Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are these passages the same, or just similar?

edited March 2010 in Philosophy
I've come across two passages which look very similar, and I'm wondering if they're just different translations of the same passage, or two completely distinct (though similar) passages.

The first passage, which I find beautiful and inspiring, is this:
If you really want freedom, happiness will arise. From happiness will come rapture. When your mind is enraptured, your body is tranquil. When your body is tranquil, you will know bliss. Because you are blissful, your mind will concentrate easily. Being concentrated, you will see things as they really are. In so seeing, you will become aware that life is a miracle. Being so aware, you will lose all your attachments. As you cease grasping, so you will be freed.

The second passage is this:
Discipline is for the sake of restraint, restraint for the sake of freedom from remorse, freedom from remorse for the sake of joy, joy for the sake of rapture, rapture for the sake of tranquillity, tranquillity for the sake of pleasure, pleasure for the sake of concentration, concentration for the sake of knowledge and vision of things as they are, knowledge and vision of things as they are for the sake of disenchantment, disenchantment for the sake of release, release for the sake of knowledge and vision of release, knowledge and vision of releasefor the sake of total unbinding without clinging.

— Parivaara.XII.2 (BMC p.1)

As you can see, the progression "joy-rapture-tranquility-bliss-concentration-right vision" is present in both passages, which suggests some sort of relation between them.

Clearly the second passage is from the Parivaara (a text from the Suttavibhanga in the Vinaya Pitaka), but I don't know where the first one comes from, so I'm not sure if they're a "match" or not.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Where did you find it zendo?
  • edited March 2010
    I first found it in an Anne Bancroft book, which I was recently reading in a Buddhist library. I loved the passage so much, I typed a few words of it into my web browser, and so found it again.

I can always go back to the library and find the citation in the book; but I wanted to ask about it here as well, in case anyone might have some insight about why the two passages are so similar.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    I first found it in an Anne Bancroft book, which I was recently reading in a Buddhist library. I loved the passage so much, I typed a few words of it into my web browser, and so found it again.

I can always go back to the library and find the citation in the book; but I wanted to ask about it here as well, in case anyone might have some insight about why the two passages are so similar.

She may have paraphrased an extract from the suttas. Anyway it's a good quote.

P
  • edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    She may have paraphrased an extract from the suttas. Anyway it's a good quote.

P
    I thought about that too, but when the web version came up identical to her version, I figured it must be a discrete passage, not a paraphrase.

That would make me glad, since the first version seems to me much more inspiring, and I would be disappointed to learn it was merely a reworded paraphrase of a monastic rule.

Anyway, I agree with you, it's a good quote. I may look into having it made into a colorful poster, and put it on the wall.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It is possible that the people on the internet are using Anne Bancroft's book as reference. Which explains why they are word perfect and why they reference the quote as "Digha Nikaya" http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=If+you+really+want+freedom,+happiness+will+arise.+From+happiness+will+come+rapture&start=10&sa=N&fp=48647af4c0cc1709
  • edited March 2010
    Why do you feel the use of the words "Digha Nikaya" indicates that the passage was taken from Anne Bancroft's book?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Why do you feel the use of the words "Digha Nikaya" indicates that the passage was taken from Anne Bancroft's book?

Well, it's only a possibility, but from my own experience, and from what I've seen time and time again on the net, people who find their quotes from secondary sources, rather than note that they are quoting someone elses quote, they'd use that books use of reference... for example, say we find a book called "the buddhas teaching" and in that book there are loads of quotes of the Buddha, like "Be nice to each other" by The Buddha. Then, when people use that quote, rather than referencing that quote as "Be nice to each other" By The Buddha taken from the book "the buddhas teaching", they instead just say "by the Buddha". Then someone else likes that quote and uses it on their web page, and then someone else and then someone else, etc. (Does that make sense? :confused:)
    The quote that I found on the net referenced it as "Digha Nikaya" which is pretty vague considering the amount of suttas within the Digha Nikaya. The quote might very well be in the Digha Nikaya, and I might be completely wrong :), I guess it's just I've just learnt to be skeptical of vague quotes. More often than not they've turn out to have been changed and twisted to suit the person quoting them. :(

Nios.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    ‘‘Evameva kho, bhikkhave, avijjūpanisā saṅkhārā, saṅkhārūpanisaṃ viññāṇaṃ, viññāṇūpanisaṃ nāmarūpaṃ, nāmarūpūpanisaṃ saḷāyatanaṃ, saḷāyatanūpaniso phasso, phassūpanisā vedanā, vedanūpanisā taṇhā, taṇhūpanisaṃ upādānaṃ, upādānūpaniso bhavo, bhavūpanisā jāti, jātūpanisaṃ dukkhaṃ, dukkhūpanisā saddhā, saddhūpanisaṃ pāmojjaṃ, pāmojjūpanisā pīti, pītūpanisā passaddhi, passaddhūpanisaṃ sukhaṃ, sukhūpaniso samādhi, samādhūpanisaṃ yathābhūtañāṇadassanaṃ, yathābhūtañāṇadassanūpanisā nibbidā, nibbidūpaniso virāgo, virāgūpanisā vimutti, vimuttūpanisaṃ khayeñāṇa’’nti. Tatiyaṃ.

"Thus, monks, ignorance is the supporting condition for formations, formations are the supporting condition for consciousness, consciousness is the supporting condition for mentality-materiality, mentality-materiality is the supporting condition for the sixfold sense base, the sixfold sense base is the supporting condition for contact, contact is the supporting condition for feeling, feeling is the supporting condition for craving, craving is the supporting condition for clinging, clinging is the supporting condition for existence, existence is the supporting condition for birth, birth is the supporting condition for suffering, suffering is the supporting condition for faith, faith is the supporting condition for gladness, gladness the supporting condition for rapture, rapture is the supporting condition for tranquillity, tranquillity is the supporting condition for happiness, happiness is the supporting condition for concentration, concentration is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are, the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is the supporting condition for disenchantment, disenchantment is the supporting condition for dispassion, dispassion is the supporting condition for emancipation, and emancipation is the supporting condition for the knowledge of the destruction (of the cankers).

Upanisa Sutta

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In the same way, when these five hindrances are not abandoned in himself, the monk regards it as a debt, a sickness, a prison, slavery, a road through desolate country. But when these five hindrances are abandoned in himself, he regards it as unindebtedness, good health, release from prison, freedom, a place of security. Seeing that they have been abandoned within him, he becomes glad. Glad, he becomes enraptured. Enraptured, his body grows tranquil. His body tranquil, he is sensitive to pleasure. Feeling pleasure, his mind becomes concentrated.

Maha-Assapura Sutta

:smilec:
  • edited March 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Well, it's only a possibility, but from my own experience, and from what I've seen time and time again on the net, people who find their quotes from secondary sources, rather than note that they are quoting someone elses quote, they'd use that books use of reference... for example, say we find a book called "the buddhas teaching" and in that book there are loads of quotes of the Buddha, like "Be nice to each other" by The Buddha. Then, when people use that quote, rather than referencing that quote as "Be nice to each other" By The Buddha taken from the book "the buddhas teaching", they instead just say "by the Buddha". Then someone else likes that quote and uses it on their web page, and then someone else and then someone else, etc. (Does that make sense? :confused:)
    The quote that I found on the net referenced it as "Digha Nikaya" which is pretty vague considering the amount of suttas within the Digha Nikaya. The quote might very well be in the Digha Nikaya, and I might be completely wrong :), I guess it's just I've just learnt to be skeptical of vague quotes. More often than not they've turn out to have been changed and twisted to suit the person quoting them. :(

Nios.
    I do understand what you're saying here, and I think you're right to be skeptical.

I think skepticism (a questioning state of mind, rather than taking things for granted) is in harmony with the Buddha's instructions to test everything for ourselves.
  • edited March 2010
    :)
    This looks like the second quote.

One key difference between the two passages is that the second one does not say "life is a miracle," which is one of my favorite parts of the first quote.

Therefore, it would seem that either the two passages are different, or (as Nios suggested) the passage may have been altered.
  • edited March 2010
    :smilec:
    Interesting! Thanks, DD.

So it seems there are multiple distinct sutras with similar passages.

This makes sense, since they say the Buddha's teachings were memorized by 500 different monks, and therefore many similar (but slightly different) teachings must have come into being.

Therefore maybe the "miracle" passage isn't a modern paraphrase, but an original version.

I will keep searching it out.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    More often than not they've turn out to have been changed and twisted to suit the person quoting them. :(

Yes, it happens. Also sometimes people quote very selectively from suttas in order to support their opinion, conveniently removing the sections that don't support their point of view.

P