Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have a break? Kill an orang-utan!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to do here... can you elaborate....?:)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to do here...
    Work up a sense of moral outrage.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Ah. he's changed the link. It was just a radio and audio reference before.

Ok, I'm outraged. But why are people surprised that global, multi-national obscenely wealthy massive companies are involved in things like this?
    Nestle have courted controversy many times before. You think they give a damn? Try boycotting their products and seeing how empty your trolley is at the end of your shopping trip.
    They don't just do chocolate.....talk about fingers in pies.
    No, not literally (though I wopuldn't put it past them....:D) they produce so many things in your supermarket, you'd be amazed.....and it's not just the Orang-outangs... they exploit people, too....
  • edited March 2010
    Holy crap... I really shouldn't be suprised, but I am.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'm a Greenpeace supporter online and get newsletters to like take part in helping the environment, going to events, and most commonly, sending angry e-mails to anti-eco-freekos (!). They asked me to show this video on my chatty sites :D Hopefully, if enough people get the message, Nestle will realise to either change their ways or lose buisness, either by people who like orang-utans, or by people who have a delicate stomach. I'm both :D I told all my classmates about it too :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »

My family and pets better get hibernating LOL!
  • edited March 2010
    As a little side-note, did you know that the US military uses (wastes?) resources tracking Greenpeace since it is listed as a "terrorist organization."

Just before I got to the USS Enterprise a few years ago, they'd spent the vast majority of their 4-month surge following the Rainbow Warrior around, not supporting OIF or OEF that we supposedly desperately needed resources for.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Good job, Jellybean!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    tatvamasi wrote: »
    As a little side-note, did you know that the US military uses (wastes?) resources tracking Greenpeace since it is listed as a "terrorist organization."

Just before I got to the USS Enterprise a few years ago, they'd spent the vast majority of their 4-month surge following the Rainbow Warrior around, not supporting OIF or OEF that we supposedly desperately needed resources for.
    Ummm, what?

What do you mean by 'it is listed as a "terrorist organization"'? Lol!! That's absolutely ridiculous. One of the funnier things I've heard over the years though.

Exactly what 'list' is this?

And do you understand that Greenpeace is a non-violent organization?

Green........peace?

I think you might be confusing Greenpeace with the Sea Shepherds.
    edited March 2010
    Teacher:
    What do you want to be when you grow up?

4 year old me:
    A tewowist :lol:

They're only terrorists to pollution, they don't go around saying
    'You better turn green,
    or we'll blow up the queen.'

BTW If you want to help further in the link I think you send a letter of complaint to Nestle if you like. Don't forget to add gunpowder ;)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

P.S.
    Are you a Greenpeace supporter Boo?
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Love'N'Peace,

I think it's great that you are taking a stand against unethical palm oil production.

This is something I'm actively doing too. I donate to the Orangutans and e-mail companies to find out what oil they use.

Allied Bakeries UK told me directly that they also use a variable supply source of palm oil in their products. I think a lot of bakeries do. I intend to dig out the breadmaker again and make my own.

I certainly wouldn't mind buying the products if they could guarantee it is ethically farmed but they told me they can't, shocking really.

P.S. A lot of ready made, ready to eat processed chicken/meat products are also made using palm oil (for any meat eaters out there) and a surprising amount of spreads.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'm glad you support my fellow orangutans, jellybelly. If I had a mango, I'd throw it your way!

No, Boo, Greenpeace is truly considered a terrorist organization by the EU. That's because they interfere with commerce on the high seas! Commerce meaning the wanton slaughter of whales and other intelligent beings. And of course, there's nothing worse than interfering with commerce to a capitalist. It is now quite easy for governments (in this case the European Union) to label anyone they choose to as "terrorists" under the loosened laws that were passed in response to terrorism. The US also considers them terrorists for their actions at the US-Spanish naval base at Rota, Spain, where some Greenpeace activists attempted to disrupt base activities to protest the Navy ships from there that were supporting the war in Iraq.

Palzang
    edited March 2010
    Yes, Boo....'fraid so.
    "Green Peace" can call itself what it likes (According to EU legislation) but that doesn't alter the perception European Law has of them, and the fact that they fit the legal definition of a terrorist.
    edited March 2010
    Ahh well, you gotta do what's right :p Even if it does mean working for evil Greenpeace bullying those poor, poor whale slaughterers :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    OMG!

Well, it was 10 years before 911 that I worked for them so I'm pretty out of touch with the post 911 legalities of it all.

But Fede, the link you provided says this:
    The framework decision of 13 June 2002 on combating terrorism, contains a definition of terrorist offences that combines two elements:

Objective, as it draws a list of serious offences (such as attacks upon a person's life or physical integrity, kidnapping or hostage tking, seizure of aircrafts, etc),

Subjective, as these acts will only be considered as terrorist offences when intentionally committed with a specific terrorist aim, as described in the framework decision.
    This doesn't apply to Greenpeace at all.

I know Greenpeace will commit misdemeanors like trespassing laws to hang banners and so forth like they did when they were able to climb the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa recently (which was hilarious!).

When it comes to the oceans they don't commit any acts of violence against whalers or toxic garbage dumpers etc. They definitely film everything, which is the whole point of any Greenpeace action, and get the footage to the media outlets asap. But they don't create dangerous situations like the Sea Shepherds on the oceans and they certainly don't carry weapons like the S.H.s. That's not to say that violent actions aren't committed against Greenpeace though, as we all know. They've been rammed, blown up, a photographer was killed on board when the French gov't sent agents to blow up the Warrior in Auckland harbour and so forth. But they've never retaliated with violence.

They have an incredibly strict definition of violence too. The story goes that when Paul Watson, who is now the captain and leader of the Sea Shepherds, was a campaigner for Greenpeace in the 70's they were out on the ice floes in eastern Canada during the annual seal slaughter and he went up to one of the hunters who had that hook thing they use raised to kill a seal and Paul grabbed the hunter's arm to stop him and Greenpeace fired him for it. I'm sure Paul displayed other traits that weren't in line with Greenpeace's policies but I think that was the final act that got him fired.

I know when I worked for them CSIS (Canadian equiv. of the FBI or CIA) had a file on me and any of my fellow co-workers who had attended a demonstration (and probably some who did not) but the government wasn't using up or diverting many resources to keep tabs on the group. That would have been ridiculous and it would have looked bad for them. But since 911, who knows what insanity is passing off as legal acts of 'protection'.

But my interest is piqued now. I'm going to have a look to see what I can find out about it. If governments are wasting resources following Greenpeace rather than real terrorists......well, that would be a real shame. It wouldn't be all that surprising, but it would be a shame. And embarrassing.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Ahh well, you gotta do what's right :p Even if it does mean working for evil Greenpeace bullying those poor, poor whale slaughterers :D
    Lol!! Yer funny!

But seriously though, it's important to make sure the organizations we support aren't involved in creating violence. I strongly believe major positive change can be brought about without the use of violence. Civil disobedience is where it's at for me.

If I find out that the EU or any other gov't or legal group has legitimate claims of violence perpetrated by Greenpeace I'll have to seriously rethink my support.

Still, classifying Greenpeace as a terrorist organization seems pretty ridiculous.
    edited March 2010
    As long as Greenpeace stuck with the environment I'd always stick by it :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    What an appropriate statement for your avatar pic....

Loyalty. Sweet. :)

Be smart too. :)
    edited March 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    What an appropriate statement for your avatar pic....

How so? :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Because your avatar pic is a dog, right?

And dogs are loyal. :)
    edited March 2010
    Yah! We need to take care of the environment because she takes care of us ;) Earth supplies us with food, water, friendship and the materials to build homes :)
  • edited March 2010
    Brigid: I don't know about the EU, but I do know that the US Dept. of Defense doesn't really list any legitimate (in my opinion anyway) violent actions committed by Greenpeace. The only justifications they listed were basically what Palzang said.

It really is completely ridiculous, and I have to admit, that it was one of things I saw during my time in the Navy that made me become more liberal.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well, at least something good came out of it! Love your avatar, BTW.

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I love your avatar PZ. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    HELP! :eek:

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Ever been to prison?
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks Palzang.
  • edited April 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Ummm, what?

What do you mean by 'it is listed as a "terrorist organization"'? Lol!! That's absolutely ridiculous. One of the funnier things I've heard over the years though.

Nope, he or she is correct. Greenpeace is a terrorist organization according to the United States military. I am a retired United States Marine and was told that I was not authorized to join such an organization upon penalty of Courts-martial.

It's serious. The DOD cites the blocking of Naval Vessels and the harassment of Naval vessels in its justification.

Just letting you know.
    edited April 2010
    Oh... I'm not planning to work with Greenpeace directly anyway :) Just with some animal conservationist group, I'm not bothered which.

All the best,
    Jellybean
  • edited April 2010
    For those interested here you can watch Green The Film for free. Beautiful, but sad.

http://www.greenthefilm.com/

Please don't use products containing palm oil.
    edited April 2010
    Thank you :om:
  • edited May 2010
    I sponsor an orangutan - a young female still with her mother. I get photos and updates from the team monitoring orangs in that area of Malaysia. I try to avoid palm oil products - but it is almost impossible. I write protest letters and financially support organisations like WDCS, Greenpeace, WWF, Friends of the Earth etc. It is the best that I can do - but I still despair at times. I have so much work to do on my equanimity.....And now the gulf of mexico disaster.....
    edited May 2010
    Indeed, the oil leak in Mexico is tragic :(
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think oil palm industry should be solely blamed for this problem.
    might as well blame humanity and boycott mankind as a whole.