Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would like to find a monastery near NYC where I can stay indefinitely.

edited June 2010 in Sanghas
There were two zen monasteries that my brother's friend stayed at in France and California where he was able to go and practice meditation there indefinitely.

He had to pay some fee, which included both shelter and food. While there he could stay as long as he wanted to or leave when he wanted to. And, because of a pre-confirmed arrangement, he could also help pay for his stay by cleaning or helping out in the kitchen.

I am looking for a monastery near NYC with a similar setup but everything I'm finding is either a retreat or a week-long session. I'm hoping I can find something that I can reach by using either bus or train.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Karma Triyana Dharmachakra, a Tibetan Monastery in Woodstock, NY often has staff positions open. You get room and board and $100 a month. Can get from NYC to the bottom of the mountain by Adirondack Trailways.

http://www.kagyu.org/ktd/staffopportunities.php
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Zen Mountain Monastery is also in the neighborhood of Woodstock.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not really sure of anything official, but you might also want to look at staffing opportunities at retreat centers.

Just a thought!
  • edited June 2010
    I don't want to make another thread but I'm the same. However I live in NJ, I'm also a full time college student, and go to school in Delaware and was hoping for somewhere I can go for the summers that I wouldn't be bound to by employment. Also, I don't need payment, I'm perfectly happy just working to earn my stay.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated. Also, I know they've got bills to pay but how is someone supposed to pay to stay for months at a monastery? I'd imagine most of them would not be able to return to their jobs afterwards... Also, how come other monasteries I've seen are tax exempt and survive on donation? as opposed to $50 a day...
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ithica Zen Centre