Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Was the Buddha a Mysic

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No, in the olden days I would have called you a wanker. It still sticks. I'm on your side on this one, very roughly speaking. Go find another fight to pick with me.

I don't want to fight with you, you aggressive little thug.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Go find another fight to pick with me.
    I don't want to fight with you, you aggressive little thug.
    Good choice. Let's fight about whether or not I'm a thug. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Good choice. Let's fight about whether or not I'm a thug. :)

Oh can we Dorothy? Can we?

It will be more ways to hide away, wont it.
    edited March 2010
    Good choice. Let's fight about whether my rejection of your useless and impractical pontifications amounts to hiding from something as yet unspecified. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Good choice. Let's fight about whether my rejection of your useless and impractical pontifications amounts to hiding from something as yet unspecified. :)

You are aggressive, you have been since I have been at this folder. I think you are easily intimidated by thought. Anyways, I'm sure you have better things to do than continue this cock fight...

laters alligaters

Mat
    edited March 2010
    OK, let's go back to fighting about whether I'm aggressive. :)
  • edited March 2010
    OK, let's go back to fighting about whether I'm aggressive. :)

How about we just stop arguing?:) Be adult, maybe see if we can talk and if we cant just leave it at that?

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Arguing? My last four posts have contained explicit accomodations of your positions! This is the first post in which I've presented an argument.
  • edited March 2010
    interesting discussion
  • edited March 2010
    interesting discussion

Sadly if you step out of the orthodox sacred halls here you get either filibustered or passed into the forum dead zone:(

Its very sad.

What would buddha do?
  • edited March 2010
    what would buddha do about what? i was just talkin about how you guys were letting yourselves get seduced into bickering with each other, buddha would in that case leave any criticisms of another aside and exert utmost friendliness
  • edited March 2010
    what would buddha do about what? i was just talkin about how you guys were letting yourselves get seduced into bickering with each other, buddha would in that case leave any criticisms of another aside and exert utmost friendliness

My point exactly:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Sadly if you step out of the orthodox sacred halls here you get either filibustered or passed into the forum dead zone:(

And guess what?
    I didn't move this thread. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Mat.

Please show me where the Buddha addresses the issue of re-birth in any way that supports your views and claims. I ask this so I understand where you are coming from historically, because right now, nothing you are posting follows any semblance of logic to this reader. You have a list of questions, but when there are so many terms that are left undefined, it is not possible to address them.

So please...keep it simple. Show me where the Buddha taught about re-birth in any manner that supports your stated views (i.e., that re-birth is "bunkum").
  • edited March 2010
    Dear Mat,

I would suggest you carefully read this entire essay, since you made the claim that an acceptance of re-birth is wrong view.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_46.html

One of the more relevant passages to consider here, is the following:
    The Buddha includes belief in rebirth and kamma in his definition of right view, and their explicit denial in wrong view. It is not that the desire for the fruits of good karma should be one's main motive for leading a moral life, but rather that acceptance of these teachings inspires and reinforces our commitment to ethical ideals. These twin principles open a window to a wider background against which our pursuit of the moral life unfolds. They show us that our present living conditions, our dispositions and aptitudes, our virtues and faults, result from our actions in previous lives. When we realize that our present conditions reflect our kammic past, we will also realize that our present actions are the legacy that we will transmit to our kammic descendants, that is, to ourselves in future lives. The teaching of rebirth thus enables us to face the future with fortitude, dignity, and courage. If we recognize that no matter how debilitating our present conditions might be, no matter how limiting and degrading, we can still redeem ourselves, we will be spurred to exercise our will for the achievement of our future good. By our present actions of body, speech, and mind, we can transform ourselves, and by transforming ourselves, we can surmount all inner and outer obstacles and advance toward the final goal.
  • edited March 2010
    Mat.

Please show me where the Buddha addresses the issue of re-birth in any way that supports your views and claims. I ask this so I understand where you are coming from historically, because right now, nothing you are posting follows any semblance of logic to this reader. You have a list of questions, but when there are so many terms that are left undefined, it is not possible to address them.

So please...keep it simple. Show me where the Buddha taught about re-birth in any manner that supports your stated views (i.e., that re-birth is "bunkum").

Hey there. I am taking a break from public discussion of rebirth. If you have questions for me about it or would like to discuss counter points to my theory then please drop me a PM and I will gladly talk with you or anyone about this in private:)

I wish you happiness, truth and peace:)

Mat
  • edited March 2010
    Hey there. I am taking a break from public discussion of rebirth.

I think this is probably a wise decision. Okay, we can use PM. :)