Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you a dying monk in Tibet? Don't forget: apply for the PRC reincarnation licence!

fivebellsfivebells Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Today
(From 2007)
In one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission. According to a statement issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs, the law, which goes into effect next month and strictly stipulates the procedures by which one is to reincarnate, is "an important move to institutionalize management of reincarnation."
It's so absurd, I have to wonder whether it was one of those hostile translations, like that Israeli organization used to do for Arabic news sources...

Comments

• edited March 2010
    hahahaha! someone needs to get into tibet and start the underground reincarnation railroad.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    (From 2007)

It's so absurd, I have to wonder whether it was one of those hostile translations, like that Israeli organization used to do for Arabic news sources...

Yeah, that almost sounds to ridiculous to be true. One the other hand though I wouldn't put it past China.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It's the PRC's way of ensuring that they get to pick the next Dalai Lama, along with any other significant tulkus. They control the process by which high level clerics are chosen in all the other religions practiced in the PRC. If the Tibetans use reincarnation, then the PRC has to control that also.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh nevermind, I thought the post was "Are you a dying monkey"...
  • edited March 2010
    the fact that reincarnation happens at all is the very evidence that sexual desire hasn't been extinguished.

all this happen in the bardos when such unextinguished desires sucked(literally)
    one into the female's womb.

that's why celibacy is a must if one is to enter nirvana.

peace to all