Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Need help finding a monastery near NYC.

edited March 2010 in General Banter
My friend's brother went to a zen monastery in both California and France and both monasteries had a similar setup.

You could go there and stay as long or short as you wanted and then pay a fee for your stay, which included the cost of food and shelter. While there you would meditate, eat, and if you wanted to help pay for part of your stay you could work in the kitchen or clean, but you had to confirm this option before arrival.

I'm looking for something similar near NYC. I've come across some retreats and week-long sessions, but I don't think they would present the same environment since they are not used to people circulating in and out, or staying extended periods.

I ideally would like to do the same thing he did but I have a much tighter budget so flying out to California or France is not really an option. It would need to be some place I could reach by public transportation such as train or bus.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I'm willing to compromise. Is there any option that comes close?