Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wisdom

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited March 2010 in Philosophy
it says Buddha said 'my Teaching is for the wise'

what is your definition of wisdom?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    i would like to start with having empathy for cause & effect

a keen or natural disposition to examine causes

:)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    it says Buddha said 'my Teaching is for the wise'

what is your definition of wisdom?

Seeing things as they actually are?

P
  • edited March 2010
    Having come to the truth of things by your own effort and insight as opposed to merely believing as others tell you to believe.
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Having come to the truth of things by your own effort and insight as opposed to merely believing as others tell you to believe.

OK, but if you arrive at the truth on your own, how do you know it actually is the truth?

P
  • edited March 2010
    It accords fully with your direct experiences of life, with your own reason and own common sense. There is no part of it, even the most minuscule, that is not in harmony with reality as it has already shown itself to be.

Sorta like you've been harboring a scientific theory all your life, but haven't known that you've already conducted innumerable tests on it. At some point when it has continued to hold up and never be disproved by any of them, then are you aware that it's a fact. In this case, you awaken in meditation.
  • edited March 2010
    The concept of wisdom vs. knowledge is quite an interesting one. It sent me off searching for answers. I ran into this quote in my web travels, which I thought was quite good. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

: ^ )

Q: “Knowledge puts us on the way to wisdom, but wisdom is experiential; it is a truth one recognizes in the external world that already resides in the internal world. One cannot learn wisdom – one most waken it. Knowledge gives you the tools but never mistake the tools for the treasure,”
    Ardriana Cahill

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010

One cannot learn wisdom

knowledge is what we learn from others (parents, teachers, society, books) and
    wisdom is the truth we derived from the knowledge

the other day i could listen to a sermon by ven. Abayarathanalankara and he explains 'u (one) + gath (taken) = ugatha (lerned person)
    from where he took (gath) it? From Rishis (one who found) by his own effort with developing his own mind
  • edited March 2010
    "wisdom is born from mindfulness"
    love, also, i would say is a huge part of wisdom even though it is not concerned so much with truth per se it is the more emotional you might say halve of wisdom, wisdom the more discerning
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Sorta like you've been harboring a scientific theory all your life, but haven't known that you've already conducted innumerable tests on it. At some point when it has continued to hold up and never be disproved by any of them, then are you aware that it's a fact. In this case, you awaken in meditation.

Yes, OK. Just checking.:)

P