Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The sphere of nothingness

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited April 2010 in Meditation
The fourth jhana is supposed to be that the mind attends to the "sphere of nothingness". As Ajhan Brahm once said "from many to duality and from duality to oneness and from oneness to noneness"

The question is, how can the mind be in nothingness and be aware at the same time? Is this state something like a blackout? If so then there won't be any awareness in it... :confused:

Comments

• skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What is the source for this teaching, Deshy?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    1) Mindfulness, bliss and beyond by Ajhan Brahm

2) Ajhan jayasaro once talked about Ajhan Chah's experience of samadhi as the mind "entering the sphere of nothingness"

I remember once reading a sutta on this but do not have a reference unfortunately.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I guess this thread should go into meditation forum
  • edited April 2010
    From my experience it is is a place of no thought or movement of the mind. The mind dissolves and what is left is just awareness. Some refer to it as "the void that is not empty."
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I agree with dennis
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Sounds also like WuJi, to me....
    Which makes a lot of sense.......

I used to lead a fantastic visualisation exercise for my Qi Gong pupils, involving the TanDien and the Wuji.....
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    From my experience it is is a place of no thought or movement of the mind. The mind dissolves and what is left is just awareness. Some refer to it as "the void that is not empty."

So it is not a total blackout like we have in deep sleep is it?
    edited April 2010
    No, in as much as there is recollection of it. Whether it is like deep sleep is hard for me to say, because I have no recollection of that.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Ajhan Brahmn says in his book that if the mind attends to this and arises from it then it arises enlightened. Is this possible. I always thought what AB describes in his book is absorption but not really enlightenment.

Comments anyone ?
    edited April 2010
    I put Mindfulnes, Bliss and Beyond down a little while ago and haven't yet returned to it. I only got about 100 pages into it. He didn't seem to have defined what he meant by enlightenment, at that stage. Very few people do. What do you mean by it?

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as enlightenment as a terminal state which you can achieve like you've received a diploma, and then go back to sleep. "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings, only enlightened actions."
  • edited April 2010
    I do not know about AB or his book, i have not read it. When one "returns" from deep meditation it takes practice to go about your day encountering the wide variety of existence and stay "In the void that is not empty". But, that is what the Buddhist practice is about for me. After many years of doing this daily, i rarely fall back into discursive thought, or "comparison" thought. But at first it was not that way. I was lucky to have an older friend that i lived with that had been practicing this for years, so he was an example and a friend when i would get caught up i my own nonsense. I lived with him for 18 years. :) He often would say, what do you do to , "remember to remember?" So i put "triggers" or "reminders" in my mind when it would get caught up, or say to myself , "oh, you are just getting defensive, no need to do THAT again" or "your just trying to be right"....i guess some call these little "mind" exercises "Antidotes"..... as far as enlightenment, i do not think about practice that way. Definitions seem to get me confused and put a kink in practice.....
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the replies.
    fivebells wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as enlightenment as a terminal state which you can achieve like you've received a diploma, and then go back to sleep.

Well, fivebells I have the idea that enlightenment is a state which when a person gains it he/she knows for sure they are there without doubt. That is what the Buddha meant by "unshakable faith" in his teachings. When someone personally experiences the truth into anicca, dukka and anatta he knows for sure beyond any doubt. Wasn't the Buddha certain that he attained it when he did?

However, AB's book says that it is hard to say. Well I don't know for sure.

Further, AB's book defines enlightenment as a state which someone attains when the mind returns from nothingness. I however doubt this. I specifically do not know how a mind attends to nothingness and then be aware at the same time and even if it does how can it gain wisdom into anicca, dukka and anatta just by arising from that state? That is my question.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Ajhan Brahmn says in his book that if the mind attends to this and arises from it then it arises enlightened.
    Hi Deshy

AB is not speaking with complete accuracy. It would be better to say "a sense of enlightenment".

Ajahn Jayasaro has articulated the matter with complete accuracy as a 'strong samadhi experience' but a 'breakthrough' and 'life changing experience'.

The state of nothingness is where the mind reaches such a degree of non-conceptuality that it truely feels 'there is nothing'.

This happens because when we think things are 'something' it is due to conceptuality or thought.

The Buddha called the sphere of nothingness an "entry into emptiness" but not emptiness itself, that is, not "superior & unsurpassed emptiness".
    There is only this non-emptiness: the singleness based on the perception of the dimension of nothingness.' Thus he regards it as empty of whatever is not there. Whatever remains, he discerns as present: 'There is this.' And so this, his entry into emptiness, accords with actuality, is undistorted in meaning, & pure.

Cula-suññata Sutta
    The Mahayana generally holds emptiness to be the sphere of nothingness, that is, non-conceptuality.

Kind regards

:)

Also, it is always lovely to listen to Ajahn Jayasaro talk. For a while, he disappeared into a cave. Ajahn Jayasaro is a deep disciple of Ajahn Chah and a deep representation of the Forest Tradition. Plus he is very intelligent and virtuous.
    edited April 2010
    I specifically do not know how a mind attends to nothingness and then be aware at the same time and even if it does how can it gain wisdom into anicca, dukka and anatta just by arising from that state? That is my question.
    Hi Deshy

There is awareness in the state of nothingness, as Ajahn Jayasaro explained.

The state of nothingness will provide the experience of anatta but not anicca & dukkha.

There will also be the deep experience of the cessation of dukkha.

But it may not permanently uproot the tendencies to greed, hatred & delusion.

Kind regards

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It is a state of not-latching onto thoughts, attachments, aversions, mind, or even selfness. The significances that we normally apply are absent. Yet it is a fully-conscious state, and much more aware than our "normal" conscious state. And, being a "state", you can't find it through intellectual reasoning.

It is not confined to the meditation cushion, although that is likely where you first encounter it. It is easy to find once you've found it, but difficult to maintain because our habits of mind immediately draw us back into our conventional "space". This is especially true off the meditation cushion.

It is definitely not "nothingness", but because of the lack of conventional "anchors", it is best described as "nothingness".

It is a paradox, yet not a paradox. It is a state of peace yet it is not passive.

The "Heart Sutra" says it best.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Deshy

There is awareness in the state of nothingness, as Ajahn Jayasaro explained.

The state of nothingness will provide the experience of anatta but not anicca & dukkha.

There will also be the deep experience of the cessation of dukkha.

But it may not permanently uproot the tendencies to greed, hatred & delusion.

Kind regards

Many thanks DD. You always manage to clear things up for me :)

I also liked the way Ajahn Jayasaro explained it as a "peak samadhi state" which is really acceptable. Actually AB's book mentions how these experiences give insight into anatta.

His book is actually in contradiction to what Bhikku Buddhadasa says in "mindfulness with breathing" as "Only the first jhana is enough to get into sathipatthana. It is not a necessity to go into all four Rupa-jhanas to gain enlightenment although it helps". That is not what AB says. Unfortunately I couldn't find a sutta reference to this to have a look at what the suttas say.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Many thanks to everyone for all the replies. Really appreciate your time :)
    edited April 2010
    His book is actually in contradiction to what Bhikku Buddhadasa says in "mindfulness with breathing" as "Only the first jhana is enough to get into sathipatthana. It is not a necessity to go into all four Rupa-jhanas to gain enlightenment although it helps". That is not what AB says.

Deshy,

The sphere of nothingness is the 7th jhana. The suttas generally teach the cultivation of the 4th jhana, which is then used for the final insight meditation.

There are suttas, such as MN 111 and MN 121, which talk about Nibbana via the eight jhanas but that is not the norm.

I am not sure where exactly you are quoting BB from. It could be the following. Here, BB has taught not even the first jhana is necessary:
    When the feelings piti and sukha are strong enough forthe mind to feel them clearly, this is sufficient concentration to be able to go on to step five. If you enter the first, second, third and fourth rupa-jhana that is more splendid yet. But samadhi sufficient to experience piti and sukha distinctly is enough forstep four.
    jhana, (Common translations such as "absorption" and "trance" are unsatisfactory, but we have nothing better.) as a verb, to gaze, to focus, to look at intently; as a noun, deep samadhi in which the mind locks onto one object exclusively. There are four rupa-jhana (where the object of jhana is material) and four arupa-jhana (where the object is immaterial or formless), making eight levels of successively more refined samadhi. These can be helpful, but are not necessary for the successful practice of Anapanasati.

Anapanasati
    BB is talking about completing the 16 stages of Anapanasati on the level of neighbourhood concentration. This is stream entry level. He is not teaching the next level of Anapanasati on the level of attainment (jhana) concentration.

If the mind does not develop what BB is explaining then it will not advance to what AB is trying to explain.

Whilst I have not read all of AB's book, I really like his instruction on the prelimary stages of practise. But I have heard him lecture on You Tube on the 16 stages of Anapanasati and it is inaccurate.

My recollection of AB's lecture on Anapanasati is he did not proceed past the 2nd satipatthana nor proceed past the 3rd jhana. His explanation of the 3rd tetrad was incorrect. (I cannot recall the 4th).

Kind regards

:smilec:
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Foiblefull described the state of emptiness quite well I think.

TURNING TOWARDS
    EMPTINESS Aj Sumedho

http://amaravati.org/abm/english/documents/the_way_it_is/15tte.html
    And yet when the mind is empty, the senses are still all right. It's not like being in a trance, totally oblivious to everything; your mind is open, empty - or you might call it whole, complete, bright. Then you can take anything: ...like a fearful thought. You can take that and deliberately think it and see it as just another condition of the mind, rather than as a psychological problem. It arises, it ceases; there's nothing in it, nothing in any thought.
    The space around thought - we don't notice that very much, do we? It is just like the space in this room, I have to call your attention to it. Now what does it take to be aware of the space in this room? You have to be alert. With the objects in the room you don't have to be alert, you can just be attracted or repelled: 'I don't like that, I like this.' You can just react to the quality of beauty and ugliness, whether it pleases or displeases you. It's our habit, isn't it? Our life tends to be reaction to pleasure and pain, beauty and ugliness. So we see beauty and we say, 'Oh, look at that! Isn't it absolutely fantastic?' or you think 'Oh, disgusting!'
    But the beautiful objects and the ugly ones are all in the space and to notice space you withdraw your attention from the objects of beauty and ugliness. Of course they're still there, you needn't throw them out; you don't have to tear down the building so that we can have a space here. But if you don't concentrate with love or hate on what's in that room, if you don't make anything out of it, your attention withdraws from the objects and you notice the space.
    So we have a perspective on space in a room like this. You can reflect on that. Anyone can come and go in this space. The most beautiful, the most ugly, saint and sinner, can come and go in this space and the space is never harmed or ruined or destroyed by the objects that come and go in this space.

The mind works on the same principle. But if you're not used to seeing the spaciousness of your mind you are not aware of the space that the mind really is. So you're unaware of the emptiness of the mind, because you're always attached to an idea or an opinion or mood.

Sure sounds like Heart Sutra doesn't it.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy,

The sphere of nothingness is the 7th jhana.

I don't have AB's book right now as I gave it to a friend but if I remember right he said something like it is the fouth jhana according to him although it is referred to as the seventh in certain texts. I don't exactly remember what I read :D Maybe he said it is the fourth arupa jhana in which case it can be the 7th overall. Anyway the number is not relevant ;) The point is AB's forth jhana is probably the highest jhana as there the mind attends to nothingness as he explains
    The suttas generally teach the cultivation of the 4th jhana, which is then used for the final insight meditation.
    Any references please? Any reference which explains the seven jhanas in detail will be helpful to me
    I am not sure where exactly you are quoting BB from.

I am quoting this. BB explains here the stage where the mind has a suttle level of disturbance as vitacca viccara which AB explains as the wobble (the first jhana according to him)
    BB is talking about completing the 16 stages of Anapanasati on the level of neighbourhood concentration. This is stream entry level. He is not teaching the next level of Anapanasati on the level of attainment (jhana) concentration.

Well BB's text that I reffered to which I guess is the same you are referring to gives very little importance to jhana unlike AB.
    If the mind does not develop what BB is explaining then it will not advance to what AB is trying to explain.

I don't think so. Buddhadasa is talking about sathipatthana and vipassana when the mind attends to a certain level of samadhi whereas AB goes on to the deepest level of meditation absorption and then practicing the sathipatthana when emerging from those absorption jhana levels. I guess both methods are correct; just different
    I have heard him lecture on You Tube on the 16 stages of Anapanasati and it is inaccurate.

Please give me the reference...

Many thanks for your time mister ;)
  • edited April 2010
    "TURNING TOWARDS
    EMPTINESS Ajahn Sumedho"

Nice to see someone quoting Ajahn Sumedho, Pegembara.

In general I recommend that people check out the wonderful teachings of the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition. After many years as a Vajrayana practitioner who didn't investigate anything else, they have been like a breath of fresh air to me.:)

Kind regards,

Dazzle

edited April 2010
    Well BB's text that I reffered to which I guess is the same you are referring to gives very little importance to jhana unlike AB.
    BB is talking about something before jhana.
    I don't think so. Buddhadasa is talking about sathipatthana and vipassana when the mind attends to a certain level of samadhi whereas AB goes on to the deepest level of meditation absorption and then practicing the sathipatthana when emerging from those absorption jhana levels. I guess both methods are correct; just different
    Not really. It does not work like that. Jhana is a satipatthana. The first three jhanas are vedanupassana. Approaching jhana using the breathing is kayanupassana. But you are free to hold your opinion.
    Please give me the reference...
    I have had a look. I cannot find it but it is somewhere, someplace.

DD

edited April 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Foiblefull described the state of emptiness quite well I think.

TURNING TOWARDS
    EMPTINESS Aj Sumedho

http://amaravati.org/abm/english/documents/the_way_it_is/15tte.html

Sure sounds like Heart Sutra doesn't it.
    Indeed it does. But it does not sound like the suttas.

Just because it is spoken by AS it does not mean it is the real deal.

It is a beginner's guidance and worthy to follow.

It is very skilful way to teach basic mindfulness & clear comprehension.

Spaciousness is a good way.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Indeed it does. But it does not sound like the suttas.

Just because it is spoken by AS it does not mean it is the real deal.

It is a beginner's guidance and worthy to follow.

It is very skilful way to teach basic mindfulness & clear comprehension.

Spaciousness is a good way.

Sounds like this too

There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.

Udana 80

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.03.than.html
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Any references please? Any reference which explains the seven jhanas in detail will be helpful to me

AN 9.36 is a good place to start.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

Not really. It does not work like that. Jhana is a satipatthana. The first three jhanas are vedanupassana. Approaching jhana using the breathing is kayanupassana. But you are free to hold your opinion.

I don't have any fixed opinion about this DD. But the statement that "Jhana is a satipatthana" is new to me. I always thought jhanas are states of samadhi which are required states of mind for the satipatthana practice. But really I don't know for sure
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »

Thanks Jason. I need to have a look at the jhana descriptions more closely
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thanks everyone for the helpful replies
    edited April 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Sounds like this too

There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.

Udana 80

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.03.than.html
    pegembara

this is a description of the Nibbana element.

it certainly does not sound like what Ajahn Sumedho is talking about, where there are still defilements arising in the mind.

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    This sutta shows how jhana is an object of satipatthana, an object of insight (vipassana).
    He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with form, feeling, perception, fabrications & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
    As I said in another thread (here at post #33), in jhana, the Nibbana element is discerned and the meditator with right concentration does not become infatuated with jhana and especially the bliss of jhana.

The state of mind at the start of practise is the same throughout the whole practise until the end.

It is established in letting go or abandoning and remains in that state until the final abandoning.

There are not different practises.

All of these things, namely, satipatthana, anapanasati, jhanas, vipassana, etc, are merely sign posts along the way. They are the view rather than the walking.

The walking of the path is letting go & abandoning, as Ajahn Brahm has described in his explanation of getting started.

To see the view, one must first take a seat on the train, bus or airplane.

One cannot practise jhana, one cannot practise vipassana. One can only practise mindfulness by establishing & maintaining the mind in a state of letting go & clear pliant consciousness.
    edited April 2010
    I think the use of the term "depends on" here is a little strong. The Pali is nissāya, which means "near" or "in association with".

It can mean "dependent on" but here it is not the case because the sutta states the ending of the mental fermentations depends on insight or vipassana.

The ending of the mental fermentations always depends on vipassana.
    He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with feeling, perception, fabrications, & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self.

Kind regards

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010

There's also MN 111, which DD has already mention.
    edited April 2010
    MN 43 is interesting.
    "The limitless awareness-release [deliverance of mind], the nothingness awareness-release, the emptiness awareness-release, the theme-less-awareness-release: Are these qualities different in meaning & different in name, or are they one in meaning and different only in name?"

:confused:
    edited April 2010
    There's also MN 111, which DD has already mention.
    MN 52 also.
    edited April 2010
    MN 140 discourages Pukkusati (who had developed the fourth jhana) to pursue the four immaterial jhanas.

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thanks guys. Will be reading this later. Kind of busy these days with work :(