Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Post your views on Money!

edited April 2010 in General Banter
guys post what you think about money here!
here is a view which i think is very insightful, i didn't write it, its an extract from a post:

"This idea that money must make money is a falsehood and a perversion. Money is meant to increase the wealth, the prosperity and the productiveness of a group, a country or, better, of the whole world. Money is a means, a force, a power, and not an end in itself. And like all forces and all powers, it is by movement and circulation that it grows and increases its power, not by accumulation and stagnation.
Money is not meant to make money, money is meant to make the earth ready for the advent of the new creation. "

Original source:The Money-Force: Nature and Value

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    wealth is relative: Something costing £350 is cheap as chips if you have £3,000,000 in the bank. It's bloody expensive if you only have £190.00.

It can't buy happiness, but apparently, buys an excellent quality of misery.
    You either have it or you don't.
    I've been in both situations, and whilst I have tried hard to accept things as they are, when they are, it's easier to accept things as they are, when they are, when they're buoyant, rather than stagnant or sinking....
    "Life is difficult" right now.
    (understatement).
    I'm metaphorically about three feet underwater, and my foot's caught in an old discarded net....
    But I'm hanging in there, as philosophically as I can, until I reach the surface once again.

Sit and breathe.....:)
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2010
    “Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” David Lee Roth. :D
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited March 2010
    If you did buy happiness with your money, you also got a side of delusion thrown in for free. :p

The whole point of money is so we don't have to barter for everything.
  • edited March 2010
    Money is security to me, saving/investing in myself and my family. I learned 'the most important things in life aren't things' many years ago, I don't want my life cluttered up with stuff...
  • edited March 2010

Bingo!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Money is a thing. Things are impermanent. Money comes and money goes. Having money does confer some degree of security, but that is illusory as well. It also causes problems.

I think Eckhart Tolle has a great take on money in his book "A New Earth". A good read in any event.

Mtns
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    A tool, a means to an end. Nothing more.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Money: -

As long as I have enough to pay bills, feed and clothe my family - that is all that matters. If I have more, I will help those who need it.

Raven
  • edited March 2010
    Our system of currency is, in an acronym, FUBAR. Most of the world's money simply does not exist, and I'd love to try explaining that but I have this thing about causing myself migraine headaches over the stupidity of the world. :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Money has brought a lot of suffering in my life than peace
  • edited March 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Money is a thing. Things are impermanent. Money comes and money goes. Having money does confer some degree of security, but that is illusory as well. It also causes problems.

I think Eckhart Tolle has a great take on money in his book "A New Earth". A good read in any event.

Mtns
    I've read it twice, but I don't remember what ET said about money - what was it?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Money is a collective subjective reality. Because it is collective it appears to be objective but that is an illusion. The dollar value of a good or service is collectively dreamed up. Which is quite interesting and I think it says something about 'beliefs' which we also assume are objective because they are collective. Due to the relationships between people it is a system and it appears very real. For all intensive purposes it is!
  • edited March 2010

Could you imagine a peaceful world where we all lived as one collective family?

You wouldn't barter with your father or sister, would you? :D

Realistically, money causes far more damage than benefit. The people are paid for the jobs they do is often very much out of balance with the type of work or effort they put in. This creates inequality among fellow humans and causes those with less money to be jealous (which often results in crime).

Perhaps this is the way that currency should be handled in modern society:
    http://www.ithacahours.org/faq.php :cool:
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My view on money is that if you think it causes you suffering and unhappiness by all means give some to me :D.
  • edited March 2010
    Money
    Elusive for those that don't understand it.
    Easy to obtain for those that understand its workings.
    Think cashflow, not net worth.
    Do investment and business owner, not employee and self employed.
    RK - money guru.

Hehe - that's probably the most cryptic post I have ever produced...
  • edited March 2010
    To me, money means food, a house, a girlfriend, books, and pipe tobacco. But I am one of the least desiring people out there. I feel no need to buy fancy things or flaunt money.

I'm extremely stingy. I'm the cheapest person I know. I grew up with no disposable income of my own, and now that I have it thanks to good-paying job, I feel a compulsion NOT to spend it. And not to mention I was raised by an extremely financially self-restrained father. My friends find my cheapness quite comical.
  • edited March 2010
    I wish money was not here, money causes so many problems, if we lived and worked the land we wouldent need money, it is possible to do,to give up materialistic life style is possible but people always want the latest this the latest that, yes we have to pay utility bills and rent and food, and in the modern sociaty we have to do this if we want to live where we live, i personally would love to live in the woods with my children live off the land and be free that would solve a lot of problems all to do with MONEY:(
  • edited March 2010
    i would like some more
  • edited March 2010
    "I don't care too
    much for money.
    Money can't buy me love"
  • edited March 2010
    i would like some more

Haha. Very true. You can never quite have enough to feel secure, and no matter how much you say you hate it, you can't live without it.
  • edited March 2010
    Haha. Very true. You can never quite have enough to feel secure, and no matter how much you say you hate it, you can't live without it.

It's kind of sad that humans are the only species that can't survive without some invisible currency scheme (yes, most of the money floating around is virtual, not solid currency).

Quite pathetic actually :buck:
  • edited March 2010
    I've never seen much money, after buying tonnes of stuff and having the fullfillment disappear everytime, I realised it was like a drug. It only makes you happy for a little while.

Though, giving it to friends who need it for rent, that was cool.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I like to over tip when I go out. I know it will make the server's day. People that eat out with me say I give too much and I always respond that they will remember us next time and it will make their day. Money is just another tool in this thing we call life.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I like to over tip when I go out. I know it will make the server's day. People that eat out with me say I give too much and I always respond that they will remember us next time and it will make their day. Money is just another tool in this thing we call life.

I once tipped $15 for a $16 pizza. I wouldn't normally have tipped like that, but I felt like a dick for asking this guy to bring me a pizza in torrential rain, so I pulled out all the cash I had in my wallet at the time and handed it to him.