Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some more Arizona wildlife photos

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited May 2010 in General Banter
Finally downloaded the pics from my camera this evening. Here are a couple of shots from in and around the Tucson area last week.

First up, a face only a mother could love. A western diamondback about 5' long. No, I didn't get this close, this was from about 10' away with a 105 mm lens. And yes, he did shake his rattle at us. I respect that :)

KingsCanyonRattlesnake1.jpg

Next up, California poppies and lupine. The poppies were blooming everywhere above about 3000'. There were literally carpets of them. They're the most intensely yellow thing I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous.

Poppies1.jpg

Poppies2.jpg

And finally, a pic of the Phone Line Trail in Sabino Canyon. I'm not big on high places, and there are a few places on this trail where you're kind of hanging out there in midair, or so it seems. Positively picturesque, and a good cardio workout! And now that I look at it, what I labeled "About 500 feet" is probably closer in reality to 800-1000'. Yikes! I'm glad I didn't realize that when we were walking it!

SabinoCanyonPhoneLineTrail2.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Beautiful, but hot.
  • edited April 2010
    wow... nice photos.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    thank you...

:)
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Oh, my gosh, those poppies are gorgeous! I love vibrant yellows and oranges in flora. In the mountains in VA, early June, there are always these late-blooming azaleas called flame azaleas - have a bright yellow/orange bloom and the bush literally looks as if it's on fire in the sunlight!

Great shots!
  • edited May 2010
    If only more of us had an eidetic/photographic memory. To be able to remember so vividly such beautiful sights of nature... though so too would the "nasty" images be preserved. Ah well.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thanks. Yes, I have some flame azaleas up in the woods above my house (I live in Giles County - where do you live TreeLuvr87?). They really are gorgeous, but honestly, can't compare to the almost fluorescent yellow/orange of the California poppies. They're amazing.

Mtns
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Oh, my gosh, those poppies are gorgeous! I love vibrant yellows and oranges in flora. In the mountains in VA, early June, there are always these late-blooming azaleas called flame azaleas - have a bright yellow/orange bloom and the bush literally looks as if it's on fire in the sunlight!

Great shots!
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Mountains, I'm out in Middlesex County along the Chesapeake Bay but try to frequent the mountains regularly. I just completed a solo overnight backpack trip near Rockfish Gap and plan to do another to McAfee knob in a couple of months - out your way! Glad to know another Virginian on the site :-)
  • edited May 2010
    I've only just seen the photos....lovely, thanks ! Yellow has always been my favorite color.