Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What happened to e-sangha?

2»

Comments

• TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Uhp never mind; don't see any active ones in English.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Was acquainted with the fellow who had esangha. Quite definite views on what constituted proper Buddhism. E sangha alienated many people, it was targeted and taken out, and everything was lost. He had started another site in response to the criticism of heavy handed moderating on E sangha, called "Buddhist community" that succumbed to trolling. It was allowed to fester for too long, don't know why.

It's all in the past now. On the upside, there is not one site that is perceived as being the Buddhism forum, and this has allowed for variety and an more open field.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I used to be a member of e-sangha. I found it to be a great resource for me just because of its shear size.

I agree that the "best" things do get attacked.

Was e-sangha the best? I don't know.

Was e-sangha a proper sangha? Maybe not, but maybe it doesn't matter. It was still a useful online forum.

I met some members there that I liked and some that I didn't. Like many things it's what you make of it.

I did have a moderator jump in on one of my threads to point out that I was wrong about something, and he/she did have an overly authoritative tone. I found that to be strange and off puting, but mostly just annoying.

As for the forum being sued, that's strange. Couldn't the plantiff just left the forum a long time ago before things got out of hand? It's a privately owned forum I assume, not a public service.

Just my opinions. I was sad to see e-sangha go away, but like people said it's impermance, and now I'm with Newbuddhist with you wonderful people. :D
  • edited October 2010
    A lot of hypocrites posing as Buddhists on that site. A total joke of a site.
  • edited October 2010
    A lot of hypocrites posing as Buddhists on that site. A total joke of a site.
    0.5/10
    troll_fail.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Are you insinuating that I'm a troll ?! Way to judge people you don't know.Alfonso needs to get a clue.
  • edited October 2010
    Are you insinuating that I'm a troll ?! Way to judge people you don't know.Alfonso needs to get a clue.
    Trolling is trolling, regardless the person. That post is inciting a flame war, clearly.
  • edited October 2010
    You obviously don't have a clue. That is my opinion on that particular site.You do know what an opinion is correct ? Not meant to start a flame war. What's clear is that your an idiot. Peace-out chump.
  • edited October 2010
    You obviously don't have a clue. That is my opinion on that particular site.You do know what an opinion is correct ? Not meant to start a flame war. What's clear is that your an idiot. Peace-out chump.
    oh_u.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Nice pic of yourself.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Alright now, play nice everybody.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Ja!

Give yourself a treat!

Be sweet!
  • edited October 2010
    Stop digressing :-)
    remember compassion and the hat snatcher? :D
  • edited October 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Alright now, play nice everybody.

Ok ! Sorry about that. I don't suffer fools well. I need to work on tolerance.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    Stop digressing :-)
    remember compassion and the hat snatcher? :D
    I still don't wear hats.:lol:
  • edited October 2010
    Ok ! Sorry about that. I don't suffer fools well. I need to work on tolerance.
    fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

3/10
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Uhp never mind; don't see any active ones in English.
    Like everything else on LJ, it's dying. The two most active groups are "buddhists" (unmoderated) and "buddhistgroup" (a splinter group from buddhists which decided it would like some moderation.)
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Like everything else on LJ, it's dying. The two most active groups are "buddhists" (unmoderated) and "buddhistgroup" (a splinter group from buddhists which decided it would like some moderation.)

Thanks! I just joined up with both. If you see me there (same screenname) feel free to add me. :)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Nice pic of yourself.

Please say you're not over the age of seven :facepalm:
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Please say you're not over the age of seven :facepalm:

Right speech ....:cool:
    Engage.
    edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Right speech ....:cool:
    Engage.

But! But! Sits in a corner sulking.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    But! But! Sits in a corner sulking.

Good Boy :)
    edited October 2010
    :rant:
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, one more ad hominem and the thread will be closed and the offender(s) will be reprimanded.
    edited October 2010
    Jason, your "Best Buddhist" quote shows how little moral authority you have. Why anyone here would listen to you is beyond me.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not being cheeky, but what does ad hominem and reprimanded mean?
    edited October 2010
    Jason, your "Best Buddhist" quote shows how little moral authority you have. Why anyone here would listen to you is beyond me.

:poke: I know for a fact that's a joke, and so I will say "lol"
    edited October 2010

Because, like it or not, I'm also a moderator here. And regardless of my politically incorrect sense of humour, when Fede's not around, it's my turn to carry the beating stick.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not being cheeky, but what does ad hominem and reprimanded mean?

Ad hominem = personal attacks (e.g., calling another member and 'idiot').

Reprimand = moderator action (e.g., warnings, temporary bannings, closing thread, etc.)
    edited October 2010
    Because, like it or not, I'm also a moderator here. And regardless of my politically incorrect sense of humour, when Fede's not around, it's my turn to carry the beating stick.

And where is the ol' girl (;)) may I ask?
    edited October 2010
    I am the best Buddhist ever. I think of the most thought-provoking ointment-related replies around. Don't be humbled, just call me the next Ananda. And celebrate me during Visakha Puja day. That is all.

I really love your sig, Jason, and though this is technically an ad hominem remark ("at the man," as opposed to "apropos the idea"), I believe mine is at least a positive remark.

Being able to poke gentle fun at oneself is a wonderful spiritual condition. How anyone could claim such a jocular statement might undermine one's "moral authority" escapes me entirely.

According to Teresa of Avila, three things are necessary for spiritual growth: a sense of humor, a good appetite, and the ability to sleep well.

May you be blessed with all three and many other perks as well!

Namaste!
    edited October 2010
    Well said old friend
    edited October 2010
    And where is the ol' girl (;)) may I ask?

From what I understand, her father is very ill and she's travelled to Italy to be with her mother and him.
    edited October 2010
    Oh :( I hope everything works out OK
  • edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    According to Teresa of Avila, three things are necessary for spiritual growth: a sense of humor, a good appetite, and the ability to sleep well.
    Well give me a big frilly dress and call me Daisy! There's me thinking it was the meditation when all along it was my massive appetite and love of sleep.

Speaking of which...

:buck:
    edited October 2010
    hey Daisy
    edited October 2010
    Strictly speaking, a reprimand is a rebuke. Other moderator actions would be something else.
    edited October 2010
    Strictly speaking, a reprimand is a rebuke. Other moderator actions would be something else.

Forgive my improper use of words. Just for the sake of clarity: I'll reprimand the next person to antagonize and attack another member in this thread. If that fails to settle the issue, then banning and/or thread closing will come into play.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Forgive my improper use of words. Just for the sake of clarity: I'll reprimand the next person to antagonize and attack another member in this thread. If that fails to settle the issue, then banning and/or thread closing will come into play.
    Well that make things perfectly clear.Guess no can can say that they didn't understand that.
    I thought I had gone to to the wrong thread for a while.I was looking to see peoples views on e sangha.I never visited that site myself.Not because of any thing that I had heard I just never did.Hey did I just bring this thread back on topic?Is there a prize?I like prizes:lol:
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Well that make things perfectly clear.Guess no can can say that they didn't understand that.
    I thought I had gone to to the wrong thread for a while.I was looking to see peoples views on e sangha.I never visited that site myself.Not because of any thing that I had heard I just never did.Hey did I just bring this thread back on topic?Is there a prize?I like prizes:lol:

That you did, my friend! I guess no beating stick for you. (That's your prize, by the way. :D)

For all of its flaws, E-Sangha was great resource in that it managed to collect many monastics, practitioners and scholars of various traditions all in one place. I learned a lot there.
    edited October 2010
    It appears that you can still get T-shirts from their site. I got all the way to the final purchasing stage and then pulled the plug, not wishing to throw my money away. I noticed that donations were disabled, as were all the blogs and discussions, &c.

I hope they catch the criminals that wrought this evil. Religion, sex, cars, and wars sure do make people do the craziest and most inhumane things. I know we can't ban automobiles, cuz the auto is King, but maybe we can ban the other three!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Religion ---> War

Cars
    > Sex

Sex ----> Religion

Those are the only connections I can make....

Therefore

Religion + Cars
    > War + Sex

add to the following

- Sex
    > - Religion (backwards) [and yes its hard to have sex backwards in a car]

Therefore

2 Religions + Cars ----> War

Sex is cancelled out from both sides kind of like electrons in a battery??

The alternative hypothesis

Cars ----> Religion
    > War

Somehow we have to get rid of the primary force of cars.... or else stop having sex to bring it to its conclusion....
    edited October 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    It appears that you can still get T-shirts from their site. I got all the way to the final purchasing stage and then pulled the plug, not wishing to throw my money away. I noticed that donations were disabled, as were all the blogs and discussions, &c.

I hope they catch the criminals that wrought this evil. Religion, sex, cars, and wars sure do make people do the craziest and most inhumane things. I know we can't ban automobiles, cuz the auto is King, but maybe we can ban the other three!

I say ban cars, war and religion, then spread the love! :p
    I just went off topic :eek: Is there a prize :D
    edited October 2010
    I was expecting a reprimand, or even better, a closed thread, for my prior post, but I guess you knew I was just mucking around. :)
    edited October 2010
    So do you want the thread closed? You can antagonise me if you like *shrugs*
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    'meeeooowwww' claws at dusk ladies
    edited October 2010
    Huh?