Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Never believed...

edited May 2006 in Faith & Religion
I personally had a hard time believing in most of the ideas that were put forth regarding religeon and mostly saw it as a tool for controlling the masses. Science and compassion seem to be the way to true enlightenment. What drove you away from the established dieties of the world to us?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2004
    Quoted from a post I made a long time ago on short-media.com:
    csimon had this to say
    primesuspect had this to say
    It comes from having to explain myself to my catholic family over and over and over and over and over again :D
    LOL ...just out of curiosity (and please feel free to even ignore the question) when you made your "transition" from catholicism to buddhism (or whatever the transition was for clarity sake) ...what was is it that inspired this?
    Was it a turn off of catholicism or a turn on by buddhism? A little of both? neither? shut the hell up and mind your own business? lol j/k

csimon
    As a teenager I found the giant hypocrisy of the Catholic Church hard to swallow. Perhaps it was my unique experience, but all I ever saw was money and money and money flowing into the churches and no good ever coming out of it. I saw many churchgoers chatting and gossiping and bickering and comparing who gave what and I never heard much about God or Jesus. I saw the priest driving a brand new Lincoln every year. I saw the local Catholic High School band getting brand new uniforms and instruments all the time. I heard about scandals all over the US with the Catholic church.

That's why I'm not catholic

As to why I'm not Christian, that's a bit more complicated. I guess I just don't have much room for faith in my mind. I do not believe that Jesus was the son of God, in fact I find the idea patently silly (see my above post), and I absolutely do not believe that Jesus' was a virgin birth. That's just plain impossible.

Jesus was what we call a Boddhisattva: He was a wise man who walked the proper path and was on his way to enlightenment. Whenever that happens, and a Boddhisattva walks the Earth, people know. They can see the potential and they can see how close this person is to perfection, so they naturally follow him or her and listen to what they have to say and write about them and praise them. I think the political environment was ripe at the time of Jesus' death for him to be made into something he wasn't - a deity. So many atrocities have been committed in the name of Jesus. How sad. It's not Jesus' fault that corrupt human beings turned his name into a badge and a system of beliefs that really only furthers the goals of the people in charge.

There are writings that indicate that Jesus did not die on the cross. There are documents that speak of Jesus spending time in India after his crucifixion. There are many who believe that he was rescued off the cross and hidden away and taken to India to live another eight years peacefully. For obvious reasons, these are very dangerous ideas in the west and so they aren't really talked about much.

Quoted from the "Do You Believe in a God and Why?" thread @ short-media.com forums.
  • edited October 2004
    Brilliant. I always felt the same way as far as catholocism/Christianity goes. Never heard about Jesus in India though. I would love to see copy on that.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2004
    Whoa, Jesus in India? :eek:

I was just learning today in my "Lotus and the Cross" class how creepily parallel Buddhism developed to Christianity and how they happened in a very close time frame (they lived within 500 years of each other).

Mahayana Buddhism appeared about the same time that Jesus was alive. Theravada Buddhism recorded its canon for the first time around that period also. Weird, no?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2004
    So how goes "Lotus and the Cross", Matt? You piqued my curiousity with that and I'm interested to see what they are teaching about Buddhism in colleges.
  • edited December 2004
    The reasons Brian cited regarding Christianity fully envelops my own reasons why I'm not Christian, and why I'm exploring Buddhism.
  • edited December 2004
    I would say that the biggest draw for me to buddhism is that there need not be an overage of "Faith" with buddhism. Many monotheistic belief structures hinge solely on the idea that you will be rewarded for your faith. It's all really kind of self serving. " Oooo, I was good so I get to go to heaven." or " I led millions of people into a war in the name of Jesus. Heaven, here I come." Oddly, more people have died in the name of Jesus than any other disease, famine, or other mass extinction event, ever.

To trace the roots of any monotheistic system back to it's begining is to start at the same point. Funny that now, the fate of the world rests on the rickety bridge that we call faith. Faith in one another? No, faith that your God (read:Version of God) is correct. World leaders with their thumb on the pulse and a finger on the trigger. All this just to prove that they were right. How sad it is that when they come back, they will most likely be in a position to do it again...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    With regard to the belief that Jesus went to India, (and I can well believe he might have done, prior to his 30th birthday) there is a thread I read about somewhere, about a shrine in Northern Japan, which holds his bodily remains. There is a high Christian and predominantly Catholic community in Japan, which enmeshes their Shinto creed quite easily, apparently. Belief has it he escaped, his brother took his place on the cross, and Jesus himself travelled across the Orient finally halting and living out his remaining days in Japan.
    So maybe his brother should get some credit......! :)
  • edited April 2005
    As far as me, I just wanted to find truth and that search led to Buddhism. Through Buddhism, I find inner peace. Christianity in its modern Othrodox form does not promote free thinking or for that matter free will. Buddhism does, so I chose to go Buddhism to find truth. Not complicated but I can make more complicated if you want; it depends on you. So e-mail me if you want more info.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    When my Qi Gong students venture to ask me things about Buddhism, I try to explain in simple terms what it means to me. I always finish by saying that Buddhism is quite simple....but that 'simple' doesn't necessarily mean 'easy'..... ;)
  • edited April 2005
    It's amazing how simple it truly is.
  • edited May 2005
    Justin wrote:
    I would say that the biggest draw for me to buddhism is that there need not be an overage of "Faith" with buddhism. Many monotheistic belief structures hinge solely on the idea that you will be rewarded for your faith. It's all really kind of self serving. " Oooo, I was good so I get to go to heaven." or " I led millions of people into a war in the name of Jesus. Heaven, here I come." Oddly, more people have died in the name of Jesus than any other disease, famine, or other mass extinction event, ever.

To trace the roots of any monotheistic system back to it's begining is to start at the same point. Funny that now, the fate of the world rests on the rickety bridge that we call faith. Faith in one another? No, faith that your God (read:Version of God) is correct. World leaders with their thumb on the pulse and a finger on the trigger. All this just to prove that they were right. How sad it is that when they come back, they will most likely be in a position to do it again...

Say, hypothetically, that the Christians (especially the fundy types) are right. So this supreme being created us and gave us these wonderful brains. This god is more concerned about us believing in him than actually being decent people. So, he punishes anyone who doesn't believe in him as well as a heap of accompanying dogma. It doesn't matter if those people were born in a totally pagan country or if their experiences with the "ultimate truth" was tarnished by the hypocritical followers of said god. Burn in hellfire for eternity for not believing in the god who made you skeptical to begin with! If said god really exists, said god is not perfect in my opinion and not worthy of my worship.

If, however, I die and meet the creator of the universe (assuming there is one) and she (of course) is truly loving, is tolerant of indiscretions due to ignorance, has a great sense of humor (platypus, lol), and respects me for being skeptical and using my brain - that being might actually be worth worshipping. At which point, I'd say thanks for creating such an interesting universe and letting me enjoy my life without constant meddling from her.
    edited May 2005
    There was a little french priest some time back in the 18th century who was often in torment and anguish that some of the people he ministered to in moments of death did not turn to God, ask for forgiveness or repent their sins... he berated himself for failing to save them, or grew more and more distressed that their souls would not be at peace. One day, whilst kneeling in his little church, and praying for guidance in this matter, he felt as if he'd been hit by a thunderbolt, and was knocked sideways by a blinding white, hot light. But in this moment, he felt pure, indescribable bliss, and such a powerful sensation of Love running through him that he immediately wept tears of unadulterated wonderful Joy. he understood immediately that God is Love. Absolute, pure, unconditional and endless. From that day on, he ministered joyfully, fully secure in the knowledge that God Loves with no opinion. This story is documented in the archives of the vilage I used to live in....it is a true tale, and to me speaks volumes of what True Faith and a True God would be should be, and could be, if only the religious leaders would let Him..... Her..... :)
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!
  • edited May 2005
    I tried for many years to believe and I read much of the bible hoping to make sense out of the story of god. I turned it over in my head and tried to reason it out but it always defied logic and left me feeling like something was wrong with me because I couldnt grasp it. Once I accepted that being atheist or agnostic didnt mean I was a bad person I suddenly experienced the absence of confusion. And that was that for me and religion.
    edited May 2005
    It's been said so many times....
    The trick is to read through the bits that have been plagiarised and adapted by Men for their own use, in order to manipulate the masses, and to perceive the wholly good message beneath.... the old testament portrays a God who definitely seems to have a bad attitude towards anyone who says 'Well, God, I'll think about that...... No.'
    The New Testament is sprinkled with what we now know is mainly hearsay and fairy-tale, when it comes to relating the history of Christ's birth and life.... The one gratifying spark of truth is Christ's own teachings to his disciples; St. Pauls letters to one and all and sundry.... Some of it is really very good! :)
    Sections of the bible are quoted in many buddhist books, in order to illustrate that deep down, the main message is one of Love, Joy and Compassion, whatever your religious persuasion.... ;) .
  • edited May 2005
    Well for most of my life i was associated with Orthodox Judaism (The most disciplined form of the Faith) and one day i decided i didnt want to do it anymore. I dont like a faith system which tells me what to do who to marry what to eat where to live what to believe
    edited May 2005
    Hopkins215 wrote:
    Well for most of my life i was associated with Orthodox Judaism (The most disciplined form of the Faith) and one day i decided i didnt want to do it anymore. I dont like a faith system which tells me what to do who to marry what to eat where to live what to believe

I don't know of one structured faith system that doesn't. To some extent, they all instruct/dictate all of the above. This is why Buddhism, although it does have firm guidelines and teachings, is so refreshing due to its' quite literal 'open-minded-ness'. It gives you the power and responsibility of deciding for yourself what course of action to take, in any given situation. It also allows for different decisions in seemingly similar or identical situations, because circumstances might be different. Oh, it's soooooo cool!! :lol:
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Say, hypothetically, that the Christians (especially the fundy types) are right. So this supreme being created us and gave us these wonderful brains. This god is more concerned about us believing in him than actually being decent people. So, he punishes anyone who doesn't believe in him as well as a heap of accompanying dogma. It doesn't matter if those people were born in a totally pagan country or if their experiences with the "ultimate truth" was tarnished by the hypocritical followers of said god. Burn in hellfire for eternity for not believing in the god who made you skeptical to begin with! If said god really exists, said god is not perfect in my opinion and not worthy of my worship.

If, however, I die and meet the creator of the universe (assuming there is one) and she (of course) is truly loving, is tolerant of indiscretions due to ignorance, has a great sense of humor (platypus, lol), and respects me for being skeptical and using my brain - that being might actually be worth worshipping. At which point, I'd say thanks for creating such an interesting universe and letting me enjoy my life without constant meddling from her.

Here is something I have always thought. If God created Adam and Eve i his own image then how is it that they were capable of sin? Does that mean God is imperfect and capable of sin?
    edited June 2005
    Here is something I have always thought. If God created Adam and Eve i his own image then how is it that they were capable of sin? Does that mean God is imperfect and capable of sin?

No. But you are taking the story too literally. Remember that the Old Testament was written as a vehicle of instruction, by minds that are not as advanced, knowledge-wise as they are today. Every theologian without exception, will tell you quite emphatically that the story of creation was an illustrative story to explain the existence of Mankind and how we strayed from God. Nobody gives any credence to the story as factual concrete evidence..... And it is now accepted fact that it is we who created God in our Image....
  • edited June 2005
    Has anyone read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown? It has much to say about Jesus and how priests of the time wanted him to seem more god-like and less mortal, so they erased certain bits of his past and brought others into the public eye, deliberately to make him superior when he was just, as has been said here before, someone who wanted to make other peoples lives better.
    That's why i don't believe in christianity - it's all about people telling you what to believe and how to believe.
    I read this book (i read a lot! :D ) called the Blue Hawk, about how a young egyptian priest is punished for the rest of his life because he made up a new hymn.. and ended up crippled just because he wanted to show his love for god in ways different to what the Senior priests wanted. it seems to me that many faiths are like that. :(
    edited June 2005
    I don't know how it is there but here in the States every Christian I have ever spoken to believes the story is literal. I have not met one yet who believes it is not.
  • edited June 2005
    thebatman wrote:
    I tried for many years to believe and I read much of the bible hoping to make sense out of the story of god. I turned it over in my head and tried to reason it out but it always defied logic and left me feeling like something was wrong with me because I couldnt grasp it. Once I accepted that being atheist or agnostic didnt mean I was a bad person I suddenly experienced the absence of confusion. And that was that for me and religion.
    I have always felt kind of similar to this. I'm new and I'm only just really exploring buddhism, but i tried to read the bible and it just made no sense. :banghead: It had no logic behind it and didn't make me feel fulfilled, as well as trying to control the reader to the extent where they can't think for themselves.

I looked into buddhism because it was the only thing that gave a reason for life that made sense :bigclap: , if that makes sense?

Anyway, anyone who can tell me where to start if im gonna make sense of this that wud be great. Im new and confused!!! :confused:
  • edited June 2005
    You're in luck - this is a great place to start!

Feel free to ask any of us any questions you may have. No doubt you'll get different interpretations from different sangha members - but that doesn't mean any of them are wrong.

Welcome, I am blessed to meet you!

Dave
    edited June 2005
    hello andyc - and from one anglophile to another - bienvenue! I'm english but I live in France. BeautifulSpringtimeFist is english, but he lives in England.....!
    It's a wonderfully comfortable, conforting, friendly, informative, happy site. I have visited others, but none so "cuddly and embracing" as this one! Hope you enjoy learning, growing and 'walking' with us - and we'll have a great deal of fun on the way, innat right BSF?!?
  • edited June 2005
    Too right!

(American translation = I agree wholeheartedly!)

;)
  • edited June 2005
    I was at a softball game the other night, and it happend to be a church league. They pray before and after every game. I feel so out of place. I mean honestly and this sounds mean, but when I hear them pray, I feel like they are just talking to nothing. Like it's all they know.
    If they knew I was into buddhism, they would act very different towards me, and try to convert me to christianity.

(Its my boyfriends church, so I go to his games to support him)

What I would like to know is, Buddhism is about being open minded, and I am a very open minded person, but when it comes to God, and praying, why am I so uncomfortable? Why do I view God as fake. And this is a honest feeling, and I don't want to feel like that.
    Oh gees..haha
    edited June 2005
    The way I see it, because I can equate with how you feel (though I must add, I don't feel this way any longer!) is that the emotion you feel could be resentment. Resentment that these people are soooo sucked in.... "I mean, how manipulative is the church, forcing people to pray in this way, to believe something so incredible, and to lay down all these rules? Why do they just follow like sheep, whatever anyone says to them they have to do as they're told.... I mean, how stupid is that....?!?" Sound familiar? Am I near the mark? Think I'll let you answer, before I proceed... I'd rather not assume anything. But I know where you're coming from.... :)
  • edited June 2005
    Your so right Fed!

I mean they huddled in a circle while someone spoke. I just step back. Maybe thats rude...but I can't help but to feel silly standing there talking to something or should I say someone I don't believe is real.
    I mean they worship God, like we owe him something for giving us life. We didn't ask for a life. I mean yea, we should be happy we have it, but I mean why does it seem like it's held against us? Maybe not against us...do you get what I'm saying??

This past Sunday, my boyfriend was telling me that all their church service was for that day was a breakfast and a explanation of how they need to contribute to the church every year. And I'm thinking, thats kind of sad that they gather people to tell them about the budget of the church, instead of doing what they are suppose to be doing...learning about God.

Sorry, I get heated with churches... :mad: :banghead:
    edited June 2005
    Well I felt the same way until about 2 weeks ago. The members here informed me that the resentment I had ot the church was controlling me the same way as if I followed it. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Anita, do you have something against the Muslims for what the terrorists did or do you just view it as a small group that causes trouble? These people at the churches that do this are really a small group. How many people do you meet on a day to day basis who say they are Christians but you know they are just saying that beceause of the fear of saying they are not. Christianity is in a steady decline. Don't let it get to you. If you don't want to follow it, then don't. Back away from the circle. Does it really matter if they look at you differently? With your new path you have chosen you are looking at them differently. Think about that. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    In India, the Parsees are a small minority but contribute more doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc., proportionately, than any other religious group. They speak of themselves as "sugar in the milk": a small spoonful of sugar sweetens a whole lot of milk.

IMHO, "Churchianity" is the drop of bleach or arsenic that poisons the wholesome words that Jesus spoke, especially when they deliberately hide such 'gospels' as that attributed to Thomas.

Elsewhere, in the forum on Christianity, I have said that organisation brings corruption and a lust for power. It also depends on where we live and were brought up which of the organised religions we see as oppressive.

So, why, as one who sometimes calls himself a Buddhist Christian do I post in the atheist forum?

Because I am very dubious about all the "Supreme Being" stuff. As the Tathagata is reported as saying when asked about it, "In all my travels, I have never met such a one".

Of course, the vast majority of Christians would say that it is not possible to be a Christian without a belief in God. I am living and practising proof that it is quite possible and enriching of the spiritual life. The Buddha Shayamuni's turnings of the Wheel of Dharma do not require some anthropomorphic sadist in the sky to lead us to liberation - and neither do Jesus' teachings.

Part of the problem seems to be the need for there to be ueber-humans who reward or punish us and who can ride to our rescue like Lancelot saving Guinevere. God, whether we call God Allah or Yhwh or Father, seems to be an excuse for abdicating personal responsibility. It also requires that we check our intelligence at the door of the church or temple.

For many of us, I believe, the Dharma and its expression in Buddhism liberates us, first, from the dukkha of churches!

Mind you, it is quite fun to go to Christians and tell them that one is an atheist Christian.

If anyone is interested in exploring Christianity Without A Supreme Being, this could be a good place to do it, because so many of us are from 'Christendom'.

When I was young and growing up in France, I met many who could well be described as "ni croyants, ni pratiquants, mais tres catholiques".
    edited June 2005
    This forum never ceases to challenge my thoughts. Thank you Simon.
  • edited June 2005
    Dear Simon,

I'm glad you're here. There is a lot of undue hostility directed towards Christianity that should really be focused on the workings of the church.

There are many pilgrims here who, I feel, would like to reconcile their new found love in the Buddha's words with their lifelong negative emotions towards the church. As this only causes conflict between themselves and their Dharma.

Hopefully you can eloquently show these sangha members a path that does not require antagonism towards other religions.

I feel you could bring a more practical form of advice than I could ever - due to your real life experince of being an atheist Christian.

I am Blessed to meet you.
    edited June 2005
    Simon it's interesting that you should have been brought up in France.... I currently live here, in a small village about 40km east of Dijon, although I expect to be moving early next year....

I am quite surprised at the French attitude to religion... unlike Italy, which is my second-language country, France is extremely closetted when it comes to displaying its Religous affiliation. I have never encountered such sepraration of creed from daily life, ever. The two are like oil & water, and they definitely don't mix! Even church marriages are not recognised per se; they have to be preceded by a civil ceremony. I have quite a following among my pupils, ( I teach Qi Gong) but even there, their interest is limited to our times of practise together. Very odd.
    edited June 2005
    Federika,

I spent all my school holidays, from 1949, (4-5 months of each year), in Dieppe or in Annecy.

It was, particularly, in my beloved Normandy that I encountered Gallican Catholicism - a strange and shaggy beast. It is my opinion that we can never understand it without feeling, deep in our bones, the anti-clericalism of the Fourth and Fifth Republics. Indeed, the memory of the priest-ridden Ancien Régime is still with us.

There can be, to my mind, no better picture of this strange relationship than David's Sacre de Napoléon: there is the Pope, sitting behind the Emperor as he crowns a kneeling Joséphine. Napoléon had already crowned himself, the Pope being there solely as witness!

When I hear my USian friends speaking about separation of church and state, I wonder if they understand what it really means. In France, as you say, the divide is real and enduring. A personal example:

In 1961/2, my school, the French Lycée in London, was honoured by a visit from General de Gaulle. All the teachers wore academic dress (except our philo. master, but he was typically bloody-minded). The Catholic priests who ran the (enirely voluntary and outside-school-hours) cathéchisme (RE) classes were forbidden to wear their soutanes!

When, on leaving school and going up to Oxford, I came across the Established Church in all its glory, I was astonished. I still cannot quite get my head around the notion of Church and State in each other's embrace.
  • edited July 2005
    (Note: I was raised Anglican, which is as close to being Catholic as you can get without actually being Catholic. And I also married a Catholic.)

When my ex-wife and I split up, I was very depressed - more than the situation warranted. I came to realize that my suffering when beyond the sadness of the break-up. It was something else, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyway, during one of those long dark nights, I started to have what can only be described as a spiritual experience with a Christian flavour, which went something like "..Oh God, please forgive me, please help me, I am in your hands...". Then all of a sudden I slapped myself and said "Wait a minute, this isn't right...".

Something inside me told me that this was not the answer. It felt seductive, but I knew the answer to my problem was not here. Merely "giving myself over" to God/Jesus/whatever was not going to address the source of my suffering.

Then one day soon after, I found a book called "Entering the Stream" - I don't even remember why I chose it. But the story of the Buddha leaving the comforts of home and family to find his answer filled me with the resolve to do it too. The message "I did it - you can do it" really resonated for me. I am the master of my destiny. I got myself into this mess, and I can get myself out of it. Faith is very powerful for coping with suffering, but it cannot remove the causes of suffering.

That was 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Well Jesus and Buddha proves nothing... You see instant results with Buddhism... Christianity you'll just need to wait till your ol man upstairs decides to end his Game of Life.
    edited August 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Well Jesus and Buddha proves nothing... You see instant results with Buddhism... Christianity you'll just need to wait till your ol man upstairs decides to end his Game of Life.

Ajani,

There are many Christians who do not 'look forward'. Jesus said that the basileia ('kingdom') is here and now, within us. The churches, in the interests of social control and wealth creation (for themselves) conceal this from the congregations.
    edited August 2005
    I won't hide my dislike for the Bible, but I believe that our forums are pro-religion and not anti-religion,so I think we should wrap it up now once and for all. There are other sites about discussing such things.
  • edited May 2006
    Yes..

you only ever see results from christianity when you die, its a blind leap of faith with no truth

But buddhism is the whole concept of truth and accepting what we know and see, i feel so much better.. I.. just .. dont know what else to say.. i'm just not as lonely anymore..

before i started reading about buddhism i felt a great burden of loneliness and i feel that much of its weight has been lifted..

sometimes i felt like i was going mad .. i just needed to be held so badly and i longed for a girl to hold me..

i am still lonely but i'm not suffering.. i accept that and i feel more confident.. i may not have very high standard's ,obviously they have to be female and near enough my age and show compassion.. little else matters to me.. point is i feel better since i started buddhism and much pain has left already
    edited May 2006
    What an uplifting post, Celebrin, and how refreshing. Nice one. :)
    edited May 2006
    Oh Wow! It's been months here since my last post... And I must confess, all, that my opinion of the Bible has softened alot... Well, I may be wrong, but I think now my experience with Christianity has become a mix of Simon's, Thitch's and my own... :rockon:

It's amazing how one can turn an ultimate hatred to actually adopt it as one of his spiritual roots in about a few years... Life amazes me at times...
  • edited May 2006
    i view the bible as a dodgy rip off .. of judaism which doesnt preach understanding of truth or is truth

feel free to argue that, but islam and judaism believe jesus was a prophet .. vs christianity where hes a son of god.. .. trust the rip off religion? or the originals? strangely enough islam and christianity owe a lot to the jews.. take that Nazi's woooahhaha lol

course i dont have your experience.. which book did you read?
    edited May 2006
    Well I never do read those books as literally as Christians... More of abstractly... Say, maybe when you read 1 John 4:10, you see it as how Love should be instead of how you should Love Christ. God, not a personal guy, but true enough, an ancient invention, but yet a product of the philosophers of ethics as a representation of Truth, Life and Everything... Beyond words, I really do not mean to be esoteric, but I really felt the idea of God come to me after a well... "Vision", and I tell you it is nothing like what the monotheists tell Him to be, neither is Christ. I also saw how the Trinity existed, an ideal that was not impossible, and in fact REQUIRED each one of three to EXIST. God as Truth, Christ as Love, the Spirit as Mindfulness. To me now, it seems like being mindful you feel Love in you, and touch the Truth... I know I am in no way a Christian (I'm even heretic!!!) and sound pure crazy but I am completely sane honestly and I am inspired and I dare claim to have understood Christ in my own right even if the Christians deny so... You can try that old Captain Cook joke on me... :crazy:

There's this book by Thitch Thanh Huat you might like... It's entitled "Living Buddha, Living Christ"... Excellent, it just seems to make Buddhism not sound like a mimic of Christianity or vice versa, and in fact tell that BOTH ARE the same. Try and remove the notion of LABEL in your head to understand what I mean without myself sounding blasphemous or heretic. :rockon: :p

Questions, all? :) and Celebrin, I realised in the end really, LABEL is totally useless.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Oh Wow! It's been months here since my last post... And I must confess, all, that my opinion of the Bible has softened alot... Well, I may be wrong, but I think now my experience with Christianity has become a mix of Simon's, Thitch's and my own... :rockon:

It's amazing how one can turn an ultimate hatred to actually adopt it as one of his spiritual roots in about a few years... Life amazes me at times...

Remember this occurrence, Ajani, and allow it to happen in all areas of your life more and more. This is flexibility and it will ensure a happier, more meaningful life for you.

Well done, sweet Ajani.