Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self-metta and the sound of one hand...

edited March 2010 in General Banter
Questions: Other than Mudras, where does masturbation fit in with Dharma practice?

Is it metta or fetter?
Is it a defilement?
Is it sexual misconduct?
Is it suffering?
Is it grasping?

I hope we cal all work together on this issue and really lay down some answers:)

Thanks

Mat

PS Only seeking answers from those gifted with the ability not to takethemselves too seriosulah!;p

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I never take myself seriously but I don't know enough to answer your question.

Here's hoping it doesn't come under misconduct.
  • edited March 2010
    Temporary pleasure. As with all things, it is dukkha. That's not to say that it's bad, but rather that it's not conducive to awakening. It is a fetter that eventually is overcome (with either the second or third stage of awakening, I can't remember which).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    You'll go blind ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Questions: Other than Mudras, where does masturbation fit in with Dharma practice?
    Same as anything else you do that is transitory and ephemeral.
    This too shall pass. Whether you give it up now, or later, it doesn't matter. You'll give it up. Just like everything else you do. Like, breathing, for example.....
    PS Only seeking answers from those gifted with the ability not to takethemselves too seriosulah!;p
    Hence moving the thread from beginners to general banter.
    As it's none too serious, it's a better place for it.
  • edited March 2010
    I guess you really ARE the "Virgin Buddhist", Mat. I agree with Stephen, however. It seems akin to drinking alcohol, where it does not really help your practice.

Unless you practice mindful masturbation. God speed with that one.
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Hence moving the thread from beginners to general banter.
    As it's none too serious, it's a better place for it.

How embarresing, More Censorship from Federica. Its a serious question about Buddhism, I just didn't want arguments over it. Please move it back.

You just kill the threads when you move them, as you know, like you did that other wone.
  • edited March 2010
    Treehugger wrote: »

Unless you practice mindful masturbation.

This is what is referred to as masturbitation.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    How embarresing, More Censorship from Federica. Its a serious question about Buddhism, I just didn't want arguments over it. Please move it back.
    One: There is no censorship. I have deleted nothing.
    Two:
    It's fine where it is.
    You just kill the threads when you move them, as you know, like you did that other wone.
    Three: you've had more replies, so nothing's been killed.
    Four:
    If you want to take something up with a Mod, do it off thread in a PM, as you have done.
    No need to extend the discussion in public.
    That will just get posts removed, and earn you a slapped wrist.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    where does masturbation fit in with Dharma practice?

Is it metta or fetter?
    I don't think it's metta, but fetta? I can't eat cheese :p
    Is it a defilement?
    Depends what you're watching at the time and where you do it :lol:
    Is it sexual misconduct?
    See above :p
    Is it suffering?
    Dukkha for sure
    Is it grasping?
    Certainly :lol::lol::lol: Ahem!

On a more serious note, masturbation is simply to make you (or another) feel good be releasing the feel good chemicals in your body. Cake does the same for me :)

Nios.