Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Good Deed(?)

edited March 2010 in General Banter
Today, as I walked back to work from lunch, I passed a metermaid, who mumbled to herself as she walked down a line of parked cars.

She noticed me, and for some reason decided to let me (a total stranger) into her internal monologue: "I'm just trying to figure out which car to tag. Probably this one, it only has five minutes on it."

This focused my attention on the parking meter (which I definitely would not have noticed otherwise), and as I gazed at it, the thought occurred to me: "I should put money in it."

So, when the metermaid was a "safe distance away," I slipped a quarter into the meter, and then walked away, smiling and patting myself on the back for "outsmarting" the metermaid, "doing a good deed," "saving" the driver, and other such mental concepts.

But then I got to examining my action from a "bigger picture" outlook. True, I may (or may not) have saved that driver money...but did I also take money away from the city? Maybe the town is in need of that $25 (or whatever) revenue--did I just take revenue away from the town?

What do you think? Am I just over-analyzing it? Or am I trying to look at it a little more deeply, see it from different sides? Is there a "right way" to view this, or is it a case of every issue having more than one side, with no "right answer"?

Maybe the point is less about "doing the right thing," and more about learning to see beyond the surface, I don't know.

What do you think?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    It sounds like you did what you thought was right at that time. There is nothing that can be done to change it now. Carry on.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Focus on your primary intention.

Don't you realise that every positive action you carry out, has a negative effect or consequence, elsewhere? Every time.

You do your best, in that situation, with right Intention.
    Then, as has been said, move on, let it go, and live mindfully.
  • edited March 2010
    I think you are over thinking the good deed that you did. As far as I'm concerned regardless of motivation (out-smarting the meter maid, or helping the other driver) you did something good for someone else, and the icing on the cake is that they will never know it kind of makes it altruistic even if it was not done for altruistic reasons.

So I would say, you did something nice, don't dwell on it, pat yourself or feel bad about it, just be glad you did it and move on.

In the past 2 days I have made it a point to be very pleasant to everyone I deal with and I think\feel that it has made an positive effect not just on me but on them. People seem to take a quick breath when I wish them a nice day with sincerity etc and seem to be the happier for it.

Does it make me feel good, yes but in the end I just want to do it because it's a good thing to do... or should I say it's the right thing to do?

so with that in mind, I hope you have a wonderful day!

ivan
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Today, as I walked back to work from lunch, I passed a metermaid, who mumbled to herself as she walked down a line of parked cars.

She noticed me, and for some reason decided to let me (a total stranger) into her internal monologue: "I'm just trying to figure out which car to tag. Probably this one, it only has five minutes on it."

This focused my attention on the parking meter (which I definitely would not have noticed otherwise), and as I gazed at it, the thought occurred to me: "I should put money in it."

So, when the metermaid was a "safe distance away," I slipped a quarter into the meter, and then walked away, smiling and patting myself on the back for "outsmarting" the metermaid, "doing a good deed," "saving" the driver, and other such mental concepts.

But then I got to examining my action from a "bigger picture" outlook. True, I may (or may not) have saved that driver money...but did I also take money away from the city? Maybe the town is in need of that $25 (or whatever) revenue--did I just take revenue away from the town?

What do you think? Am I just over-analyzing it? Or am I trying to look at it a little more deeply, see it from different sides? Is there a "right way" to view this, or is it a case of every issue having more than one side, with no "right answer"?

Maybe the point is less about "doing the right thing," and more about learning to see beyond the surface, I don't know.

What do you think?

Maybe the person wouldn't have paid the fine anyway, and the city would have then possibly spent more than $25 in pursuing that fine.
  • edited March 2010
    Max H wrote: »
    It sounds like you did what you thought was right at that time. There is nothing that can be done to change it now. Carry on.
    I agree with what you say here, and I would also submit that by reflecting on an experience, we can sometimes gain useful insights.

Especially with the help of fellow practitioners--thanks for your input!
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Focus on your primary intention.
    This sounds like good advice, federica. By "primary," do you mean "first," or "strongest," or something else?
    Don't you realise that every positive action you carry out, has a negative effect or consequence, elsewhere? Every time.
    Is this really true? What about petting a kitten? Does that have a negative effect somewhere?
    You do your best, in that situation, with right Intention.
    I agree this is sound Buddhist counsel, and a reminder of the importance of sticking to the Eightfold Path.

Thanks federica!
  • edited March 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned regardless of motivation (out-smarting the meter maid, or helping the other driver) you did something good for someone else
    So you're saying a good deed is always a good deed, even if it's done from an impure motive?

I have often pondered that question myself, and so far I have come out in agreement with you. It would be interesting to know what the Buddha said about this, if anything.
    In the past 2 days I have made it a point to be very pleasant to everyone I deal with and I think\feel that it has made an positive effect not just on me but on them. People seem to take a quick breath when I wish them a nice day with sincerity etc and seem to be the happier for it.
    That's great, Ivan! What inspired you to do that?
  • edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    So you're saying a good deed is always a good deed, even if it's done from an impure motive?

I have often pondered that question myself, and so far I have come out in agreement with you. It would be interesting to know what the Buddha said about this, if anything.

That's great, Ivan! What inspired you to do that?

Or the converse question - is a bad consequence performed with a good intention still a bad deed which will produce bad fruit?
  • edited March 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Maybe the person wouldn't have paid the fine anyway, and the city would have then possibly spent more than $25 in pursuing that fine.
    This is a very interesting point, Takeahnase, and I see what you're getting at: there's no way to see every possibility.

I guess maybe I'm over-thinking it, but it has yielded some useful insights. Thanks for your input, everyone.
  • edited March 2010
    Or the converse question - is a bad consequence performed with a good intention still a bad deed which will produce bad fruit?
    Great question! The mirror-image of the other one.

If we could determine the answers to both these questions, we might gain some valuable wisdom.

I will reflect on it--thanks, Karma.
  • edited March 2010
    An easy way to judge this is to think of a similar situation. If a bank is about to foreclose on your friend's house because they're a little behind, and you lend them money so they can keep their home, are you really taking anything away from the bank?
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    An easy way to judge this is to think of a similar situation. If a bank is about to foreclose on your friend's house because they're a little behind, and you lend them money so they can keep their home, are you really taking anything away from the bank?
    It's a very different situation though, because first of all, a bank is a private institution, whereas a city is a municipal government; and secondly, it's your friend, not a stranger.

With the bank, you're preventing a bunch of greedy fat cats from getting your friend's property--an easy choice to make. In the present case, for the sake of a stranger, I'm preventing the town from collecting revenue--revenue which has been projected for the town, based on things like collecting various fines, and used for the upkeep and maintenance of the town. This is different from your cut-and-dried bank example, the answer is not quite as clear.

I'm not sure there's a "rule" for things like this. I remember awhile back, there was a story about a woman who kept putting money in everyone's meter, and it became a problem; but to her, that was a good deed, I guess.

The broader question--when should we give money to other people in general?--has also plagued me for a long time. I have gone back and forth, and I still don't have a "rule" for handling it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »

Whoa! You been readin' them New Age books again? Where did you come up with that one?

Palzang