Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does the Internet Make it Harder to Awaken?

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
Does the Internet make it harder for people to awaken? I've wasted so much time and energy online over the years, and often it seems to dull my perception. Sitting staring at a computer screen for hours just kind of puts me in a different world--and not one in which I really feel awake or conscious. (I'm using these terms in the Buddhist sense, meaning "aware," "alert," "present," etc.)

The recent breakdown of my laptop--which I used to use constantly--has really helped me awaken much more lately. I'm more aware of what's going on in my life in general, which helps greatly with Right Vision. I believe a big part of this is that I'm no longer as "plugged into" the Internet as I was before. Sort of like waking up from the "Matrix". It's been like a breath of fresh air, and in fact I've decided not to get my laptop fixed, because I feel so much more alive without it.

Does anyone else have this sense, that the Internet actually puts you in a "sleeping," disconnected state? Is the Internet a stumbling-block to your practice at all?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I personally find it a terrible distraction. I have actually been experimenting by not going on the laptop as much. I was shocked to discover that I'm suffering attachment to it. It seems to be a compulsion to keep going over to the computer and switching it on. I'm using it as avoidance, I'm working through this now and facing my thoughts and emotions.

I've had a much more mindful day today, this is the first time I've been on here today. I've been reading my 'Miracle of Mindfulness' book instead (mindfully, I might add :D)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yes, it definitely is for me.
  • edited March 2010
    I think the internet only makes it harder as much as going out and partying, watching excessive TV, or anything else that is in general not working toward the goal. If you replace some of the time you spend on other activities with study of the Dhamma or meditation, it will be more conducive to awakening.
  • edited March 2010
    Janine wrote: »
    I personally find it a terrible distraction. I have actually been experimenting by not going on the laptop as much. I was shocked to discover that I'm suffering attachment to it. It seems to be a compulsion to keep going over to the computer and switching it on.:D)
    I know exactly what you mean, Janine! I was using it like some people use "impulse food," you know, like potato chips/crisps or popcorn, where you just keep mechanically shoveling it into your mouth, even if you're not hungry. I passed up so many better activities to "log on".

While the loss of my computer is in some ways a disadvantage, I have to say that the benefits I've gained from losing it far outweigh them! I'm meditating at my center 4 days a week, going to museums, socializing more, meeting new people, and starting to go back to the gym--all stuff I used to forego in favor of "logging on."

Janine, I wish you success in your non-attachment campaign; and if all else fails, then I hope your laptop konks out on you. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean, Janine! I was using it like some people use "impulse food," you know, like potato chips/crisps or popcorn, where you just keep mechanically shoveling it into your mouth, even if you're not hungry. I passed up so many better activities to "log on".

While the loss of my computer is in some ways a disadvantage, I have to say that the benefits I've gained from losing it far outweigh them! I'm meditating at my center 4 days a week, going to museums, socializing more, meeting new people, and starting to go back to the gym--all stuff I used to forego in favor of "logging on."

Janine, I wish you success in your non-attachment campaign; and if all else fails, then I hope your laptop konks out on you. ;)

Thank you Zendo,

I'm not sure my husband would like it konking out on me though, he's a computer geek.

I think mindful surfing is the key. :lol:
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    I think the internet only makes it harder as much as going out and partying, watching excessive TV, or anything else that is in general not working toward the goal. If you replace some of the time you spend on other activities with study of the Dhamma or meditation, it will be more conducive to awakening.
    Stephen, I think you're right; and I also think that in the case of the Internet, there may be something else happening as well.

The Internet is an unprecedented thing in human history: a medium that is at once interactive, visual, and electronic. So while I do agree with you, I also think the Internet is in a category of its own, and has a power distinct from anything we've seen previously.

In my case, it's a compelling, perhaps even addictive power; and from the point of view of cultivating awareness, it can be a singularly potent factor in keeping the mind "asleep". Again, just like the "Matrix" image of people lined up with computer cables plugged into their minds.

To make things even more surreal: the Internet (as we think of it) doesn't exactly exist. It's a fantastically complex web of illusions, which our minds interpret as people, things, and ideas, but which are actually a vast quantity of electronic impulses surging through a worldwide network of wires and cables. This is what we "plug into" when we go online. It's not real, it's an illusion. Even the words you're reading now aren't really "there," in any conventional sense--they're binary codes, floating in "cyberspace," whatever/wherever that is.

So if the Internet isn't "real," then it seems to me "plugging into" it pulls us that much further from what is real. Which (I think) is why, when I "unplugged" from my laptop, I suddenly started "coming back to life" again.
  • edited March 2010
    Janine wrote: »
    Thank you Zendo,

I'm not sure my husband would like it konking out on me though, he's a computer geek.

I think mindful surfing is the key. :lol:
    Absolutely--if you can do it! :)
  • edited March 2010
    Well, yeah, sure. Still, I did most all of my Dhamma study on the internet so if used a certain way it doesn't matter. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    mindful surfing indubitably we should carefully consider our time spent with computer as anything else and maximize its use while eschewing all idleness we spend on it and grabass as for chatting on forums sometimes when chatting the chatting is going nowhere and even if it's buddhists discussing things that doesn't necessarily make it productive
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    mindful surfing...
    The trouble is, so much of it is designed to degrade attention.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Does the Internet make it harder for people to awaken?

Definitely. We should all be practising rather than wasting time online.
    Ahem.:lol:

P
  • edited March 2010
    Mindful surfing, indubitably. We should carefully consider our time spent with computer (as anything else), and maximize its use, while eschewing all idleness we spend on it and grabass. As for chatting on forums, sometimes when chatting, the chatting is going nowhere; and even if it's Buddhists discussing things, that doesn't necessarily make it productive.
    All very true, Pietro--though I'm not sure what "grabass" means.

Hmm...this is odd. Is it me, or did your post somehow become punctuated when I quoted it? :confused:
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Still, I did most all of my Dhamma study on the internet so if used a certain way it doesn't matter. ;)
    I might say rather, "If used a certain way, it can be beneficial," a conclusion which clearly follows from your premise.

Whether it "matters" or not is a totally different question altogether, because (and this is the point I'm trying to make) do we really know what effects "plugging" our minds into this vast electronic network of illusions day after day is having on our spirits?

The answer to that question (as is always the case with new things which humanity plunges into) is not yet fully known, and may not be for a long time. But what is known is that for the first time in history, a vast network of machines has got the minds of humanity firmly connected to it.

Most of the human race exist at a level of consciousness low enough that they don't think to question this strange fact; but Buddhists are different. We are the ones who are "waking up," becoming aware of things on subtler and subtler levels, things others might not be paying attention to. We're the ones who should be noticing this, and questioning it.

That's all I'm saying, is that we should question it. I'm not saying the Internet is "bad"--just that we should take a step back and ask ourselves: "Just what effect is this having on me and my life?"

In my case, disengaging (even partially) from the Internet had a very strong and measurably positive effect, like waking up from a dream; and this fact showed me that the Internet had actually been hindering me from awakening, i.e. countering my practice.
  • edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    The trouble is, so much of it is designed to degrade attention.
    That's definitely one problem, I agree.

Then there are also more subtle issues involved, which for the most part don't register on the radar of our consciousness. Like the fact that our attention is locked for long hours on things that aren't even really there. We invest our whole mental focus, day after day, in a one-dimensional realm of illusion, staring into electronic screens (with things like magnetic fields and ions swirling all around and through our heads--again, factors we aren't really conscious of), and all the while our connection to each other weakens.

Every moment we spend on the Internet is a moment we're not interacting with another human being. We think we're talking with each other here on this site, but we're actually engaged in coded electronic interactions with 1's and 0's. Yes, we read what each other is saying, but we do it in a way several steps removed from actual human contact. We're actually expanding the gap, pushing away from each other rather than coming closer.

It's just something to think about, is all I'm saying. The Internet has many benefits, for sure; but as an artificial electronic medium of unprecedented power, it can also push us further away from the things that are most important in life, the things that are most real.
  • edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    Definitely. We should all be practising rather than wasting time online.P
    I agree! :)
  • edited March 2010
    Zendo,

I think that the human mind always sees change as being more stimulating than the same old/same old. When change happens, whatever it may be, you feel more alive.

I have even heard people singing the praises of being on the front lines in a war. “I was never more alive, than during those war years," a WWII vet said, nostalgically.

Perhaps after a little while without your computer, when you have once again grown complacent, coming back to the web, simply because it is change, will once again be stimulating, and wake you up.
    : ^ )

Quote: "Variety is the spice of life."

This is probably the same reason that we don’t just eat a big plate of the same foods for supper every night and simply supplement it with lots of vitamins, because we may just fall asleep on our plate and smother in the mashed potatoes. Not pretty. ; ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Zendo,

I think that the human mind always sees change as being more stimulating than the same old/same old. When change happens, whatever it may be, you feel more alive.

I have even heard people singing the praises of being on the front lines in a war. “I was never more alive, than during those war years," a WWII vet said, nostalgically.

Perhaps after a little while without your computer, when you have once again grown complacent, coming back to the web, simply because it is change, will once again be stimulating, and wake you up.
    : ^ )

Quote: "Variety is the spice of life."

This is probably the same reason that we don’t just eat a big plate of the same foods for supper every night and simply supplement it with lots of vitamins, because we may just fall asleep on our plate and smother in the mashed potatoes. Not pretty. ; ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9

Perhaps that's how it will turn out, Subjectivity9. Maybe after a brief period of change, the "novelty" of my newfound freedom will indeed wear off.

Maybe we wake up once in awhile, and we get excited, but sooner or later we fall back to sleep again, and realize the 'being awake' part wasn't actually real after all.

I tend toward another interpretation. My goal is to ride the wave as consciously as I can, and extend the ride as long as possible, and learn what I can from it; and hopefully raise it higher, in time. To raise my consciousness little by little.

Thanks for your contribution!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010

I love mashed potatoes and would eat them every day with or without vitamins.:p

P
  • edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    I love mashed potatoes and would eat them every day with or without vitamins.:p

P
    I second that motion!

Let the record show that S9's "Mashed Potato Argument" has been refuted. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Hey guys,

I didn't to mean bash and smash the noble potato. They are nice little vegetable in their own plain spoken way. Perhaps even under appreciated. WOW that's sad.

S9 begins to cry. : ^ (

Please forgive me, and let me play, too.

Okay, I'm over it. ; ^ )

Smiles,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Hey guys,

I didn't to mean bash and smash the noble potato. They are nice little vegetable in their own plain spoken way. Perhaps even under appreciated. WOW that's sad.

S9 begins to cry. : ^ (

Please forgive me, and let me play, too.

Okay, I'm over it. ; ^ )

Smiles,
    S9
    S9, you are forgiven!

Here, as a token of friendship: I]hands him a potato[/I ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Zendo,

Wow, what a great potato. Friendship accepted.

S9 hands Zendo friendship all tied up with a ribbon, and a price tag still connected so he'll be very impressed. : ^ )

Miles of smiles,
    S9
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    As with anything it's all in how you use it. Personally speaking I've enriched my knowledge and understanding immeasurably through the internet.
  • edited March 2010
    zendo wrote:
    Magically punctuated post.
    why i ought to punch your lights out you son of a bitch!
  • edited March 2010
    Zendo,

Wow, what a great potato. Friendship accepted.

S9 hands Zendo friendship all tied up with a ribbon, and a price tag still connected so he'll be very impressed. : ^ )

Miles of smiles,
    S9
    Thanks, S9!

I]glances at price tag[/I

$14.99.

Wal-Mart.

Sweet.
  • edited March 2010
    why i ought to punch your lights out you son of a bitch!
    Why?
  • edited April 2010
    not really . Just make your internet use in moderation/ middle way .