Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

From Another Site...

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Today
Buddhism is psychology only vaguer. It endorses mind pracitces. Buddhists are trying to use human nature to change human nature which can't be done. it merely exchanges one set of actions for another. In order to "deal" with sin, Buddhists have to isolate themselves from temptation in meditation rather than be in the world but not of it. Underneath their "peacful" facade is a cauldron of unexpressed feelings.

A Christian posted this arguing with a Buddhist. Any thoughts? :grumble:

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    For some this may be very true, but for others they are beyond such nonsense.

Buddhists are more trying to use human nature to be aware of the true nature of all things rather than changing human nature through itself. This isn't always so easy because of all of our built in habits, instincts, and learned behaviors, but it is possible in my opinion. If I didn't think so I would bother practicing Buddhism. :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Where did you find that?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I was talking to Nick about many things yesterday, and pointing out that the majority of world religions are capable of being dictatorial with their followers, some even resorting to brain-washing in the extreme.... Buddhism, by virtue of the fact that there is no fixed recognised Deity, requires that you Look Within and explore, control and Master your own mind (this is vague and loose terminology - don't no-one shoot me!!)and is a Philosophy or Religion (let's not quibble) where such practise is highly unlikely, if not impossible.
    I can understand how some people would become attached and cling to Buddhism in an effort to present an identity to outsiders, (have spoken to some like this) but I would venture to suggest that the have not understood the true intention of Buddhism and are using it to mask or to replace what is lacking in their own lives.... Buddhism requires that you use self-discipline, Effort and practice to reveal the Self that has always Been.... to Peel away Illusion and reveal the genuine article - the Jewel within, not some Zirconia paste bauble that personally speaking, I've had enough of to replace the Crown jewels.....!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    You're right, it is (virtually) impossible to change human nature by using human nature. That's why we follow the teachings of enlightened mind rather than samsaric mind. Using samsaric mind, like the Christians do, is like one drunk teaching another not to drink!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    You're right, it is (virtually) impossible to change human nature by using human nature. That's why we follow the teachings of enlightened mind rather than samsaric mind. Using samsaric mind, like the Christians do, is like one drunk teaching another not to drink!

Palzang

Ooooooh, I wish I'd said that!! That's brilliant!! May I borrow it, Venerable Palzang - ?!?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Of course, you can. I'll have my copyright lawyer contact you. Just kidding!

Palzang