Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World and Universe

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited March 2010 in Philosophy
what is your definition of World? Universe?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Enso.jpg
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Buddhist concepts of world is realm - loka , yatana
    our earth could be also known Jambudvipa ( from ancient indian world view of the one Mt. sumeru's world )
    our realm is known as saha world
    Buddhist concepts of universe is True Aspec of all Phenomena
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I think it depends on the context. In SN 12.44, for example, the Buddha used the term "world" (loka) as a synonym for suffering, illustrating how it originates from a complex process of sensory experience and conditionality (i.e., dependent co-arising).

So, in a Buddhist context, I'd define "world" as the world of experience via the six sense-media affected by craving.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Endless disequilibrium , ex-istence (standing forth), Samsara.

the other pole being

Timeless equilibrium, non ex-istence (not standing forth), Nirvana
  • edited March 2010
    Depends on whether we're speaking of reality or of perception.
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Depends on whether we're speaking ofreality or of perception.
    This may just be a picky language thing, but when we speak of "reality" vs. "perception" are we not presenting a perception? The relative difference between the really real, and the not really real is a matter of perception is it not?
  • edited March 2010
    Confusing the hell outta me Mr. Herman. ;) Our perception is limited in two ways. Firstly, we are limited in what we can experience for ourselves; for instance, we can't touch the sun.

Secondly, and more importantly for us, is that our perception is not in line with reality even when we can touch something. We need corrective mental-eye surgery, and practice of the path and then realization of the true nature of all phenomena brings us into harmony with reality.
  • edited March 2010
    "The world, indeed, is like a dream, and the treasures of the world are an alluring mirage." --Buddha

"With our thoughts we make the world." --Buddha

World and universe are subjective terms, i.e. they differ from person to person.

There are as many different worlds and universes as there are people, for no two people have the same experience.

Sometimes worlds "overlap," like concentric circles, and therein for a time we share with others an illusion of absoluteness or uniformity; but it is only an illusion, a temporary agreement, and in the end we part ways.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Spirituality, the world (loka) means mental state. The Buddha taught the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the path leading to the cessation of the world is found within this six-foot long body with perception and mind.

When the Buddha said to look at the world as a royal painted chariot (whatever), he was referring to the world created by human beings, which is also merely the manisfestion of their collective mental states.

:)
    edited March 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    ...our earth could be also known Jambudvipa ( from ancient indian world view of the one Mt. sumeru's world )...
    This was how Buddhaghosa interpreted the Buddha's quality of lokavidhu, meaning, 'knower of the worlds'.

:smilec:
    edited March 2010
    Confusing the hell outta me Mr. Herman. ;) Our perception is limited in two ways. Firstly, we are limited in what we can experience for ourselves; for instance, we can't touch the sun..

There are two extremes in this regard that I can see, one is positing an object without a subject (i.e. a form of nihilism) such as materialists do. This is the basic notion of a an objective world waiting to be discovered by a subject ("myth of the given"). The other is is positing a subject without an object (i.e. a form of eternalism) The world only exists within our subjectivity which is unchanging.

In my experiencing there is no object without a subject or vise versa. the subjective and objective pole of awareness are two sides of one occasion. Either alternative is a projection, such as if I say my car is parked out side regardless of my percieving it directly, (it might have been towed).
    Secondly, and more importantly for us, is that our perception is not in line with reality even when we can touch something. We need corrective mental-eye surgery, and practice of the path and then realization of the true nature of all phenomena brings us into harmony with reality.

This I can relate to. without practice we see through the warp of our conceptual constructs and imputed values etc. However "reality" outside of this by is definition is impossible to describe without projecting,...except that it is not-suffering.:)

Anyway lots words but I think were in the same ballpark.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm sure we are. I remember when I first came to this forum I read a lot of posts by you and you seemed to have a good head on your shoulders. I probably thought that because your thinking closely matched my own; it's an odd phenomena that at times our perception of another's intelligence is dependent upon how closely their thinking matches ours. Egotistical, to be sure, but we generally aren't aware of it.

Usually I can understand a bit better, but I've been sick for the past week and I just took some DayQuil a while ago and feel a bit fuzzy, so it sounds like you're typing Greek at me.
    edited March 2010
    Look forward to dialogue post fuzzys:)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    a very interesting 'object' is in front of me right now

is that perticular 'object' in 'your' world now? or in 'your' universe?
  • edited March 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    Buddhist concepts of world is realm - loka , yatana
    our earth could be also known Jambudvipa ( from ancient indian world view of the one Mt. sumeru's world )
    our realm is known as saha world
    Buddhist concepts of universe is True Aspec of all Phenomena
    ansanna, i always like reading your posts even though i don't always know what the hell these ideas all mean. didn't you say you were from asia?
    Spirituality, the world (loka) means mental state. The Buddha taught the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the path leading to the cessation of the world is found within this six-foot long body with perception and mind.

why are you substituting the world for suffering?
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In the Buddha's concept of Dependent Origination he expressed a deep understanding of how humans tend to objectify their world and thus maintain the cognitive structure we call “ego.” He also understood how we can only know our world through the senses and sense perception. Once he had arrived at nibbana he realized it was our objectification of our sensory world that keeps us from being enlightened. It is our ego identification with the neurophysiology (nama-rupa), that forms the beliefs and concepts about the body and it sensory domain (rupa), and the mind and its cognitive domain (nama) that keeps us attached to this human form lifetime after lifetime and thus from being free of suffering and enlightened by realizing our infinite existence.

http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/dependentorigination.htm

The world is whatever that is perceived by our 6 senses and consists of nama(subject) and rupa(object).
    edited March 2010
    why are you substituting the world for suffering?

:buck: Rohitassa Sutta
    edited March 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    a very interesting 'object' is in front of me right now

is that particular 'object' in 'your' world now? or in 'your' universe?
    Cant say. This post is. Awareness has a subjective and objective pole. Two sides of a single moment. When practicing neti neti ( not I not I) one "backs" toward the subjective pole as more and more subtle elements of "me" become objects of awareness. The subjective pole is not an object of awareness, but bodymind (everything called "Me and "Mine") along with the "external" world are realized as a single whole object of awareness. This "Me" belongs in it's entirety to the endless dis-equilibrium of the world, entirely to Samsara. Once the the subjective pole has been clarified of all objects in this way the sense of "I" dissolves. Experience goes from the sense of seer seeing seen to just seeing, without a seperate subject and object. The notion of a subject apart from an object or an object apart from a subject is an error in that it cannot meet the test of practice.

So your question can only be answered ... this is what seeing is now, and the information you are giving me about your experience is an abstraction, in the same way thinking about my car parked outside is. All I'm left with is This experience, everything else is an abstraction.
    edited March 2010

This is a difference between Theravada and Mahayana that can only be respected and left alone. A Mahayanist would not equate the world with suffering , DD does. Both views are sincere but coming from different intentions and insights. You cannot quote a Theravada Sutta to "disprove" a Mahayana assertion, and cannot quote a Mahayana Sutra or teacher to " disprove" a Theravada assertion.

Somehow there has to be acceptence of legitimate differences. I hold out hope.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited March 2010
    A Mahayanist would not equate the world with suffering , DD does.

Whoa, wait- what? This seems backwards. :confused: I think the meaning of "world" is getting muddled.
    Spirituality, the world (loka) means mental state.
    edited March 2010
    Whoa, wait- what? This seems backwards. :confused: I think the meaning of "world" is getting muddled.

Ok fair enough, the question of this thread is " what is your definition of World? Universe?" we do not have a general agreement here on the meaning of "World". So to clarify. By 'world" in this context I mean simply to be manifest, to have body, mind, and "external' environment. Bodymind/environment states are not in-and-of-themselves suffering. Suffering is the attachment to these states. That would be a Zen approach, Bodymind/environment, of there own accord, are not other than Nirvana, non-suffering. This I believe is similar to Nibbana with remainder in Theravada though one has to be careful not to generalize. And there is over all a different intent.

As I understand DD he is referring to Nibbana without remainder. To be truly free of suffering one is "no longer born in to this world". Bodymind/environment no longer arises. In Mahayana Nirvana without remainder is effectively renounced.

Perhaps DD means something else.
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps DD means something else.
    Richard

It is best to read the suttas. The suttas refer to 'worldly' conditions rather than the world or universe per se.

The world in itself is fine.

edited March 2010
    Richard

It is best to read the suttas. The suttas refer to 'worldly' conditions rather than the world or universe per se.

The world in itself is fine.

Hi DD. There is nothing in the eightfold path , at least as presented by Ajahn Chah, Sumedho and so forth to say the world is bad. There is nothing I have been taught by Theravadin teachers that truly contradicts the Mahayana teachings as well. Perhaps you can take another look? Where can differences be seen? Where can shared wisdom be seen?

If I have misunderstood your emphasis that is great.

With respect.
  • edited March 2010
    upekka, in response to your original question.....incomprehensible. not a bad thing. i like ken mcleod's expression, "the mystery of being"
    in his book "wake up to your life", he says"

"we don't know where experience comes from or where it goes. we don't know how we come to be here or what is going to happen after we die. we live and are aware: experience thoughts, emotions and sensations. that's all we really know. life is mystery."

i believe that anyone who tells you differently is either deluding themselves or trying to sell you something. people just want a comfy little narrative to explain things and make them feel better.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi DD. There is nothing in the eightfold path , at least as presented by Ajahn Chah, Sumedho and so forth to say the world is bad. There is nothing I have been taught by Theravadin teachers that truly contradicts the Mahayana teachings as well. Perhaps you can take another look? Where can differences be seen? Where can shared wisdom be seen?

If I have misunderstood your emphasis that is great.

With respect.

Here is Ajahn Amaro's attempt at reconciling the 2 traditions.

Small Boat, Great MountainTheravādan Reflections on The Natural Great Perfection
    Ajahn Amaro

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/book/138/
    edited March 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Here is Ajahn Amaro's attempt at reconciling the 2 traditions.

Small Boat, Great MountainTheravādan Reflections on The Natural Great Perfection
    Ajahn Amaro

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/book/138/

Thankyou pegemara. I figure if I can reconcile them in my self that is a good start.
  • edited March 2010
    A Mahayanist would not equate the world with suffering , DD does.
    Did you read the sutra DD posted?

In it the Buddha says the following:
    "I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."
    This looks to me like the Four Noble Truths, but with the word "cosmos" instead of "suffering".

Are you saying you disagree with this translation?
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Did you read the sutra DD posted?

In it the Buddha says the following:

This looks to me like the Four Noble Truths, but with the word "cosmos" instead of "suffering".

I cannot disagree with the translation as I am not a scholar of pali. DD has said this does not refer to "the world" and does not equate the world with suffering. So I'll take his word for it. He may be contemptuous of Mahayana, but he knows his own tradition. The problematic assumption is that a Pali Sutta is the final word for a Mahayana practitioner. It is not. any more than the Platform Sutra or the Heart Sutra is for a Theravadin. Different traditions, different intend , and different measure of practice. People cant get their heads around that, but it would be a good basis for some dialogue. If you quote a Pali Sutta to a Zen Sangha to prove a point the result will just be bemusement. Likewise quoting a Mahayana Sutra to a Theravadin Sangha.
  • edited March 2010
    This business of "Mahayana vs. Theravada" (which I see, in various forms, all over these forums) is just dualistic thinking being imposed on the Dharma, creating separation between Buddhists.

The sooner we can free ourselves from this "my way as opposed to your way" thinking, the sooner we can make real headway along the Path. Until then, we're just throwing up unnecessary obstacles before ourselves and our brothers, and losing ourselves in endless debate.

Mahayana, Theravada, Zen...it's all Buddhism. Let's focus on what we all share in common, rather than what makes us different.
    edited March 2010
    This business of "Mahayana vs. Theravada" (which I see, in various forms, all over these forums) is just dualistic thinking being imposed on the Dharma, creating separation between Buddhists.

The sooner we can free ourselves from this "my way as opposed to your way" thinking, the sooner we can make real headway along the Path. Until then, we're just throwing up unnecessary obstacles before ourselves and our brothers, and losing ourselves in endless debate.

Mahayana, Theravada, Zen...it's all Buddhism. Let's focus on what we all share in common, rather than what makes us different.
    I agree, "my way or the highway" thinking is the problem. It is a failure to respect different traditions. One can also be idealistic and wash all traditions with one brush, usually ones own.
  • edited March 2010
    One can also be idealistic and wash all traditions with one brush, usually ones own.
    Quite true!
    edited March 2010
    Not really.

It is merely different dhamma for different dispositions.

edited March 2010
    hi

with the word 'cosmos', certainly i disagree with

but not with the word 'world'

this word 'world' we use in common colloquial speech, such as 'he is lost in his own world'

the 'world' or 'worlds' are the concoctions of the human mind

such as hell world, hungry ghost world, human world, brahma world, deva world & animal kingdom

famous pop song 'you're my world'

any world we create is impermanent

it simply means the world can make us suffer if we attach to it

example of the difference between the human world & the animal world (both inhabited by human bodies)
    Bhikkhus, these two bright principles protect the world. What are the two? Shame and fear of wrongdoing. If, bhikkhus, these two bright principles did not protect the world, there would not be discerned respect for mother or maternal aunt or maternal uncle's wife or a teacher's wife or the wives of other honored persons, and the world would have fallen into promiscuity, as with goats, sheep, chickens, pigs, dogs and jackals. But as these two bright principles protect the world, there is discerned respect for mother... and the wives of other honored persons."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.009.irel.html
    you're my world you're ev'ry breath i take
    you're my world you're ev'ry move i make
    other eyes see the stars up in the skies
    but for me they shine within you're eyes

as the trees reach for the sun above
    so my arms reach out to you for love
    with your hand resting in mine
    i feel a power so divine

you're my world you are my night and day
    you're my world you're ev'ry pray'r i pray
    if our love ceases to be
    then it's the end of my world for me

with your hand resting in mine
    i feel a power so divine

you're my world you are my night and day
    you're my world you're ev'ry pray'r i pray
    if our love ceases to be
    then it's the end of my world, end of my world,
    end of my world for me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_My_World
    edited March 2010
    The Mind ‘Beyond The World’

<O:p
    We would like to discuss the Pali word lokutara. Lok or loke means ‘the world’. Utara means ‘to be above’ or ‘beyond’. So lokutara means above or beyond the world.

<O:pThis doesn’t mean getting into a spaceship and flying off into space because it doesn’t matter where we went, that would still be the world. Anyplace, no matter how far away it is, is still the world.

Lokutara, ‘above the world’, doesn’t have anything to do with our body. This means for the mind to be above worldly conditions.

<O:pWe Cannot Escape The World

We cannot escape the world, we must live in it. But the mind needn’t be trapped under the influence of ‘good and bad’, ‘winning and losing’, ‘getting and missing’, ‘positivism and negativism’ and all those worldly qualities and values.

<O:pWhile living in the world, even if we are under the ground, the mind can still be ‘above the world’ , can still exist ‘beyond the world’.

<O:pThis is something mental or spiritual, it is not a physical ‘being above’, floating around in some spaceship.

<O:pThe Self Is The World

<O:pTo make it more simple or short, we can just say that ‘I’ or the ego is the world. This concept of ‘I’ or the ego, this is the meaning of the world. To be above that egoistic idea or concept is to be above the world.

Above The Misunderstanding Of Duality<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
    Another way to explain lokutara is to be above the misunderstanding of duality.
    The world is full of dualistic things because the world is full of foolish people. Foolish people understand there are dualistic things – good and bad, winning and losing, positive and negative and so forth. This is a misunderstanding.<O:p</O:p
    In reality all things are the same. Good and bad is the same, positive and negative is the same. It is just a process of the law of idappaccayata.<O:p</O:p
    Bhikkhu Buddhadasa

• edited March 2010
    Not really.

It is merely different dhamma for different dispositions.

Hi Dhamma Dhatu,

I agree with you that the different schools of Buddhist thought (such as Mahayana and Theravada) are indeed different dhamma for different dispositions.

It's setting the one against the other, arguing about "which one is right," that seems to me the "foolish dualistic thinking" mentioned by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa in your "The Mind Beyond The World" post.

That kind of opposition or rivalry between schools seems self-defeating, because we're all one. Plus, it drags us into endless debates, which distract from the pure and simple following of the Dharma.

That's why I try to focus on the Buddha's own words as much as possible; because the farther from Buddha you go, the more "divisions" and "differences" and "separations" appear between people, and the harder it gets to hear the pure message through all the noise.
    edited March 2010
    It's setting the one against the other, arguing about "which one is right," that seems to me the "foolish dualistic thinking" mentioned by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa in your "The Mind Beyond The World" post.
    Hi

My purpose in posting the Buddhadasa quote was to explain the meaning of "the world".

As for non-duality, the Buddha did not really teach it.

Buddhadasa is just teaching it as beginner's samadhi training.

To the Buddha, "good" and "bad" or "right" and "wrong" were not the same.

Kind regards