Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Through Buddhist eyes .. a Gnostic passage from the Gospel of Mary . . .

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
RE::Through Buddhist eyes .. a Gnostic passage from the Gospel of Mary:

I would appreciate some help with what the following could mean, Okay? Many have proposed certain similarities to the Tibetan Book of the Dead (with the soul's sole encounters . .)
<cite></cite>
<cite>Quote: </cite>The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom

Key..Terms::
Apocrypha Pseudepigrapha Topic : (New Testament -- non-Canonical ) - christianity battle for origins

Gnostic texts were largely the result of individual speculation, and they were soundly criticized not only by Christianity, but by Greek Philosophical systems generally. 2nd Century gnosticism was the pop-culture pick-n-mix of its' day. Many scholars focus on the Gnostic texts to understand the battle for Christianity in the late 1st and early 2nd Century.

Larger Text for convenient reference in the Gospel of Mary..
<cite>Quote:</cite>"'What is hidden from you will proclaim to you." And she began to speak to them these words: "I," she said, " I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to him, 'Lord, I saw you today in a vision.' He answered and said to me, 'Blessed are you, that you did not waver at the sight of me. For where the mind is, there is the treasure. 'I said to him, 'Lord, now does he who sees the vision see it (through) the soul (or) through the spirit?' The Savior answered and said. 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision and it is [. ..].' (pp. 11-14 missing) .. "[. ..] it. And desire that, 'I did not see you descending, but now I see you ascending. Why do you lie, since you belong to me?' The soul answered and said, 'I saw you. You did not see me nor recognize me. I served you as a garment, and you did not know me.' When it had said this, it went away rejoicing greatly. "Again it came to the third power, which is called ignorance. [It (the power)] questioned the soul saying, 'Where are you going? In wickedness are you bound. But you are bound; do not judge!' And the soul said, 'why do you judge me although I have not judged? I was bound though I have not bound. I was not recognized. But I have recognized that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly (things) and the heavenly.' When the soul had overcome the third power, it went upwards and saw the fourth power, (which) took seven forms. The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven [powers] of wrath. They ask the soul, 'Whence do you come, slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?' The soul answered and said, 'What binds me has been slain, and what surrounds me has been overcome, and my desire has been ended, and ignorance has died. In a [world] I was released from a world, [and] in a type from a heavenly type, and (from) the fetter of oblivion which is transient. From this time on will I attain to the rest of the time, of the season, of the aeon, in silence.' When Mary had said this, she fell silent, since it was to this point that the Savior had spoken with her. But Andrew answered and said to the brethren, "Say what you (wish to). What I say about what she has said. I at least do not believe that the Savior said this. For certainly these teachings are strange ideas ..'"
:confused:

===========

In helping threads along remember the twin virtues of metta, and compassion :"karuna"

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Savior answered and said. 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision and it is [. ..].' (pp. 11-14 missing) .. "[. ..] it.
    The Apocryphon of James states:
    For without the soul the body does not sin, just as the soul is not saved without the Spirit. But if the soul is saved when it is without evil, and if the spirit also is saved, then the body becomes sinless.
    From a Buddhist perspective, the soul here is the thinking mind or citta, that which is inherently ignorant (in darkness) and defiled but that which can become enlightened and purified.

The spirit is consciousness, that capacity of mind which inherently has unconditional non-judgemental awareness. It is by establishing the mind in the state of non-judgemental consciousness that allows the insight or enlightenment to occur that purifies the mind of defilement (or the root of sin).

Here, I am pointing to soul and spirit being two distinct things rather than being the same thing.

So returning to Mary, this "the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision" I am not sure what this refers apart from the faculty of wisdom (panna indriya) or what the Buddha called knowing (mano).

The Buddha used three words for mind: citta, the intellect; vinanna, sense-consciousness; and mano, knowing.

:)
    edited April 2010
    But I have recognized that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly (things) and the heavenly.'
    "Monks, I will teach you the All. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"As you say, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All.

Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain and furthermore, would be put to grief.

Why? Because it lies beyond range."

Sabba Sutta: The All
    edited April 2010
    But I have recognized that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly (things) and the heavenly.'
    Many Buddhists are attached to unified states of consciousness, which are the 'heavenly realms', which are described as follows:
    ...Brahma as Brahma... the luminous gods as luminous gods... the gods of refulgent glory as gods of refulgent glory... the gods of abundant fruit as the gods of abundant fruit... the Great Being as the Great Being ... the dimension of the infinitude of space as the dimension of the infinitude of space... the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness as the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of nothingness as the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of neither-perception-nor-non-perception as the dimension of neither-perception-nor-non-perception

Mulapariyaya Sutta: The Root Sequence
    Here, the practitioner has realised these heavenly unified states of consciousness or non-duality are merely another conditioned phenomena. Thus they realise (discern) accordingly with right view:
    "One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure & bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of space and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated.

One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure and bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated.

One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure & bright as this towards the dimension of nothingness and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated.

One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure & bright as this towards the dimension of neither perception nor non-perceptionand to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated

One neither fabricates nor mentally fashions for the sake of becoming or un-becoming.

This being the case, one is not sustained by anything in the world (does not cling to anything in the world).

Unsustained, one is not agitated. Unagitated, one is totally unbound right within. One discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Properties

edited April 2010
    When the soul had overcome the third power, it went upwards and saw the fourth power, (which) took seven forms. The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom. These are the seven [powers] of wrath.
    In Buddhism, these are kilesa or defilement. Mental impurities that are the roots of suffering.

Wrathful wisdom sounds like moral self-righteous & dhammic self-righteousness.

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    'What binds me has been slain, and what surrounds me has been overcome, and my desire has been ended, and ignorance has died.
    153. Through many a [ego] birth have I wandered in vain, seeking in the builder of this house. Repeated birth is indeed suffering!

154. O house-builder, you are seen! You will not build this house again. For your rafters are broken and your ridgepole shattered. My mind has reached the Unconditioned; I have attained the destruction of craving.

294. Having slain mother (craving), father (self-conceit), two warrior-kings (eternalism and nihilism), and destroyed a country (sense organs and sense objects) together with its treasurer (attachment and lust), ungrieving goes the holy man.

295. Having slain mother, father, two brahman kings (two extreme views), and a tiger as the fifth (the five mental hindrances), ungrieving goes the holy man.

Dhammapada