Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
How can one thing be a good deed when something else is a bad/ evil deed ?

Is their a god who Judges our Karma and selects our next life if we do not achieve Nirvana ?

most likely not . We judge our own Karma and label it as Bad or Good . Based on our last thoughts of our bad deeds and our attachment to this world that decides a fortunate rebirth or a misfortunate one .

This is where it can be dangerous . Your a Socialpath serial killer who enjoys killing people . So killing by your standards is a good deed . Your saving someone the pain of old age .

Everything we do has a consequence . If i rob a bank and get caught ima go to jail for a long time. If i give a poor man food and he eats it , then he is not hungry for a while .

Im beyond Good deeds & evil deeds since the term good and evil deeds do not exist and are an illusion .

I understand the consequences of my actions and make sensible choices . Which in turn keeps my Karma pure so to speak .

( Last night I was exploring this in Meditation , What are other members expeirences with Karma ? )

l8r guys

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Nite wrote: »
    Murdering a baby as it sleeps = bad karma
    Helping an ole lady across the road and carrying her shopping for her = Good Karma.
    Where's the problem?
    Is their a god who Judges our Karma and selects our next life if we do not achieve Nirvana ?

most likely not .

Er...no...definitely not.
    We judge our own Karma and label it as Bad or Good
    No, we don't.
    karma, is basically being kicked in the ass BY our deeds, as opposed to being kicked in the ass FOR them.
    We don't do the kicking though, methinks you'll find.....
    Based on our last thoughts of our bad deeds and our attachment to this world that decides a fortunate rebirth or a misfortunate one .
    I would consider this to be overly simplistic and misguided. Thus Wrong View....
    This is where it can be dangerous. Your a Socialpath serial killer who enjoys killing people. So killing by your standards is a good deed
    If you're a sociopath and this is your train of thought then fine. But Unless you are a sociopath, you have no idea what they're thinking. And simply because they 'enjoy' it, doesn't mean follow that they necessarily therefore believe it to be 'good'....
    I enjoy gorging myself on cream cakes, doughnuts and floating islands.... doesn't mean by my standards that it follows that they're good for me....
    Your saving someone the pain of old age .
    Unless of course, they're already old... so that shoots that theory down.....
    Everything we do has a consequence . If i rob a bank and get caught ima go to jail for a long time. If i give a poor man food and he eats it , then he is not hungry for a while.
    Right.....
    Im beyond Good deeds & evil deeds since the term good and evil deeds do not exist and are an illusion .
    Wrong......
    I understand the consequences of my actions and make sensible choices . Which in turn keeps my Karma pure so to speak
    You do know, don't you, that every time you do something which gives you 'Good karma' something else suffers 'bad Karma'? So, just how good is your Pure Karma now, huh?
    ( Last night I was exploring this in Meditation , What are other members expeirences with Karma ? )
    My experiences are that Karma arises with the original thought, and that although the results are not immediate, always, results are there nevertheless.
    However, speculation on exactly how and when Karma develops and arises, is fruitless. our intention should be to concentrate on the here and now, follow the Eightfold Path and Five precepts and live as best we can, according to those principles.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You are correct. There is karma. Whether it is good or bad is a human judgement.
    No, but actions shape habits of thought which shape the relationship to experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010

In Buddhism, bad actions are deemed "bad" or "unskillful" if they lead to to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both. Good actions, on the other hand, are deemed "good" or "skillful" if they don't lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both (MN 61). Therefore, the distinction between good and bad actions is based upon how their results are experienced—not only by ourselves, but by others as well.
  • edited April 2010
    karma has two parts
    karma we creates now (cause) [think, speak, do]
    karma we experience now (effect) [result of previous thought, speech, done]

what ever we experience now is karma vipaka (effect of a previous cause/ causes)
    our reaction to such experience is karma we create now
    if we can act with wisdom but not react we may or may not create kamma vipaka

that is because the wisdom has different levels

if our wisdom is the knowledge we gained from outside then we create kamma again but for good kamma vipaka

if our wisdom is our own understanding of the reality, namely everything is impermanent, suffering and non-self, and act accordingly to the experience at hand then there is no kamma vipaka (this wisdom is with Arahnts only)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Karma happens because, as human beings, we have a nervous system, we have a conscience.

This is a natural survival mechanism created by nature, through evolution.

If human beings did not have a nervous system that sensed danger, harm & pain, then survival & evolution would be difficult.

So 'good & evil' arise because human beings have a nervous system.

Kind regards

:smilec:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    You are correct. There is karma. Whether it is good or bad is a human judgement.
    'Good' and 'bad' are concepts placed upon sensory impingement.

They may merely be concepts but the sensory impingement is not.

If actions cause sensory impingement, that is, pleasant feelings and unpleasant feelings, then those actions are good & bad actions.

My view is good & bad is natural law rather than human judgment.

:)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I had a talk similar to this with one of my friends who insisted that because the labels good and bad are subjective that karma is, in effect, only applicable to those who experience it. His example was a dog, who roots in poop, does not perceive the poop as bad, therefore it wouldn't be bad for the dog.

However, this view has some fatal flaws which I feel is part of what the first noble truth sets to bring to light. Our karma, and the suffering that follows, happens as we perform actions that are dissonant with our truest nature. In the instance of the dog, we might notice that fewer people want to kiss it, and that without cleaning is prone to infection. Suffering exists. Not as a fanciful subjective passing of judgement, though that could certainly ad upon the stack... but it is part of an ultimate reality.

This is to say that while suffering is experienced in the subjective, suffering is something that transcends the subjective experience. We cannot bury our head in the sand like an ostrich and call ourself free of suffering, no matter how deeply into it we push. In the instance of the psychopath, in order to kill that person, there is an undeniable distance between that person and the victim. It would be folly to describe the person as off their path, or even performing bad actions, as those require a subjective frame. However, when you open your heart to the murderer, you can easily see, with little exception, the vibrations that are set in motion through that action and feel a deep resonance for the suffering that it implants in his mind and his reality... even as he keeps his heart's eye tightly shut.

This accumulation has nothing to do with a god or God or the concepts of good or bad.

With warmth,
    Matt