Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Donald Lopez, Jr.

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited March 2010 in General Banter
Was just cleaning up my desk when I came across a photo that rattled my cage. Talk about small world.. Here's the story:

"Airplane" was probably my first word. I've been crazy about airplanes and flying ever since I can remember. Maybe I was a bird in a former life. In any event, my life has been intertwined with lots of other like-minded people. One of those is my best friend of 30 years who works at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington. Through him I had the honor to meet and get to know Donald Lopez, who, prior to his death a couple of years ago, was an assistant director of the museum. Don was a really special man. He was a WWII fighter pilot, a test pilot, and an all around nice guy.

When Don passed away I went to his memorial service which was held at the museum. Despite the name, I had never put 2 and 2 together that Donald Lopez, Jr. was the son of the Don Lopez I knew! One of the foremost Buddhist scholars in America (probably the world), and here I knew his father! Don Junior and I have exchanged some emails, and I plan on visiting him in Ann Arbor next time I go to Michigan to visit my parents.

It truly is a small world.

Mtns