retirement) I worked as a government employee managing programs for low income people. Many times I was forced to implement decisions which I disagreed with and which were not supportive of low income people. I was forced to take away benefits from poor people. Now by working directly with these people I feel that I am balancing out the harm that I may have been part of in my previous occupation.
    It's inspiring to see someone this committed to balancing out their past karma, Barra. The fact that you care so much about making amends for past misdeeds (even if those misdeeds were forced on you) is heartwarming, and I am encouraged by you! :)

My own "community service" has been far too meager over the years, because for a long time I was lost in a delusion of self-loathing, which caused me to withdraw from humanity. Now I'm trying to re-engage, and I'm starting at the individual level: planting positive seeds in individuals wherever I can, uplifting and encouraging others, making them feel just a little happier, if I can.

This, it seems to me, can be a very powerful form of community service, because it sets in motion a chain reaction of positive energy, with each individual then carrying the good vibe to his or her next encounter. It can be as simple as a smile--but a smile can be a powerful thing! :) (<-- see how powerful that is?)

Good luck in your talk: I hope you can plant some good seeds!
  • edited March 2010
    barra, with a good heart, has described an excellent community service with a very "buddhist" flavor. also, many of the homeless have unaddressed mental health issues. good luck, bob.