Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All forms of violence are bad, but this is cool

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited April 2010 in Buddhism Today
Violence is bad. I oppose it in all its forms.

But Red Steel 2 is really...really...cool. The control of the sword with the Wii remote is pretty good, and there's not really any blood. This is an awesome sword-fighting game with a cool samurai western design.

I stayed up all night playing it.

Is that unskillfull?

red-steel-2-20090819100506416.jpg

127894-RS2_S_025_Air.jpg

Red-Steel-2-060309.jpg

4a9412086805f681311bd9895644a335.jpg
red-steel-2-screenshot-big.jpg

RedSteel2_Boxart.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Oh, you got me thinking about it... is it that much better than the first one?

I'm very non-violent but a game like this if done right with the new controller would certainly be entertaining...

I did not realize it was out, but then again, I seem to buy games and never play them afterward so I have stopped throwing money away on this. still... uhm....
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    it's not anything lke the first one - this is Wii Motion Plus only, and single player only.

I'm completely hooked. Have to wait for my daughter to go to bed before I can play it. (rated T for Teen)

http://redsteelgame.us.ubi.com/

Some good videos of the gameplay at http://redsteelgame.us.ubi.com/red-steel-2/?page=medias.

and a great review at IGN.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Nintendo World Report (90%):
    “Plain and simple, this is one of the finest games to grace the Wii console.”
    GamingNexus (A+):
    “Are you a gamer? Do you own a Wii? Then you need Red Steel 2. In fact, this game is a reason to own a Wii all by itself.”
    IGN (86%):
    “There are still some issues, both in game balance as well as wishy-washy motion sensing control, but the awesome style and energetic gameplay are enough to make this one of the top titles on Wii.”
    GameZone (8.5/10):
    “While there are some lingering control issues and a linear feel, this is one of the best shooters you can find on the Wii.”
    GameShark (A-):
    “The sword fighting works well at first but it isn’t until you start unlocking the various special moves where the system really opens up into one of the most thrilling and visceral combat experiences on any console.”
    Cubed3 (9/10):
    “Ubisoft have created an amazing adventure.”
    GamesRadar (90%):
    “But that’s exactly why you should forget the first, as this completely overhauled sequel is easily the best FPS on Wii and a wonderfully shocking example of how damn good a Wii-exclusive shooter can be.”
    GamesTrailers (86%):
    “Red Steel 2 has it where it counts, with a deep combat system that continuously improves as the game progresses. It could do with more interesting tasks outside of battle, but it nails the swordplay like no game before it.”
    GamerVision (8.5/10):
    “It single handedly proves the Wii MotionPlus’s value for adventure games, while providing one of the best action experiences on the system.”
    VideoGamer.com (80%):
    “Despite its flaws, Red Steel 2 is one of the best action games on the Wii.”
    VideoGamesDaily (8/10):
    “Red Steel 2 is complex without being incoherent, innovative without being off-putting, and one of the finest brawlers we’ve played full stop.”
    Game Informer (80%):
    “Red Steel 2: Stellar Swordplay Overcomes A Few Dull Edges”
    Even Eurogamer (who gave us a 70%) had lots of nice things to say, like:
    “In the end, you’ll likely forgive Ubisoft’s game its shortcomings on the strength of its energy, obvious good will, and deep sense of craft.”
  • edited April 2010
    Unless you are a minor and the violence might "catch", it's all good. It's still an attachment, but I'm not going to lecture anyone on that. I'm trying to set up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to work with my gamepad right now on my PC... ;)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yup, it is settled then. Ubisoft makes the best video games.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I practiced and competed in Kendo for several years, so I'm very into samurai type stuff. But red steel has always kind of came across to me as false advertising. Why would you call a game red steel if it had no blood? Where does the red come from? A katana or blade is used to slash or pierce. If you are going to beat your opponent by blunting them then why not use a staff instead?

It makes me think the game is all style and no substance. To someone wielding a blade cutting a worthy opponent down was a very bold move. That brought in the philosophy of life and death into everything the katana wielder did. Even for a blade to be used in a game there should be blood because that will always be the outcome of using a blade. The best swords and kitchen knives were made for that purpose to cut well. If a game cannot show what a blade really does then they're pulling a punch and trying to make a blade light hearted entertainment.

I wish they would respect the blade for what it really does. I'm glad it got good reviews though. It's nice to see action games out there that had effort go into them. I've been playing God of War 3 as of late. Extremely violent game, but regardless, it's a masterpiece. Because on the contrary everything in the game is appropriate.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I've played video games my whole life. Probably always will until I'm too old to see the screen or too riddled with arthritis to work the controller. Might be an attachment, but if so it's one of the few I have and I don't presume to be above attachment just yet. The game above looks like it's kinda like Afro Samurai, well in that same kind of anachronistic vein.

I'm a big fan of the God of War series. Sure it's ultra-violent, but that's part of why I like it (that and I've always dug epic adventure type games). The way I see it as long as the violence and violent thoughts stay in the game there there is no harm. If anything such games can serve as a harmless outlet for aggressive feelings.

On the other side of the coin I cannot say enough about Flower (which unfortunately for you non-Playstation folks is a PS3 exclusive). It's a wonderful relaxing game than evokes all kinds of positive emotions. One of the most unique games I've come across in a long time, and definitely one of the best of 2009.
  • edited April 2010
    Violence is not inherently a bad thing IMHO, and certainly not video game "violence". Preventing ignorance and suffering from arising is good. Failing to achieve this goal is increasingly "bad" the less skillful you are at it. Even Hitler thought he was doing good. Unfortunately, he was unskillful to the point of being pure evil. So play all the violent games you want as long as you don't let them harden your mind against the suffering of other beings, and there will be no bad karma. What did you think tantra is? Nothing but pretend violence harnessed for a (usually) good cause. :D
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I too see nothing wrong with video games.

But as Buddhists, we have to consider where we put our attention. There is a heady excitement from playing a good video game. We need to ask ourselves:
    What is the nature of this heady excitement?
    What other things/activities/emotions produce a similar response?
    Are these things on the road to freedom and enlightenment, or do they reinforce our attachment to our emotional states?
    And we need to remember that "pleasure" is the strongest of all behavioral reinforcers.

Buddhism is essentially a re-training of our dominant imprints and attitudes. What we do off the meditation cushion is as important as what we do on it. Therefore we need to be aware of those reinforcers we choose to pursue. No, I am not saying don't play video games. I am not saying they are "bad". And I am not even saying that I "know" what the results of your examination will be.

I AM saying that WHATEVER we do in ALL areas of our life, we need to examine and think about the effects ... only then can be consciously choose our directions.
  • edited April 2010
    I try to identify the game's Buddha-nature. All phenomena have something positive to teach us, sometimes as virtuous examples, sometimes by showing us how ignorance and suffering are to be avoided. That way, even hate-mongers are transformed into completely purified Buddhas, because no one can force us to learn what exactly they're trying to teach us. Phenomena teach, we learn, so why not move past shallow appearances and learn the true lessons of every event? Afterwards, we may even find ways to help our teachers if they're consumed by dissatisfaction.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To me video games are a great temporary outlet that help challenge the mind (too much of one thing is never good). I mean even if it's a violent game we all know what too much repression can do. But any how I am really diggin the trailer for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJam5Auwj1E "Flower". It's made by the same team that makes God of War and now they're taking a complete 180 and making that game. I'm sure it will be worth playing.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To me video games are a great temporary outlet that help challenge the mind (too much of one thing is never good). I mean even if it's a violent game we all know what too much repression can do. But any how I am really diggin the trailer for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJam5Auwj1E "Flower". It's made by the same team that makes God of War and now they're taking a complete 180 and making that game. I'm sure it will be worth playing.

*ahem*
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin I cannot say enough about Flower (which unfortunately for you non-Playstation folks is a PS3 exclusive). It's a wonderful relaxing game than evokes all kinds of positive emotions. One of the most unique games I've come across in a long time, and definitely one of the best of 2009.

:p
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2010