Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can someone explain Buddhism to me?

Hi :). I am an atheist, but I am curious about Buddhism. Like what exactly you believe in. Your veiws on what happens when you die, how the universe began, and how we should live our lives. Also, why you believe that Buddhism is the correct path out of all the other possible choices.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi, Mr Atheist. Roughly speaking, I am an atheist, too. However, I am also deeply committed to Buddhist practice. You might find this thread interesting. It contains a talk by Sam Harris (also an atheist Buddhist practitioner) on what contemplative traditions like Buddhist practice may have to offer, once you get past the dubious ontological positions with which they have traditionally been associated.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi :). I am an atheist, but I am curious about Buddhism. Like what exactly you believe in. Your veiws on what happens when you die, how the universe began, and how we should live our lives. Also, why you believe that Buddhism is the correct path out of all the other possible choices.
    Dear friend

For some people, theism is the correct path because it suits their psychological disposition. Just because we may regard something as supersititious, ie, unverifiable, it does not mean it is not 'correct' for certain people and will not provide a benefit for certain people.

Similarly, in Buddhism, there are many teachings available about life after death. Whilst unverifiable, these teachings may provide benefit to certain people.

That said, the type of Buddhism I follow holds the universe evolved from the elements, just as science believes. In Buddhism, the elements are not only physical but also mental. Through infinite occurrances of cause & effect, of certain elements combining with other elements, did the universe come to be and continues to evolve, decay, expand, contract and so forth.

The type of Buddhism I follow holds all conditioned things, subject to cause & effect, arise & pass. With the mind dependent upon the body, once the body ends, the mind ends. After death, the body simply decomposes. Regarding the mind, everything sensed & felt during one's life "become cold right there". It ends.

This being the case, the way to live one's life is to not regard anything as belonging to oneself nor to believe one is a "real self".

Our sense of 'self' is a natural programmed brain function to facilitate survival.It is not a 'real self' or a 'real me'. The way to live is to realise the true nature of 'the self function' & to realise all things are just nature.

If we truely regard things & life to belong to us and be us, then there will be suffering because all things are subject to disease, decay, death & change.

We should also live our lives based in non-harming because non-harming leads to happiness and also to psychological integrity (non-contradiction).

The Buddha said:
    All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill. All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill. Dandavagga

I am one who wishes to live, who does not wish to die. I desire happiness and dislike suffering. What is undesirable and disagreeable to me is undesirable and disagreeable to others, too. How can I inflict upon another what is undesirable and disagreeable to me? Having reflected thus, he himself refrains from harming life, exhorts others to refrain from harming life and speaks in praise of refraining from harming life. Veludvareyya Sutta

'Develop what is skillful.' If this development of what is skillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' But because this development of what is skillful is conducive to benefit and happiness, I say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' Kusala Sutta

Kind regards

DD

:smilec:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Hi :). I am an atheist, but I am curious about Buddhism. Like what exactly you believe in.
    Buddhism doesn't require you 'believe' anything, in the sense that for example, Christianity does.
    It's a question of personal appraisal and discovery, examination and scrutiny....
    Your veiws on what happens when you die,

Living well is of more importance to a Buddhist, than dying, as far as I am concerned - everyone must do it for themselves to be able to hold a rock-solid opinion....although one should strive to die well, too....
    how the universe began,
    this is unimportant.
    Does it matter? Really?
    and how we should live our lives
    That's everyone's individual walk. I am not about to tell anyone how they 'should' lead their life. I just know how I should - or shouldn't - lead mine....
    Also, why you believe that Buddhism is the correct path out of all the other possible choices.
    Because it makes sense. to me, anyway. It's up to others what they do and find, be it in Buddhism or anywhere else, for that matter....

:)

Doubtless, a more simplistic, less scholarly response to that of others, but mine, nevertheless....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Personally I enjoy buddhism because it is a way to cope with the mental suffering I experience. I feel I have more resources, even a connection to a sangha, dharma teachings, a guru, and opening to the idea of waking up to see reality as it is and pierce wrong thinking. Also exploration of what thoughts and emotions are, kind of a working subjectively experienced psychology understanding.

I did not come to buddhism to settle questions of origin of universe, life after death, etc but I know that in the previous 2 centuries + of buddhism a few (understating :D) people have thought about those things and there are some ideas/teachings to find within buddhism. I do know some teachings at the time of death which the purpose is to find some meaning that goes beyond death. Which for some could be a sense of non-self. Or could be expressed as heart connections with other beings that are meaningful despite impermanence. As far as the origin of the universe I find it useful to explore what the universe is currently before tackling the question of whether it has a beginning middle and end as is presumed.
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Doubtless, a more simplistic, less scholarly response to that of others, but mine, nevertheless....
    Actually I thought it was a great response, pretty much what I would say too.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Worldly knowledge is useful for worldly ends. With such knowledge, mankind learns how to use the earth's resources to improve the standard of living, grow more food, generate power to run factories and to light up streets and houses, manage factories and businesses, cure sickness, build flats and bridges, cook exotic dishes, and so on. Worldly knowledge can also be used for harmful purposes such as building missiles with nuclear warheads, manipulating the stock market, cheating 'legally', and inflaming political anxiety and hatred. Despite the rapid expansion of worldly knowledge, especially in the twentieth century, mankind has been brought no nearer to the solution of his spiritual problems and pervasive unsatisfactoriness. In all likelihood, it never will solve mankind's universal problems and bring peace and happiness because of the premises on which such knowledge, discoveries and inventions are built.

While Buddhism can bring greater understanding on how to lead a good, worldly life, its main focus is how to gain spiritual liberation through the development of wisdom and mental culture. For ordinary human beings, there is no end to the search for worldly knowledge, but in the final analysis it does not really matter. For as long as we are ignorant about the Dhamma, we will forever be trapped in Samsara.

What Buddhists Believe
    K.Sri Dhammananda http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhism/dhammananda/main.htm
  • edited April 2010
    Buddhism simply makes sense to me on a variety of levels.

1-The first thing that appealed to me about Buddhism was how The Buddha said, "Believe nothing, no matter who has said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own common sense." (A refreshing teaching from the many religions that say 'Believe this or go to hell)

2-The emphasis on living in the present is legitimate, because psychology proves the mental benefits of practicing this. The Buddha said "the secret of health for both body and mind is not to mourn for the past, or fear for the future, but to live wisely and earnestly in the present."

The past and future are illusions, and therefore do not exist. If you fear something that does not exist, you are considered INSANE :)

3-The emphasis on interconnectedness is legitimate, because is a scientific fact. There is not individual, separate, distinct "self". Everything in nature is made up of molecules that are constantly vibrating next to each other and bouncing off and on. It is only an illusion that people are separate from nature

This feeling of separation is the source of much suffering and anxiety in the world.

4- the emphasis on the fact that change is inevitable. Every event that happens occurs in a distinct space and time. No two events are identical. Change is constantly happening, and along with that come suffering, old age, disease and death. Trying to cling to certain states is like trying to grab a handful of water, as it just slips away. Instead, Buddhism emphasizes accepting the change and living in the present moment-detached from desires to try and prolong it.
    Overall, there are a variety of reasons why Buddhism makes sense not just as a 'religion' but in the realms of psychology, philosophy, and mental health as well.

I recommend reading Alan Watts

"A person is not alive until they lose themselves and release the anxious grip on their life, property, reputation, and position." -Alan Watts
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddhism is the first and most-effective therapy ever designed. It changes your life, unlike most therapy (although cognitive-behavioral therapy comes close).

The longer you practice Buddhism, the more you understand what it is about. It proves itself to you in a non-verbal way.

Over the centuries, institutions have evolved around the teachings of the Buddha, and these institutions have all the trappings of a religion. But Buddhism, at its core, is not a religion in the sense of what we understand a religion to be.
    edited April 2010
    Alan Watts is not a good person to read, for a beginner.
  • edited April 2010
    I dont think his writings and lectures are too complicated. I think he did an excellent job of interpreting Eastern philosophy for a Western audience.

http://www.youtube.com/user/youcreateyourmeaning#p/a/u/1/Q4KzRrQstaQ
  • edited April 2010
    thank you everyone for the great responses :) and now that i think about it i probably should have phrased my questions a bit differently. im not looking for someone to tell me what to believe or how to live my life or tell me what happens after i die. I asked those things to make sure that this was not the purpose of buddhism like it is the purpose of christianity. I am quite pleased to find that it is not :) i shall most certainly continue to research buddhism and view posts made on this forum. once again thanks to all :D
  • edited April 2010
    o btw someone called me 'mr.atheist' im a girl lol :)
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, Miss Atheist. That was me. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I think it's because at first glance, your name looks like "Him an atheist".....
    Oh, the lessons in perceptions and first impressions!! :lol:
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I think it's because at first glance, your name looks like "Him an atheist".....
    Oh, the lessons in perceptions and first impressions!! :lol:

Oooo ... verrrry perceptive federica. Missed that!:lol:
    edited April 2010
    I think in my case, it's that all the emblematic atheists (who I don't identify with, BTW) are male.
  • edited June 2010
    Buddhism is the truth. Buddhism is reality. Buddhism does not teach anything that is unknown to any one. It teaches you to look around, observe reality, and decide for your self what is true.
  • edited June 2010
    Your veiws on what happens when you die...

Aw, this seems like the perfect hook for another rebirth thread, but I shall keep my mouth shut. Zzzip. In the absence of direct personal insight, looking at phenomena like near-death-experiences (NDE) and past life recalls (PLR) might be useful. These do not reveal anything conclusive, but a little bit of light is better than no light at all.
    Also, why you believe that Buddhism is the correct path out of all the other possible choices.

Most importantly, because it makes logical sense and practical sense. Early in my life, I tried to make sense out of Christian doctrines, but I got very dissatisfied with its contradictions. All theology of the world could not fix that, no Augustine, no Anselm, no Aquinas. Also, Buddhism offers (in most forms) a do-it-yourself soteriology which I find more appealing.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    Buddhism is a wholesome science of neither evil nor good, like nor dislike, love nor hate, rich nor poor, ill nor healthy, form nor emptiness, liberation nor attachment, without beginning crossing over the sentient beings of thyself with a universal blossom love of eternity :D:D:D
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi emm HiImAnAtheist
    If you would like an introduction to Buddhism then there is a short course given in pdf form at this link. It explains most the things you wish to know. I read it and thought it was a fair unbiased view on Buddhist history, Beliefs and traditions.

Happiness and Peace to all

http://www.freebuddhistaudio.com/study/foundation
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2010
    thank you everyone for the great responses :) and now that i think about it i probably should have phrased my questions a bit differently. im not looking for someone to tell me what to believe or how to live my life or tell me what happens after i die. I asked those things to make sure that this was not the purpose of buddhism like it is the purpose of christianity. I am quite pleased to find that it is not :) i shall most certainly continue to research buddhism and view posts made on this forum. once again thanks to all :D

Take advantage of Buddhism. In the words of high Lama Khensur Rinpoche... it's "very good".