Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Practice to help control nihilistic tendencies?

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> Hello all,
All my life I've suffered from depressive phases. Some of which have been and are very deep.
Because of this and my Buddhist philosophy I often find myself falling into a deep nihilistic trap.
What practical advise can people offer to help spring this trap.

Thanks

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    When you feel depressed really practice mindfulness. Do a scientific examination of your mind and feel every feeling you have thoroughly. Acknowledge that you feel depressed. Don't ignore it, try to really be it, and accept it. That is my main practice when I feel bad, and it usually makes me stop feeling bad. I think I also sorta think of compassion, but I can't think of how to explain it. Something I do more for physical pain, but would probably work for yours as well if it persists is to acknowledge the pain and be happy that you feel it. Be happy because you now have a great opportunity to empathize and imagine the pain of others. Think of everyone else in the world who has the same pain (depression) as you and try to make all of their pain yours. I kinda imagine light coming from everywhere and the negative energies of everyone who is depressed leaving them and coming to you. This is kind of implied but you should realize your not the only person who is depressed, and that others are much more depressed than you. This is just what works for me, it could not work for you or even make things worse.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It's hard to give advice not knowing you or the form that your depression takes. Generally our view of the world stems from our self-talk. Just be aware that your mood, at bottom, is nothing more than talk.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks all, I was thinking more of nihilism rather than depression. Thought I know the two go hand in hand. What is the point of practice if as I believe there is no self. When I'm up I see this interconnection of everything as beatiful and mind blowing. When I'm down it's what's the point :s

Sorry for the bold, the buttons not pressed so I've no idea how it's on :/
  • edited March 2010
    tony67 wrote: »
    <meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> Hello all,
    All my life I've suffered from depressive phases. Some of which have been and are very deep.
    Because of this and my Buddhist philosophy I often find myself falling into a deep nihilistic trap.
    What practical advise can people offer to help spring this trap.

Thanks

Nhilism is a very seductive trap for those who are unable to be satisfied by the mystical.

Here we are, by cosmic and biological fluke. Like is without meaning. Purpose. It seems pretty pointless.All is impermanent. All is empty.

In his very first sermon the Buddha tells the very first monks about this trap and how to avoid it without the need to enter the mystical.

But I think it is often overlooked just what these first steps are.

Life is a fluke in flux and wtf yet the Dharmic truths arise out of the meaningless and literally add meaning where there was none. How cool is that!!!?

The meaning is the path in all its aspects.

:)

Mat
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    First of all, Tony, I think you must come to the realization that your depression is what keeps the ball rolling in terms of staying stuck. If you can realize that whether you are up or down is just discursive thought without any particular significance, then you can move past it. The best way I know to do that is to practice meditation where you can see how your mind works and go deeper than just the ordinary thought waves that riffle the surface of the deep ocean of your mind.

Palzang