Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Before you post or answer one...

JaphyJaphy New
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
A suggestion might be to read the forum guidelines, then ask yourself:

What would Buddha say if he were to provide guidelines for Discussion Group participation?
Perhaps he already told us:

1. Be skilled in goodness.
2. Know the path of peaceful ways.
3. Be straightforward, but humble and gentle.
4. Don't be conceited, proud and demanding.
5. Be contented and easily satisfied.
6. Be wise, and skillful in your words. (Intention is hard to interpret online)
7. Wishing happiness for all beings, assist them to be at ease.
8. Don't try to deceive anyone.
9. Don't despise anyone in any way.
10. Don't wish harm upon another.
11. Don't post in anger or ill will.
12. Demonstrate a boundless heart.
13. Cherish everyone's participation.
14. Radiate kindness to all here.
15. Don't hold to fixed views. (Allow others their's)
16. Be free of all sense desires. (Like the need to be better than another)

Read Karaniya Metta Sutta for the full version:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.amar.html

Of course, it is only my opinion.

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Good post. Thank you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I second that.

Thank you from me too.
  • edited March 2010
    ...............:coffee:................
  • edited March 2010
    Japhy wrote: »
    Of course, it is only my opinion.

In an ideal world, these guidelines would be followed. I try my best at least when I am mindfull.

But!

"Be straightforward, but humble and gentle."

I've posted questions on here that have resulted in respected members posting things that (at the time) I found insensative and inconsiderate. But at the same time, helped me develop in my practice. Infact, I take there frankness as being a major role in my path. But I still think they could have been more sensitive. (not enough to complain though) Though, had they been more gentle, I'm not sure I would have taken there comments in so well.

Either way, sometimes, people (me included) need a kick in the ass.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    We're human (at least most of us, I think). It's good to have a gentle reminder sometimes not to be jerks. Not that that would apply to me, of course. Oh, and don't forget to add "No sarcasm" :)

Mtns
  • edited March 2010
    Good precepts that are often hard to follow. I would add:

17 Don't take yourself too seriously online.

Salome
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    I've posted questions on here that have resulted in respected members posting things that (at the time) I found insensative and inconsiderate. But at the same time, helped me develop in my practice.

Totally agree with this. There are more than a few times that I have been proven wrong in these forums and proven wrong directly and strongly. These forums have been the biggest source of right view and right practice for me. Looking back I am so glad I got corrected by the experienced practitioners here who really know the suttas in and out. In fact I am still here because of them.

Rather than expecting others to be gentle and polite all the time, I have seen that it does a lot more good to be humble enough to be corrected when I am wrong. Just a thought
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. There are more than a few times that I have been proven wrong in these forums and proven wrong directly and strongly. These forums have been the biggest source of right view and right practice for me. Looking back I am so glad I got corrected by the experienced practitioners here who really know the suttas in and out. In fact I am still here because of them.

Rather than expecting others to be gentle and polite all the time, I have seen that it does a lot more good to be humble enough to be corrected when I am wrong. Just a thought
    Now here's something we don't see a lot of.

Bravo!
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Boo. You are too kind :)