Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My dilemma

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I have this problem troubling me and would like some advice please. I'll keep it short

Yesterday I saw my mum crying in the kitchen and when I asked her why she was saying that I am not going to get married. To make matters worse my sister recently gave an announcement to my mum that she is NEVER gonna have kids...EVER ... No grandchildren... :D

I explained to her the best I can that I am celibate and I have no interest whatsoever in any sexual relationship. She doesn't get it. She doesn't understand my meditation and all the sutta books either. She is confused and worried.

What can I do guys? I know I shouldn't be asking folks in an internet forum of a life's decision but I have got pretty lame lately :(

1) Should I not cling to my celibacy and get married so that my mum will be happy

2) Or should I get on with my life knowing that my mum will be unhappy

This is a major dilemma :( I know it is selfish of her to put me in this situation but she has sacrificed so much to bring us up so I cannot just say "this is my life". It's complicated. Besides my mum is worried that I will be left alone with no one to take care of me when she dies ...

What would you do if you were me?

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    At the end of the day Deshy, only you can live your life, don't let your mum live it for you. If you want to be celibate, that's your choice not hers.

Nios.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Your Mum will get over it.

If you adjust your life to please her, you won't be doing anybody any favors, not her, and especially not you and your hypothetical partner and prospective children.
  • edited March 2010
    Deshy,

I would say take a Zen mindset to the whole matter. You cannot control your mother's emotions or reactions to news she considers bad so don't concern yourself over it at all. You lose your buddha mindset when you do.

Now as to celibacy, obviously that's your choice, and really unrelated to the matter you mentioned. None of us can truly predict what's "comin' down the pipe" save what we create with karma. For all you know, tomorrow you and/or your sister might meet someone who pushes all those right buttons, and causes you both to rethink celibacy. It's a "crap shoot" to use vulgar vernacular. Thus, it's best not to dwell on the consequences of a chosen life of celibacy any more than to perceive that you have caused suffering by your choice.

I wish you well
    Nanimo
  • edited March 2010
    ....Your "Mum" is old school or what?
    Tell her you will have kids when THEY are ready to be born. She's probably afraid she wont see it ..because she will be dead.

Tell her that TheFound says marriage is useless and sex is to make babies. Tell her to smarten up (or use nicer words like, "be more open-minded", because she's making you feel like shit over nothing....

Clinging to her delusional views of society....you know.. I have a person in my life that is like that. She really cares what other people think. She thinks a womans place is in the kitchen. (I'm a man though for future reference)
    .... She wants grandchildren for selfish reasons..she wants to fit society's PROFILE so she can go to social gatherings and talk about me, and how "WELL" i'm doing.. give me a break..
    apparently having a husband or wife, and having kids and a career means you are advancing in life ..
    LOL.. noobs..

So handle it delicately, I know some people I term OLD SCHOOL, are unwavering in their ignorance, clinging to their views, because they are foolish and afraid.. mostly afraid.. I got kicked out of her house because I told her God probably doesn't exist..
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    ....Your "Mum" is old school or what?
    Tell her you will have kids when THEY are ready to be born. She's probably afraid she wont see it ..because she will be dead.

Tell her that TheFound says marriage is useless and sex is to make babies. Tell her to smarten up (or use nicer words like, "be more open-minded", because she's making you feel like shit over nothing....

Clinging to her delusional views of society....you know.. I have a person in my life that is like that. She really cares what other people think. She thinks a womans place is in the kitchen. (I'm a man though for future reference)
    .... She wants grandchildren for selfish reasons..she wants to fit society's PROFILE so she can go to social gatherings and talk about me, and how "WELL" i'm doing.. give me a break..
    apparently having a husband or wife, and having kids and a career means you are advancing in life ..
    LOL.. noobs..

So handle it delicately, I know some people I term OLD SCHOOL, are unwavering in their ignorance, clinging to their views, because they are foolish and afraid.. mostly afraid.. I got kicked out of her house because I told her God probably doesn't exist..

Wow TF this is a pretty good, to the point, in the face reply... hehehe... I should use this language to my mum once in a while you know. Thanks :D

As you said this whole thing is partially about maintaining social status for her.

And thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Really appreciate your time
  • edited March 2010
    Ah TheFound, I've been on this board for no more than two days now and you've made me laugh many times. I too find it difficult not to be sidetrack by people's emotional delusions. I try to explain as clearly as possible why I choose to do what I do, just it can be difficult for many people to understand. But do your best at making the person feel comfortable with it, and be compassionate. "Om Mani Padme Hum"
  • edited March 2010
    It is your life and not your mother's.

I'm a mother of a 20 year old myself and I would be sad if my son decided not to marry and have children but it would be his, and only his decision.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Deshy,

Your mum is just being the way mums often are with their daughters. She loves you and wants what she thinks is best for you according to her own way of seeing the world.

If you are an adult you can't live your life to please your mum (other than being kind to her and helping out when you can) you have to make your own decisions.

Tell her gently and lovingly that its what you really want in your own life and ask her if she can just accept that and be happy for you.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hi Deshy,

Your mum is just being the way mums often are with their daughters. She loves you and wants what she thinks is best for you according to her own way of seeing the world.

If you are an adult you can't live your life to please your mum (other than being kind to her and helping out when you can) you have to make your own decisions.

Tell her gently and lovingly that its what you really want in your own life and ask her if she can just accept that and be happy for you.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

Thanks Dazz and everyone else for your kind replies.

Actually I had a chat with my mum and explained to her that I got to make my own decisions. I guess our parents don't understand all these; as you said they are used to looking at the world the normal way. I just told my mum that if she wants to see me happy then I am happier now than ever before. That really cheered her up ;)

Btw. TF is a really funny guy lol
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I have no interest whatsoever in any sexual relationship

Sometimes I think it'd be awesome if I were that strong :)

I'm married but neither of us wants babies at this point. We just don't the see the point in it-- such a huge, difficult commitment and for what? If the instinct to nurture does awaken, it would be more reasonable for us to try and help some of the multitudes of neglected children that already exist.

...As for parents, they always have a vision for us, that probably never changes. I think it's important to always stick to our guns once we're past our teenage years but do so very gently.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Just thinking about my daughters (they are 21 and twins) and what happens if they decide they do not want children. It is funny but when you have children, I think most people think differently about it than others who don't do.

It is hard at times to understand how others may not want children when you have a mindset like that. It is expected. Probably reminiscent of what many think of sons or daughters becoming monks, priests, nuns and not ever wanting children.

We have been taught that lineages are to be continued. From royalty to pauper we have been conditioned to believe that no matter what, our dna must go on. We are a funny bunch indeed.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sometimes I think it'd be awesome if I were that strong :)

Celibacy is not a choice you make and keep by sheer will power. It's a natural state of mind that has come from dispassion for a very crude form of sensual pleasure. (By all means I am not saying I have destroyed all defilement lol.. I still have a lot of other modes of cravings).

The point I am trying to make is, if you feel that you need to be strong to be celibate then you are not ready for that yet. We don't practice to be celibate. As we practice we naturally incline towards celibacy. It's a comfortable state rather than a forced choice of act.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Deshy,

The way I see it is that it is best to get your mum to embrace the Dhamma.
    I tell you, monks, there are two people who are not easy to repay. Which two? Your mother & father. Even if you were to carry your mother on one shoulder & your father on the other shoulder for 100 years, and were to look after them by anointing, massaging, bathing, & rubbing their limbs, and they were to defecate & urinate right there [on your shoulders], you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. If you were to establish your mother & father in absolute sovereignty over this great earth, abounding in the seven treasures, you would not in that way pay or repay your parents. Why is that? Mother & father do much for their children. They care for them, they nourish them, they introduce them to this world. But anyone who rouses his unbelieving mother & father, settles & establishes them in conviction; rouses his unvirtuous mother & father, settles & establishes them in virtue; rouses his stingy mother & father, settles & establishes them in generosity; rouses his foolish mother & father, settles & establishes them in discernment: To this extent one pays & repays one's mother & father."
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well, I am telling her things when I get the space to do so. I say space because most of the time she is not interested and would get out of the way when I start talking about Dhamma :D Thanks pegembara