Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Author Sarah Malini Perera held ‘for offending Buddhists’ in Sri Lanka

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Today
Author Sarah Malini Perera held ‘for offending Buddhists’ in Sri Lanka

An expatriate Sri Lankan woman who wrote two books about her conversion from Buddhism to Islam has been arrested while on holiday in Sri Lanka, apparently for causing offence to Buddhists.
Sarah Malini Perera, who was born in Sri Lanka but has lived in Bahrain since 1985 and converted to Islam in 1999, was arrested last week under the country’s strict emergency laws, according to the police.

They declined to give precise details of the 38-year-old writer’s offence, but suggested that her books were deemed to have caused offence to ethnic Sinhalese Buddhists, who account for about 70 per cent of Sri Lanka’s 20 million people.

News of her arrest came just a few days after protests by Buddhist nationalists prompted the Sri Lankan Government to refuse a visa to Akon, the Senegalese-American singer who had been due to perform in Colombo next month.

Continued here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7079701.ece

From the Brad Warner Blog

Can I get a "hell no!?"

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This is really sad and a bit disturbing to read. Now I am still very green when it comes to Buddhism and I know very little on each tradition - hence why I am still confused and undecided as to which tradition to delve deeper into - but isn't this behaviour from the Sri-Lankans the antithesis of Buddhist practice?

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This isn't really surprising.

http://www.sangam.org/articles/view/?id=142

A lot has been written about religious intolerance among some groups of Sinhalese Buddhists. You'll find a lot more information if you Google.

Everybody wants to believe that their group is superior to other groups. Many Buddhists believe in Buddhist exceptionalism, the idea that Buddhist countries don't go to war, Buddhists are not violent, etc. This is no more true of Buddhists than it is true of Christians and Muslims. We're all human, and Buddhists do everything that other humans do.
  • edited April 2010
    Guess she didn't make much progress on the Buddhist path. If she had attained any state of enlightenment it wouldn't make any sense to seek out another religion. It is sad that someone would be arrested because their books are offensive to a group of people though. No one has to read them.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2010
    And if she has converted to Islam, I suspect she has other issues.
  • edited April 2010
    More beings led astray from the dharma. So much suffering in samsara.
  • edited April 2010
    Seriously guys.

"And if she has converted to Islam, I suspect she has other issues."

Nice but judgemental. If she finds Islam a better path for her, maybe it is, you ever think of that?
  • edited April 2010
    I wasn't being judgmental at all for my post, Kiku (the second quote). What I meant is that she must not have attained stream-entry, because that is the point where the mind can "see" the truth and would not turn from the path. It may be distracted or slow in following to full awakening, but the mind at that point would not turn to a faith-based religion. I don't know this woman and I don't hold anything against the Islamic religion, so I was only speaking what I do know. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    I wasn't being judgmental at all for my post, Kiku (the second quote). What I meant is that she must not have attained stream-entry, because that is the point where the mind can "see" the truth and would not turn from the path. It may be distracted or slow in following to full awakening, but the mind at that point would not turn to a faith-based religion. I don't know this woman and I don't hold anything against the Islamic religion, so I was only speaking what I do know. :)

No actually, your right, if you'd really got somewhere, your right, you wouldnt need to find another religion. (or anything else for that matter)
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »

she must not have attained stream-entry, because that is the point where the mind can "see" the truth and would not turn from the path. It may be distracted or slow in following to full awakening, but the mind at that point would not turn to a faith-based religion.

i agree with you whole heartedly stephen

as a sri lankan woman i can say who ever made that judgement against her is not a buddhist, i mean not a real buddhist

in sri lanka people (most of them) think if they are born to a buddhist family they are buddhists
    but i know there are a lot more real buddhists are among catholics (a group of christians in sri lanka)

being born to a buddhist family doesn't mean s/he knows Lord Buddha's Teaching

so please do not dissapointed with sri lankan buddhists
    they are just human beings like any other religious persons
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Off with her head! But no blood, we're Buddhists, you know... (OK, I'm being a little over the top tonight. Sorry!)

But Sri Lanka is about the only place I know of that actually did have a Buddhist war, i.e. a war about Buddhism. It's called the "War of the Tooth" and involved ownership of the relic of the Buddha's tooth in Kandy (a town in Sri Lanka). So we're not totally pure.

Palzang
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Off with her head! But no blood, we're Buddhists, you know... (OK, I'm being a little over the top tonight. Sorry!)
    Would have to import a proctor or steward to maintain traditional monk expectations. :D
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010

But Sri Lanka is about the only place I know of that actually did have a Buddhist war, i.e. a war about Buddhism. It's called the "War of the Tooth" and involved ownership of the relic of the Buddha's tooth in Kandy (a town in Sri Lanka). So we're not totally pure.

Palzang

it is better if you do not spread things if you are not sure of it

no offend please
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "Buddhism" is just a religion that is subject to the same fundamentalist impulses as any other. Western Buddhist only see the Dharma and not the Religion (a generalization ok). There are "recovering" Buddhists in other parts, just as there are "recovering" Catholics here.

We used to have public sittings on Sundays where newbies would always come to learn and sit for the first time. As one of the practice "facilitators" I always ran into the same Shangri La syndrome. Buddhism was seen to be the pure (non) Religion that was free of all the bad things they associated with Religion. They idealized it so much, and were so disappointed to hear that Buddhism was just a human organization. ....(They were also disappointed when meditation ceased to be novel and they had to face their own boredom).

It may be a good idea to let new folks in on the humaness of Buddhism so it doesn't distract them from practice when they figure it out.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    it is better if you do not spread things if you are not sure of it

no offend please

From dhammawiki:

Thenceforth, the Tooth relic of the Kalinga became an object of great veneration by generations of Kalinga kings until it earned the wrath of brahmanical followers, and consequently several attempts were made to destroy the relic by fanatical rulers. Yet the Tooth relic was miraculously saved from such atrocities, which caused the kings of other states attempted to possess the Tooth relic for personal veneration. Thus, from the beginning, the Tooth relic came to be considered as an important symbol of veneration. The last Indian ruler to possess the Tooth relic was Guhasiva of Kalinga (c.4th century AD).

The final attempt made by a neighboring state to make war with Guhasiva for the possession of the Tooth relic caused this venerated relic to leave the Indian shores. By this time, Buddhism was well rooted in Sri Lanka, and the island rulers maintained close relations with the Indian states that fostered Buddhism. For this reason the Kalinga ruler, in imminent danger of losing in battle, decided to send the Tooth relic to the Sri Lankan king whose ascendants were from Kalinga, the present Orissa.

In fact war is how the tooth ended up in Sri Lanka in the first place. So which part was inaccurate, brother Upekka?

Palzang
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010

which part was inaccurate, brother Upekka?
    kings did fight to keep the 'Tooth Relic' in their jurisdiction because there is a belief that who has the authority over 'Tooth Relic' has the power to become the king of Sri Lankan Kingdom

such fights (wars) were not in the name of Buddhism but for the power of the kingdom

by the way, i prefer to stay as sister upekka ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Oops, sorry, sister Upekka!

True, it wasn't, strictly speaking, a war about Dharma. Actually most so-called Christian wars weren't really about Christianity either but about who had the power. The Crusades were not really about retaking the Holy Lands from the infidel Muslims but about controlling trade routes and expanding European control into the Mideast. I was just pointing out that Buddhism (and Buddhist countries) are not completely free of such worldly thinking. The same is true of medieval Japan where warrior monks(!) abounded and took an active role in the many wars and general mayhem of the times. In WWII as well, generally Buddhist monks in Japan supported the nationalistic government in their attempts to annex Asia and turn captive peoples into slaves. Only a very few (such as Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, who later came to the US) resisted.

In general, though, Buddhism and Buddhist countries are much more peaceful than those following the Mosaic traditions. For example, before Tibet became predominantly Buddhist it was the most feared and powerful nation in Asia. Its armies were practically invincible, and they controlled a large empire. After Buddhism arrived, however, the Tibetans abandoned their warlike ways, eventually becoming easy prey for the predatory Chinese.

Palzang
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Oops, sorry, sister Upekka!
    :p

In general, though, Buddhism and Buddhist countries are much more peaceful than those following the Mosaic traditions.

... After Buddhism arrived, however, the Tibetans abandoned their warlike ways, eventually becoming easy prey for the predatory Chinese.

but if we do believe in Dhamma, there is no predatory Chinese, instead kamma vipaka for one and kamma creation for another in the present moment

as Bhante Abayarathanalankara says we all are paying our debts even though we do not see it

there is only one way (path:)) we can transfer our debt into bad debt
    that is to practice Noble Eightfold Path
    and that also starts from the Right View not before that

so most important thing is to get the Right View
    that does not change just because we are christians, muslims, hindus or buddhists
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You're preaching to the choir here, sister. However, please remember that the Chinese are also responsible for their karma, and you know, karma is a bitch!

Palzang
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    since this thread is about a sri lankan woman and a book written by her it is a better place to put forward another book written by a sri lankan woman

'thama thama nena pamanin' published by sarasavi publishers

any criticism (positive or negative) is appreciated by the author
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Where do you get a copy? Amazon?

Palzang
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Where do you get a copy?

from sarasavi book shop, sri lanka

Amazon?
    no idea
  • edited April 2010
    There's a lot of politics that go into these kinds of decisions made by the Sri Lankan authorities. Yes, Buddhism is a very human religion.