Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

planes of existence - mental states

edited April 2010 in Faith & Religion
according to one theory,the different planes(loka) of existence(frm highest heaven to lowest hell) are actually not anything 'physical',but rather states of consciousness.and this states are reflected/experienced in our everyday(every moment) of life.

if this is true,then what are you guys doing everyday(spiritual practice),to 'descend into the subtlest/ascend to the highest' level so that the probability of God-realization/Nirvana becomes 99.9999%?

here we are assuming there are really levels(or stations - as the sufis call 'em)which stretch frm the closest to 'God' to farthest.

anybody care to share?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    note : this doesn't mean that the various planes doesn't exist ,of course -or else where will we go after death?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Chasing after desirable states is half the problem.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    This is a big part of Theosophy (Alice Bailey in particular). All these intermediate zones are explored. In the end it's all just stuff. The most subtle realm is no "closer" to anything than a bag of doggy-do. An object of awareness is an object of awareness.
  • edited April 2010
    I am not sure this is about (loka) but, i have studied the realms spoken of in the "Tibetan Book of the Dead". For me these are psychic/mental plateaus or planes in everyday life. Though the Tibetan tradition is to read the book to those who are dying and have recently passed on. They include the "Hell, Hungry Ghost, Animal, Human, Jealous Gods, and the God realm", i have practiced viewing these realms and what happens when one is "Caught up" in one. Lets say you get caught up in the God realm, well the result is it's opposite or the Hell Realm, For the Jealous God realm the opposite is the Hungry Ghost realm, and for the Human realm, the Animal realm is it's opposite or like Yin/Yang it's companion. Try it sometime throughout the day and see if it is not the case....:)
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah that's one theory. If you're a Buddhist and do not believe in literal rebirth, taking it as metaphorical in regard to mental states is the likely conclusion. Whichever Buddhist tradition/school you follow will likely teach it a certain way, but it's ultimately up to each individual to make up their own minds on the subject.

As to your quote, "descend into the subtlest/ascend to the highest", the attainment of the Jhanas (states of deep meditative absorption) could be associated. However, it is only in a deeper knowledge of how the mind works that these are beneficial. As someone else pointed out, chasing after desirable states is a problem. I can tell you from experience that the first Jhana is like being wrapped in joy/bliss, and if this was viewed as a goal rather than a learning experience people might spend an inordinate amount of time in the Jhana states.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Nirvana is not a "realm" or "state". Nirvana is lokuttara ('above the world').

God is of the world (lokiya).

There are many god realms, such as deva-realm (worldly power, like a politician or dictator), brahma realm (love & compassion), radiant god realms (meditative absorptions), divine realms (supernormal powers), etc.

Mental realms we can verify, such as addictions (hungry ghost) or unvirtuous instinctual behaviour (animal) or humane realm (conscience & concern).

But other worlds in other places is speculative but with moral benefit.
    Bhikkhus, these two bright principles protect the world. What are the two? Shame and fear of wrongdoing. If, bhikkhus, these two bright principles did not protect the world, there would not be discerned respect for mother or maternal aunt or maternal uncle's wife or a teacher's wife or the wives of other honored persons, and the world would have fallen into promiscuity, as with goats, sheep, chickens, pigs, dogs and jackals. But as these two bright principles protect the world, there is discerned respect for mother... and the wives of other honored persons."

Lokapala Sutta

:)
  • edited April 2010
    This is a big part of Theosophy (Alice Bailey in particular). All these intermediate zones are explored. In the end it's all just stuff. The most subtle realm is no "closer" to anything than a bag of doggy-do. An object of awareness is an object of awareness.

but the question is how *to approach* the object of awareness as to see it's true nature - how to "descend and ascend" ?
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Chasing after desirable states is half the problem.

hopefully this article will make my intention/view clearer (regarding changing states vs. *station* :

State and Station

Progress on the path brings new and unusual experiences: some confusing, some exhilarating, most unexpected, and nearly all deeply satisfying. These markers along the way confirm the rightness of our efforts. But the undeniable attraction of spiritual experiences may lead us, counter-productively, into pursuing them as an end in themselves. However, it is not our purpose in the path to chase after new and fleeting experiences, as if the spiritual world were an amusement park. Rather we embark on a steady quest for permanent changes in our level of being, a quest to be able to serve more deeply. We need not play the spiritual tourist in a sacred land, snapping photos as keepsakes of our journeys. Instead we seek to become residents of that land. Sublime spiritual experiences, in themselves, do not necessarily indicate changes in our level of being.

The Sufis offer a clear description of these issues with their two terms: state and station. States are temporary experiences, which come and go. Regardless of how high a state we might enter, we return to the same station when the state departs. Our station describes our level of being, our stable inner home, characterizing our usual modes of living and perceiving, defining the limitations of our daily life. We may even experience states corresponding to a very high station, but unless our being changes, we soon fall back to states more typical of our true station..

We can describe states and stations in terms of their characteristic energies. For example, we usually operate on the automatic energy. Thus, our station, our starting point in the spiritual journey is the automatic energy and the particular patterns and habits it drives in us. Sometimes an intense experience may shake us out of our autopilot mode: perhaps a beautiful sunrise touches us. At that moment, we temporarily live in the next higher energy, the sensitive, more aware of ourselves and our surroundings. Life vividly blossoms and fills us. A short time later finds us mired once again in our habitual patterns, associative thoughts and daydreams. Then we remember the state we entered during the sunrise, how wonderful we felt. We tell ourselves and our friends about how much progress we have made on the spiritual path and offer the sunrise experience as proof. We even begin to daydream about our progress, about how much we have learned and changed.

The problem is we have not changed. We still live primarily in the automatic energy. And instead of diligently pursuing the practices that could help us awaken by creating our stable home in the sensitive energy, we daydream about former glories. Passing experiences, passing states do not signify a change in our station, in our level of being. Bearing in mind this distinction, pointed out so powerfully by St. John of the Cross, helps us persist in our practice and prevents us from being sidetracked by high states. Wonderful experiences will come. We do not try to hold onto them, nor do we reject them. In fact, mulling over or boasting about them, even to ourselves, saps their benefit to us. We just let them come and go, without attachment, while we keep up our practice.

All this is not meant to imply that the experience of higher states constitutes a problem in itself. The problem only occurs if we grow attached to or identified with the state. But these higher than normal states can indicate progress toward permanent change of station. The new experience encourages us to continue the inner work. The excitement and enthusiasm in their wake enable us to practice more than before. This new level of practice may even repeatedly propel us into the new state. Alas, the excitement inevitably wanes, our practice diminishes, the new state stops visiting us, and we slip back to where we were before.

Then we face the challenge of strengthening our inner work without the immediate gratification of the higher states we have tasted. This situation calls us to a steadfast, sober, and mature practice, bolstered by the faith awakened by our earlier experiences. Persistence pays, though. Perhaps after several cycles of this whole process and some years of practice, the higher state gradually becomes more normal for us, we enter it as our new and natural domain, and some of our old attachments no longer control us. Then we accelerate our practice again and we reach a tipping point. In retrospect, we discover that our station, our being has changed and we have a new freedom.

And then we practice more.
  • edited April 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    I am not sure this is about (loka) but, i have studied the realms spoken of in the "Tibetan Book of the Dead". For me these are psychic/mental plateaus or planes in everyday life. Though the Tibetan tradition is to read the book to those who are dying and have recently passed on. They include the "Hell, Hungry Ghost, Animal, Human, Jealous Gods, and the God realm", i have practiced viewing these realms and what happens when one is "Caught up" in one. Lets say you get caught up in the God realm, well the result is it's opposite or the Hell Realm, For the Jealous God realm the opposite is the Hungry Ghost realm, and for the Human realm, the Animal realm is it's opposite or like Yin/Yang it's companion. Try it sometime throughout the day and see if it is not the case....:)

an interesting speculation is this : if a person remain his/her entire life in - let's say "hungry ghost realm" (uncontrollable desires and addictions - drug addicts,sexual obsessor etc... )after death ,what will be this persons environment/realm?)
  • edited April 2010
    traveller wrote: »
    an interesting speculation is this : if a person remain his/her entire life in - let's say "hungry ghost realm" (uncontrollable desires and addictions - drug addicts,sexual obsessor etc... )after death ,what will be this persons environment/realm?)

I am not sure. And you are right about speculation. It is more just an exercise on viewing/understanding the different a priori's we carry around. I do not believe in an after life. So your question i can not answer. I do not think that a person remains totally in one state. They transform. Sometimes very slowly, but other times not so long.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    traveller wrote: »
    but the question is how *to approach* the object of awareness as to see it's true nature - how to "descend and ascend" ?

There is not an ascention or descention involved. No approach is needed. The true nature of objects simply presents to a mind that is undistorted by identification with objects. This "True" mind is realized through negation.

This post describes this process ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92244&postcount=20

Incidentally... notice that in the Bhavacakra all the realms, both heavenly and hellish, are equidistance from the centre of the wheel.
  • edited April 2010

Regarding the 6 realms and Tibetan Buddhism, if one speaks offline to a Tibetan Buddhist teacher about the 6 realms they will probably tell you that they can be interpreted as mental states. This certainly happened in my own experience.

With regard to different interpretations of the language of Dharma this talk might be of interest:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books5/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Two_Kinds_of_Language.htm

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    traveller,

Exploring those states doesn't get us closer or further from anything, rather they are reflections of what is. While travelling, it isn't the destination that defines us, but how we carry ourselves and relate to where we are. The trick, if there is a trick, is to see it how it is, no matter how painful or joyous it is, just notice it... then keep moving. Our "station" in the Sufi vernacular will evolve naturally as we continue to practice, relate and move on. In breath, gap, out breath, gap.

Dazzle,

The way it was taught to me (Tibetan) was that those realms aren't really states, because there are no lines, boundaries or static qualities to make the mind set in those ways. Rather, they are an observed set of patterns or ruts that people sometimes have in response to stimuli that arise in the world. The goal of identifying with the realms in that way is not to attempt to move between them, but see how we also have the various ruts of those realms in our journey. It is rare to find a person, including ourselves, who is exclusively "in" one.

But, as a helpful tool in seeing and relating more directly to archetypal patterns people display...

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Matt,

The way it was explained privately to me by a Tibetan tulku many years ago, was that, for example, if one has been behaving in a very ignorant way, then one is 'reborn' into the mental state represented by the animal realm.

One can therefore theoretically be in more than one realm in a day, depending on one's fluctuating emotions. They're really just a useful way of representing the klesas.

Kind regards,

Dazzle