Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to Buddhism - Lots of questions

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

I am reading "In my own words - H.H. The Dalai Lama" as my introduction to Buddhism but I find I have alot of questions.

1. Why isnt it ok to believe in a God as the creator of all life? As in, god created the initial spark of life and then evolution and time took it to where we are now? Buddhism seems to say "there is no god life can only come from life and time is infinite" But cant we say "time and life began with god" and then continue being buddhist from there without any issue?

2. It seems to me like the Buddha is almost considered a God? Other readings I have read suggest that we must make offerings to him and take refuge in him etc? I understand that the Buddha was the original teacher and we owe much to him and we should respect and look up to his teachings, but isnt thinknig to much about the teacher instead of the teachings against the point? What I mean is, instead of there being Three nobel jewels we take refuge in, we just keep the three nobel jewels but take refuge only in The Teachings and the Community instead of the Buddha.

I'll wait to discuss these before I ask some more!

Thanks!

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Diego, welcome to the forum :)

1) Who says you can't believe in god to be a buddhist? Many people believe in a god whilst still being buddhists.
    What you might be referring to is the teaching of dependent origination http://www.buddhanet.net/funbud12.htm which states that things are because of something else or many things, coming together in the right environment. If one believes that the universe was created by a god, most buddhists would ask "who created god?".
    But buddhists come in many shape and sizes. Some believe in god :)
    Buddha also taught that a god cannot help us end our suffering (or give us salvation) only we can do that ourselves.
    He also said that speculation over the existance of a god is fruitless http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

2) In some countries, in small villages in the country side, buddha is seen as a god, but this is because they misunderstand the teachings of the buddha.
    When we take refuge and bow to the buddha (in front of statues), this may seem strange to a westerner, especially one who is skeptical. We have many different statues of buddha, but we don't really know what he looks like. The markings (32 marks of an enlightened being http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_characteristics_of_the_Buddha) on the statue; his hair, his eyes, the lines across his neck, his robes, his hand gestures, and seated position:- all have meaning. The statue of the buddha is not only our teacher, but our ideal, our goal. We are taught that all can become just like the buddha, so in that sense, the statue is our mirror, or our goal.
    We take refuge in the buddha because he is our root teacher. He found the way and taught us. For that we are truly grateful. And for that, we bow to the ground.
    http://www.dharmadrum.org/master/master.aspx?cid=C_00000049

Nios :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    diego898 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am reading "In my own words - H.H. The Dalai Lama" as my introduction to Buddhism but I find I have alot of questions.

1. Why isnt it ok to believe in a God as the creator of all life? As in, god created the initial spark of life and then evolution and time took it to where we are now? Buddhism seems to say "there is no god life can only come from life and time is infinite" But cant we say "time and life began with god" and then continue being buddhist from there without any issue?

2. It seems to me like the Buddha is almost considered a God? Other readings I have read suggest that we must make offerings to him and take refuge in him etc? I understand that the Buddha was the original teacher and we owe much to him and we should respect and look up to his teachings, but isnt thinknig to much about the teacher instead of the teachings against the point? What I mean is, instead of there being Three nobel jewels we take refuge in, we just keep the three nobel jewels but take refuge only in The Teachings and the Community instead of the Buddha.

I'll wait to discuss these before I ask some more!

Thanks!

Excellent questions, diego ... you're really thinking about this. My response is to pass on what is taught by my teacher, a Tibetan monk from the Dalai Lama's monastery:

God? Buddhism doesn't so much say there isn't a God as they say it doesn't matter ... we are here, and we can only obtain release by our own efforts. No one else can do that for us. As for creation, Buddhists don't are concerned with what to do about "now", and how to now what the future will hold.

Is the Buddha a God? Our teacher says no. But Tibetan Buddhism has all the trappings of a religion, yet with a chewy core of Buddhism in the center (like a Tootsie Roll pop). I am uncomfortable with the deification of Buddha and all the various emanations, but I because I have not experienced these emanations does not mean they don't exist ... Doesn't mean they do exist, either. Some people need to take a stance that there are no higher powers, neither Buddha nor God. Some people need to pay homage to a higher power. To me it all seems a paradox, and since Buddhism endeavours to make us stop trying to grasp and pin things down, and accept paradoxes, I guess I accept that I have no answer.

I don't think it matters, as long as people find that they become kinder, wiser, and less reactive (being offended, angry, greedy, etc) ... because wherever you find behavior change, there you also find that learning has occurred.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Diego,

1. Buddhism is a path of the cultivation of the wisdom to freedom from dukkha. The question of God isn't relevant to this path and the Buddha declared it unanswerable, so the Buddha took no position. You are of course free to believe whatever you want, as a Buddhist, but I would empasize the word believe. Generally in Buddhism we aim to let go of beliefs and not hold speculation as truth. Also some definitions of God simply contradict the teaching of impermanence- and there's always the question of "and what was before God?" - but these are questions for you to explore yourself.

2. I've never taken formal refuge. Taking refuge is an internal dedication to the practice of the teachings and a respect for the dhamma and to the Buddha. I personally keep an alter but it's symbolic and I see it purely as part of practice; the offerings are of gratitude and to all beings; it's a practice to cultivate compassion and a constant reminder throughout the day.

I might suggest Theravada or Zen to you instead although there are plenty of excellent Tibetan teachings... They might just not all be for you.
  • edited April 2010
    I might suggest Theravada or Zen to you instead although there are plenty of excellent Tibetan teachings... They might just not all be for you.

Why would you suggest this to me? I am very curious about the difference between the disciplines.
  • edited April 2010
    I find I have alot of questions.

I hope you never run out of them.

I think in time your mind will settle on these issues:) Dont fret about them too much yet.

Mat
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In general buddhists do not believe in God, but that doesn't mean that holds for you. You might have a hard time understanding non-self if you believe God has a self nature. For example some people say God is love. God could not have loved without for his creation. So part of God's so called nature is co-dependently arisen with the rest of the world, his creation. Note: this implies that love is conditional which is quite probably false, but it does make a point about God and non-self.

Refuge in the buddha is taken because its important to believe enlightenment is possible. Its like having an older brother who became successful and got out of the ghetto or something. You see someone could do it.

My teacher is in the Tibetan tradition and she is friendly with her students many of whom believe in God. So I think Mundus had a bad experience with something that is not generally true of Tibetan Buddhism.
  • edited April 2010
    I held on to the Deist concept of God for 10 years, then moved onto the Taoist ( Jedi :D) force idea for a further 10. Then it all just become like dew in the morning light. I suddenly realized it wasn't this universal soul connecting all living things, but just the universe itself being constantly impermanent, Karma brings change, and on and on.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think Tony hit on what I was going to say. My feeling (I don't like the word "belief" - it implies permanence) is that what some humans think of as "God" is really just another word for the universe. Whether you call it God, Allah, Vishnu, or Rumplestiltskin doesn't much matter. It's a constantly renewing force throughout all things in the universe (or universes, who knows?).

Mtns
  • edited April 2010

The real absolute is just spros bral (beyond concepts). It can't be spoken of. It's not x, not not-x, not both, not neither. Anything else you may hear about "lack of inherent existence", "emptiness", "God exists", "God does not exist", etc - it's all just a skilful means, a concept- or proxy-emptiness to get to that real spros bral absolute.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited April 2010
    1. Why isnt it ok to believe in a God as the creator of all life? As in, god created the initial spark of life and then evolution and time took it to where we are now?
    You can believe in anything you want. The problem is that people tend to say the Buddha agrees with them. If you are ok with saying "I'm a Buddhist and I believe in a creator God" while admitting this is not a Buddhist belief I don't see why not.
    Buddhism seems to say "there is no god life can only come from life and time is infinite" But cant we say "time and life began with god" and then continue being buddhist from there without any issue?
    Because if Buddha believed in a supreme God he wouldn't have became a renunciate and preach the dissolution of craving as a ways to liberation. He would just make sacrifices to the Gods. Historically these two are opposites.

Today it would make perfect sense to mix them both together if you want to.
    It seems to me like the Buddha is almost considered a God? Other readings I have read suggest that we must make offerings to him and take refuge in him etc?
    Refuge means setting your life in the right direction. It means you accept the triple gem as a means to find liberation from suffering.

As for the Buddha being a God he does have special qualities, but those are attainable by everybody.
    but isnt thinknig to much about the teacher instead of the teachings against the point?
    The Buddha and the teachings are inseparable. He is the embodiment of the path and the example to be followed.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Why would you suggest this to me? I am very curious about the difference between the disciplines.
    People seem to think that Tibetan Buddhism is more devotional and ritualistic whereas Zen and Theravada are more down to earth. That is the general opinion though, you might want to try to investigate it further and drawn your own conclusions.
  • edited April 2010
    1. You can believe in a god/God or gods if you want. Buddhism isn't the kind of religion that makes the statement "If we don't teach it, it doesn't exist"... rather, it teaches what we already should know and how to open our eyes to see the truth of those things. On other subjects, which are speculative in nature (can't be proven either way), the Buddha remained silent or admonished his followers not to engage in those types of questions which are not helpful in attaining Enlightenment. There are concepts even in Buddhism that are like this, but if you can't believe in them at least you can learn to remain open-minded rather than disbelieving. Avoiding the extremes is what it's all about.

2. The Buddha was just a man, born of conditions as we all are, that discovered the reasons why we suffer on the very deepest level of the mind. His teachings trump modern psychology. He wasn't a God or anything like that, just a very compassionate and very intelligent man that discovered the truth for himself and taught others to help them realize the same. A lot of people think of the Buddha as the "perfect" man, but that's just mass respect. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you everyone for your help. You have made clear to me about worshiping the Buddha and about believing in God. I do like the concept of what some people call the universe is god etc. Great advice everyone! Ill have more questions soon!
  • edited April 2010
    wow...wonderful answer. !! ( not trying to boost your ego...lol)