Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing bugs

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I know you're not supposed to kill any creature no matter how minor, but what do you do about wasps that might sting you or mosquitos sucking your blood? I had a wasp in my car the other day. I encouraged him to leave but he wouldn't and I didn't want to get stung while I was driving so I had to swat him. Now I have a guilty conscience. :sadc: Any advice?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    It is important not to confuse the Buddhist ethic with Jainism. It is the latter which is so fixated on the life of all creatures that they sweep the path ahead of them and wear masks. Buddhism is the Middle Way: although we have respect for all life, we accept that it is not possible to avoid all killing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    At the risk of inviting criticism and being controversial, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about swatting flies.... they vomit on our food and spit on it to render it digestible to them... and any creature that is born to eat that way and lay its eggs in faeces and rotting flesh, deserves to die in the hope that its rebirth will be more to its' advantage....
    remember that when you drive, the amount of insects that end up on the front of the car is tantamount to a massacre... but it's not your fault.... Your intention was to encourage the wasp to leave. it 'chose' to ignore your request, and you took the only course of action which was to render your journey safe. Well, we've all done questionable things - some worse than others. So accept what you did, and leave it be. Tomorrow will bring a new set of decisions for you to ponder.
    "Sufficient unto the day the troubles thereof". Accept. Observe. Learn. And then, Let Go. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Although your past bad deeds cannot be undone, you can overcome your guilt:

Sankha Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn42-008.html

Hiri (conscience) is a guardian of the world:

Lokapala Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an-02-009-tb0.html

My advice is that if you are feeling guilty about it there must be a reason why, so learn from that reason and do your best to refrain from doing the same action again. :)

Jason
  • edited September 2005
    Windwalker wrote:
    I know you're not supposed to kill any creature no matter how minor, but what do you do about wasps that might sting you or mosquitos sucking your blood? I had a wasp in my car the other day. I encouraged him to leave but he wouldn't and I didn't want to get stung while I was driving so I had to swat him. Now I have a guilty conscience. :sadc: Any advice?

Only you know how truly guilty that you feel, if you can't live in peace with your actions...don't do it again....I suspect on closer examination however, you will reconcile yourself to the fact that in the great scheme of things it was a small transgression.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Don't swat bugs... Scare them to death... Best choice is to not kill... If you have to, make sure they die in a flash. "GRAB,SQUEEZE" the head... Don't play hide-and-seek before you kill it... If not it's simply gonna shit on your hand.