Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation And/Or Methods To End Rebirth?

edited May 2010 in Philosophy
Hello all,

I am looking for Meditations, Practices, Methods Etc. to end the rebirth cycle.
It is my goal for to be liberated from the cycle of rebirth before my death in this lifetime. As of yet I have found no teachings which deal specifically with this from the Buddhist school of thought only Taoism and those teachings are kept secret by their lineages. I know about the 8 fold path, being a good person, mindfulness meditation, observing the breath, loving kindness meditation, etc. Are there any meditations, methods or practices though that deal specifically with ending rebirth. If you know of any if you could discuss them with me I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Dear friend

In Buddhism, the method of practice is to abandon 'self-view'.

The Buddha said:
    "'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said.

With reference to what was it said?

'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be'... 'I shall be possessed of form'... 'I shall not be possessed of form'... 'I shall be percipient'... 'I shall not be percipient'... 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long?

It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.'

MN 140

Best wishes

DD

:)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Supposedly, with intense life-long practice of Vajrayana (part of Tibetan Buddhism), one can obtain release in one life-time.

I think you might have to be a young person and become a nun/monk to be given these practices, because they aren't taught to just anyone.

For the rest of us, we can expect it to take several lifetimes. And our teacher tells us our goals should be to set strong imprints/karmas for doing our practice and gaining merit, so that we will find teachers in our next human rebirths and continue on the path.

Someone please correct me if I misunderstand. I've never asked about for advanced initiations because with my job and family I don't have the time to be spending hours on the cushion doing practices and meditation.
  • edited April 2010
    Realization of the truths leading up to Arahantship (the state of Nibbana/Nirvana) is the requirement for "ending the cycle", however you choose to interpret it. For that, thorough understanding of the Four Noble Truths, Dukkha, Kamma/Karma, Impermanence, Non-Self, Dependent Origination (or Arising), The Noble Eightfold Path, Rebirth, and Samsara must (or rather should) be developed and meditated upon. There are a myriad of ways to meditate, one being observance of the breath such as the Buddha used.

When all of the conditions have been met within your mind, and you have focused your mind upon concepts of Buddhist thought, your conceptual knowledge and direct life experience may come together to offer you a realization, or self-knowledge. This self-knowledge is the direct experience of the mind. Whereas you may know the sun's warmth upon your skin for yourself and then know it, the mind also can "see" the truth and know it as if it were a physical experience.

Meditate upon the concepts of Impermanence, Selflessness or Non-Self, and Dependent Origination. At least that would be my advice; I realized those three truths at the same time, nearly simultaneously, and was able to see the truth. When you have seen for yourself, you will know that the only path to true freedom lies in the systematic abandonment of all aspects of self, which include ignorance of what this self actually is, the supports or attachments of the self, and its desires or cravings.

There are four levels of Enlightenment or Awakening. The first is that of seeing; the others are that of transforming the mind to achieve the goal of liberation that becomes "known" upon the first. Of course, conditionality being what it is, even meditating may not have quick results. Each individual differs due to conditions, and so this process can take some time. Our best bet is conducting ourselves in accord with the teachings and the Noble Eightfold Path, continuing to study, and practicing mindfulness and right effort toward eradication of mental phenomena and states that are detrimental to realizing the truth.

Above all don't let yourself believe that it might take you until you're old or not even in this life to realize your goals. Such a view can only be a hindrance, as it does not yield proper motivation. I tell you truly that it is only a matter of the right conditions being met, and that the Buddha taught the most direct way to set up the right conditions. Know the path; follow the path. Never stop trying, and never give up hope.
  • edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Supposedly, with intense life-long practice of Vajrayana (part of Tibetan Buddhism), one can obtain release in one life-time.

I think you might have to be a young person and become a nun/monk to be given these practices, because they aren't taught to just anyone.

For the rest of us, we can expect it to take several lifetimes. And our teacher tells us our goals should be to set strong imprints/karmas for doing our practice and gaining merit, so that we will find teachers in our next human rebirths and continue on the path.

Someone please correct me if I misunderstand. I've never asked about for advanced initiations because with my job and family I don't have the time to be spending hours on the cushion doing practices and meditation.

There are many teachings that are openly given in the Vajrayana tradition for liberation in this lifetime. One does not need to become a monk or nun.
  • edited April 2010
    why would you want to be liberated from rebirth? to end the cycle of rebirth is to promise to be subjected to it a million times if you have to in order to save others from it.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    why would you want to be liberated from rebirth? to end the cycle of rebirth is to promise to be subjected to it a million times if you have to in order to save others from it.

huh?

Many find that as they journey, their compassion blooms to a point where they would choose rebirth and all of its pains in order to continue to help liberate the rest of their family (humankind).
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    mwight wrote: »

Are there any meditations, methods or practices though that deal specifically with ending rebirth. If you know of any if you could discuss them with me I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.
    irrespective of the knowledge that how far you have read and listened to Lord Buddha's Teaching, i can suggest a simple method for you to recognize your own true experience

please be patient with me if you know these things already

there are six sense bases (internal) = eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind
    there are six sense bases (external) = form (color and shape), sound, smell, taste, feel and thoughts
    there are six consciousness (vinnana = tainted mind) relevant to each of internal sense bases, for example eye consciousness is the consciousness relevant to eye (chakku vinnana)

now we say 'i see' and we think our eyes can see a 'thing' in front of us
    but according to Lord Buddha's Teaching the eye meet the form (color/shape) and eye consciousness occur and there is a 'seeing'

there is no person called 'i' to see a 'thing' instead 'seeing' is a results (effect) of the cause (the meeting of internal sense base+external sense base+relevant consciousness)

the important thing here is to see the difference between 'i see' and 'seeing'
    it is very subtle but not difficult if we try

for example:
    your eyes (internal sense base) meet the writing on the computer screen (external sense base) and the eye consciousness occur now and you take it as 'i see the writing' but according to Lord Buddha's Teaching there is only 'seeing'

at the beginning we can not see the difference so we have to remind our mind the difference

another example:
    you see the word 'upekka' in the screen
    you take as 'i see upekka' but there is only 'seeing' and writing 'upekka' help as external sense base in the process of 'seeing'

you can experiment this with 'your' eyes and can try to see (understand) the difference

apart from mind all other sense bases work like this and you can try them too

the mind always get thoughts as external sense base
    thoughts are always 'something' that you saw, heard, smelt, tasted or felt before

you can do this exercise and try to understand the difference between 'i see' and 'seeing'
    'i hear' and 'hearing'
    'i smell' and 'smelling' etc.

do this for a while and tell us what you get as experience
    then we can discuss further
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The forums are full of rebirth threads :rolleyesc
  • edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    yup, it tired.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    true
    let go
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    yup, it tired.
    tired because forgot to let go
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    true
    let go

Good idea :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Good idea :)

sareeka?

indira?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    sareeka?

indira?

huh? :confused:
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2010
    mwight wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking for Meditations, Practices, Methods Etc. to end the rebirth cycle.
    It is my goal for to be liberated from the cycle of rebirth before my death in this lifetime. As of yet I have found no teachings which deal specifically with this from the Buddhist school of thought only Taoism and those teachings are kept secret by their lineages. I know about the 8 fold path, being a good person, mindfulness meditation, observing the breath, loving kindness meditation, etc. Are there any meditations, methods or practices though that deal specifically with ending rebirth. If you know of any if you could discuss them with me I would be much appreciative.

Thank you.
    The practice of Vipassana leads to the end of future births.

The practice of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness, a.k.a Satipatthana, which also is Vipassana leads to the realization of Unbinding, the state of Arhat or freedom from rebirth.

In fact the Buddha even said that if you develope these foundations of mindfulness, you can be liberated in 7 years, possibly even 7 days.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

"Now, if anyone would develop these four frames of reference in this way for seven years, one of two fruits can be expected for him: either gnosis right here & now, or — if there be any remnant of clinging/sustenance — non-return.
    "Let alone seven years. If anyone would develop these four frames of reference in this way for six years... five... four... three... two years... one year... seven months... six months... five... four... three... two months... one month... half a month, one of two fruits can be expected for him: either gnosis right here & now, or — if there be any remnant of clinging/sustenance — non-return.
    "Let alone half a month. If anyone would develop these four frames of reference in this way for seven days, one of two fruits can be expected for him: either gnosis right here & now, or — if there be any remnant of clinging/sustenance — non-return.
    "'This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said."
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I hope you will take the time to read this. Once you're done, hopefully your question will be answered.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2010
    irrespective of the knowledge that how far you have read and listened to Lord Buddha's Teaching, i can suggest a simple method for you to recognize your own true experience

please be patient with me if you know these things already

there are six sense bases (internal) = eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind
    there are six sense bases (external) = form (color and shape), sound, smell, taste, feel and thoughts
    there are six consciousness (vinnana = tainted mind) relevant to each of internal sense bases, for example eye consciousness is the consciousness relevant to eye (chakku vinnana)

now we say 'i see' and we think our eyes can see a 'thing' in front of us
    but according to Lord Buddha's Teaching the eye meet the form (color/shape) and eye consciousness occur and there is a 'seeing'

there is no person called 'i' to see a 'thing' instead 'seeing' is a results (effect) of the cause (the meeting of internal sense base+external sense base+relevant consciousness)

the important thing here is to see the difference between 'i see' and 'seeing'
    it is very subtle but not difficult if we try

for example:
    your eyes (internal sense base) meet the writing on the computer screen (external sense base) and the eye consciousness occur now and you take it as 'i see the writing' but according to Lord Buddha's Teaching there is only 'seeing'

at the beginning we can not see the difference so we have to remind our mind the difference

another example:
    you see the word 'upekka' in the screen
    you take as 'i see upekka' but there is only 'seeing' and writing 'upekka' help as external sense base in the process of 'seeing'

you can experiment this with 'your' eyes and can try to see (understand) the difference

apart from mind all other sense bases work like this and you can try them too

the mind always get thoughts as external sense base
    thoughts are always 'something' that you saw, heard, smelt, tasted or felt before

you can do this exercise and try to understand the difference between 'i see' and 'seeing'
    'i hear' and 'hearing'
    'i smell' and 'smelling' etc.

do this for a while and tell us what you get as experience
    then we can discuss further
    Excellent post. :)

May I ask however... how does "I see" come about in the first place? I have also been asked to investigate this.

After insight arises, one should not overlook how "I see" arises, as the tendency continues to have its influence...
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    Excellent post. :)

May I ask however... how does "I see" come about in the first place?
    we already are conditioned for it

I have also been asked to investigate this.

did you try?
    if so what is the experience?

After insight arises, one should not overlook how "I see" arises, as the tendency continues to have its influence...

it is impossible to explain the insight arisen
    because
    words always mislead the meaning

but

we can guide another
    so he would gain the insight without doubt

those who did not tried this thread before
    here is another chance:

touch the table near you

is hand the experience of touching?
    is table the experience of touching?
    is the attention to touch call touching?

what exactly is touching?

apply this theory to eye, ear etc.
    and try to grasp the seeing, hearing, etc.

sure way to experience anatta
    how long it will take depend on the capacity of individual
    guranteed
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Has always been so. Just don't let the direct experience of anatta blinds us from clear understanding of 'ignorance'.

Happy journey, :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    Just don't let the direct experience of anatta blinds us from clear understanding of 'ignorance'.

what an excellent Dhamma lesson!

for some it takes time to grasp the experience of anatta is just the removal of ignorance of wrong view
    this is just seeing the nirvana

still there is a long way to go because

there are ignorance of clinging (greed and hate) to five faculties
    and
    ignorance of clinging to mind

one needs to get rid of all three level of ignorance to reach NIRVANA

hard but not impossible if we try-hard ( samma-viriya), i suppose