Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Questions

I usually would ask this sort of question at e-sangha, but it seems to be down. I realize it would be more appropriate to ask of an instructor or teacher, but I don't have one. I've been meditating several hours a day (between 3 and 5) for about a year, which is when I began practicing. Since my only source is books/texts/the internet, I'm not always sure what to expect.

Anyways, one of my major focuses thus far has been 'breathing meditation', as discussed in numerous books on buddhism and meditation. Basically I sit or recline in a relaxing position, close my eyes, and breathe. When I notice thoughts, I try and bring them back to the breathing. At first I counted on the in breath and then exhaled, now I just try to focus on the breathing.

Anyways, my problem is this. I'm not sure if its good or bad, or what to expect or not expect, since none of the books or instructions I have access to mention it.

After meditating in this fashion for awhile, I start to...zone out is the best I can put it. Separate from the monkey-mind taking hold, its hard to describe and I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes when I zone out I end up falling asleep, other times I just come right out of it then go back to meditating.

A few times, and this is what I'm asking about...I'll dream. And its wierd because I usually only dream when I'm asleep, but these are rather like dreams. Let me describe a typical such experience.

Yesterday when meditating in my chair I opened my eyes to look at the bright window on the other side of the room. In the way was a very large mosquito, which I could barely see because of the light. Startled, I opened my eyes.....

And realized that my eyes had in fact been closed, and that I had slipped into a dream. Where I was meditating.

Its hard to describe and I'm not sure what to make of it. Am I doing something wrong? How can I keep from falling asleep when meditating? Could someone give some input or advice here?

Its rather hard because I enjoy meditation more then anything else, yet there are really no local resources for me to turn too, so I'm not sure if I'm doing things right or wrong.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The only observation I can offer is not to recline when meditating as you described above. It is best to sit upright and at moderate attention. Sitting like a mountain, resolute.

If one is prone, then sleep is a natural body response. If you are combining this with meditating in a darkened room, then your brain is certain to be producing melatonin while resting as well, which we know to cause vivid dreaming.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If I were meditating for 3-5 hours I would probably fall asleep too. I do go into this dream-like state at times and when I do I refocus on my breath and come out of it. I think that is normal for us beginners.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Texashermit's advice on posture is good, but I have a tendency to "zone out" as you describe even when sitting with my spine erect and unsupported. Develop the habit of attending to and opening to all aspects of experience as you notice it happening. In my experience, this will mitigate the zoning out for a while: the opening will lead to wakefulness. However, in my case, the zoning out began again after a while. It is not a big deal. Just keep attending to the experience. It is a very powerful practice, because it exposes to conscious awareness subtle mental processes which normally go unheeded.

If you are sitting that much, you really need to talk to a teacher. It doesn't have to be face to face. There are people who will consult with you online.
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I'll try improving my posture and attending to my experience more, and see if that helps. If it does, wonderful. If not, I'll try not to worry about it.

Regarding finding a teacher, fivebells...would you have any advice over how I would go about finding one?
    edited April 2010
    I would suggest picking some still-living people whose teachings you've liked and getting in touch with them by email. Describe your practice question, and ask whether you could discuss it with them briefly, through skype or the like.

I must admit, I have never done exactly this, but I did meet my teacher by cold-emailing him with practice questions, and I have considered consulting with him this way. (I meet him in person at retreats approximately once or twice a year. If you're serious, you don't need much teacher contact, but when you need it, you need it.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Basically I sit or recline in a relaxing position, close my eyes, and breathe.
    Hi friend

Reclining is not advisable. Sitting upright is advisable. Even if sitting in a chair (which is fine), one sits only on its base and not against the back of the chair.
    After meditating in this fashion for awhile, I start to...zone out is the best I can put it. Sometimes when I zone out I end up falling asleep, other times I just come right out of it then go back to meditating.
    This is the hindrance of sloth & torpor. The zoning out is often called 'sinking mind'. If this occurs, try moving one's awareness to the body posture & keeping it upright, to stay awake.

Whilst one part of the mind stays with & in its sinking concentration (until it clarifies), another part of the mind keeps vigilant on the hands, arms, shoulders & back keeping the body upright.
    A few times, and this is what I'm asking about...I'll dream. And its wierd because I usually only dream when I'm asleep, but these are rather like dreams.
    These are symptoms of sinking mind. Sometimes there are mental pictures. Indeed, they are like short dreams; flashes.

This is just the mind purifying itself. Be unconcerned and try to maintain wakefulness (by being aware of the mind, its quality & the body posture).
    Its rather hard because I enjoy meditation more then anything else, yet there are really no local resources for me to turn too, so I'm not sure if I'm doing things right or wrong.
    As advised, this is sloth & torpor, a hindrance that arises from meditation on breathing. But this hindrance is (positively) also a sign of calmness or tranquility developing.

The way to overcome it is to endure it. Be patient, accepting & as watchful as possible with it (broadening awareness on it, mind & body posture).

A more refined way to overcome it is to not focus so acutely on the breathing. Instead, sit in a more open way, with a more open & silent mind.

Instead of pushing the mind onto the breathing, just try to sit with mind open, aware, still and natural. Try letting the breathing come to the mind rather than taking the mind to the breathing.

Whilst this is a subtle practise, dependant on our readiness, it can overcome sloth & torpor.

best wishes

DD

:)
    edited April 2010
    Regarding finding a teacher, fivebells...would you have any advice over how I would go about finding one?
    Mmmm...I am not sure you really need a teacher.

You have received some appropriate advice here from Texas H and myself.

But meditating with a group can be helpful (plus there will often be a 'teacher' with a group if you need to ask a few questions).

Sitting with group has a beneficial energizing quality.

Kind regards

DD

• skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Mmmm...I am not sure you really need a teacher.

You have received some appropriate advice here from Texas H and myself.

But meditating with a group can be helpful (plus there will often be a 'teacher' with a group if you need to ask a few questions).

Sitting with group has a beneficial energizing quality.

Kind regards

DD

I don't know why you wouldn't think a teacher would benefit students. I've had many teachers and they've all been helpful.
    edited April 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    I don't know why you wouldn't think a teacher would benefit students. I've had many teachers and they've all been helpful.
    I am not saying a teacher is not helpful. I am just suggesting to not develop an inflated idea of the role of a "teacher".

Naturally, teachers can give very helpful & insightful tips, inspiration and even transmission (role model).

I just think beginning meditation practise with a group (rather than alone) is very helpful.

Kind regards

edited April 2010
    There are two reasons why a teacher is a good idea for someone pursuing such an intense regime. First, it's a huge investment of time: over a thousand hours a year. Feedback from a teacher can help ensure that investment isn't wasted. Second, when you practice that much, things can move fast, and weird, disruptive stuff can happen. It's good to have an established relationship with a teacher you can reach out to at such points.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Falling asleep is a major hindrance to many people including myself. I usually can best meditate during daytime after about 10 AM to 7 PM. Since I am doing a fultime job I am forced to choose the odd hours to meditate which leads to a lot of disturbances due to sleepiness. These are few tips to not fall asleep:

1) Meditate with your eyes open. They will eventually close when you gain enough samadhi

2) Select a time which you are not generally sleepy like the daytime

3) Practice (We are used to fall asleep when we close our eyes. It's natural. As you practice gradually you will be able to remain not falling asleep)
  • edited April 2010
    Most of the books I read are either by rather famous Buddhists who wouldn't have time to talk with me, or by Buddhist who are very much dead. So the idea that I could just use the forums instead of contacting someone is appealing; especially since it would let me get a diverse range of views. On the other hand, there is a good argument given above for getting a teacher of some sort, too. I'll have to contemplate it and decide.

In any case, the above advice regarding the original problem is very helpful. Thank you all very much.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I usually would ask this sort of question at e-sangha, but it seems to be down. I realize it would be more appropriate to ask of an instructor or teacher, but I don't have one. I've been meditating several hours a day (between 3 and 5) for about a year, which is when I began practicing. Since my only source is books/texts/the internet, I'm not always sure what to expect.

Anyways, one of my major focuses thus far has been 'breathing meditation', as discussed in numerous books on buddhism and meditation. Basically I sit or recline in a relaxing position, close my eyes, and breathe. When I notice thoughts, I try and bring them back to the breathing. At first I counted on the in breath and then exhaled, now I just try to focus on the breathing.

Anyways, my problem is this. I'm not sure if its good or bad, or what to expect or not expect, since none of the books or instructions I have access to mention it.

After meditating in this fashion for awhile, I start to...zone out is the best I can put it. Separate from the monkey-mind taking hold, its hard to describe and I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes when I zone out I end up falling asleep, other times I just come right out of it then go back to meditating.

A few times, and this is what I'm asking about...I'll dream. And its wierd because I usually only dream when I'm asleep, but these are rather like dreams. Let me describe a typical such experience.

Yesterday when meditating in my chair I opened my eyes to look at the bright window on the other side of the room. In the way was a very large mosquito, which I could barely see because of the light. Startled, I opened my eyes.....

And realized that my eyes had in fact been closed, and that I had slipped into a dream. Where I was meditating.

Its hard to describe and I'm not sure what to make of it. Am I doing something wrong? How can I keep from falling asleep when meditating? Could someone give some input or advice here?

Look into seeing a teacher, take your time to find one.

Sit upright as above said, keep your eyes open or half open, google zazen and eyes that should give you a good model.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    PS E-sangha is down, it seems it may be forever.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi physics.

You can find nearby sangha by looking up dharmnet.org

And never dismiss the importance of a teacher. So often we think we are "onto something", and it is our teacher who gently pulls us back onto the path. Buddhism is so non-Western, this distinctions so subtle, it is not easy to for us to grasp but it is very easy to mis-understand.

How to find a good teacher, a good sangha? I would avoid any that seem to be too money-hungry, for starters. I would look for a teacher who seems to exhibit those qualities I anticipate finding ... gentleness, alertness, tolerance, kindness, calmness, humble, laughs lightly and easily, and very strong qualifications from a specific lineage/school of Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism says it can takes years to assess a teacher, so just go with an open state of mind, ready to learn whatever is available to learn. Time will tell.

In Tibetan Buddhism, the first goal of meditation is to learn absolute, undistracted concentration ("calm-abiding", "single-pointed") ... Concentration so complete that thoughts, and outer distractions, no longer intrude. Our teacher does not encourage long meditations, because it is too easy to be learning and reinforcing mistakes in our technique. It is not the length of meditation that counts, but our success in learning to focus and concentrate. Several short meditations are recommended over one long one. The whole goal is to develop a fully-trained mind that is totally under your command and fully alert ... only then is the student ready to move on to the second type of meditation (analytical meditation).
  • edited April 2010
    A teacher is fine of course, but a sangha is so much better, because teachers are found in a sangha anyway. If the OP lives somewhere a sangha cannot be found, then a teacher is better than nothing at all perhaps, but it is the booby prize compared to finding a good group to practice with.

There is one exception to this, and that is if one is pursuing a guru-based tradition (and again...no sangha can be found because they live in the sticks). I do not personally attend to this path despite the many wonderful lessons I've benefited from within these traditions. In my path, there is no "fourth jewel" that is necessary (so to speak), and perhaps it is just my personality, but I find Theravada study to fit me. Teachers come and go in our lives. Sometimes they are even found in busy highway traffic!:mad::grin:

Although falling asleep happens on rare occasions in the sangha, it is much less likely to happen in that setting. One great statement I remember about this was from Chogyam Trungpa, who called group meditation "being in jail" because you are inclined to be "stuck" until the session is over, forcing you into more rigorous practice.
    edited April 2010
    Most of the books I read are either by rather famous Buddhists who wouldn't have time to talk with me...
    They are so well-known because they are some of the most helpful people on the planet. What have you got to lose by asking? You could describe your situation and what you like about their teachings, and ask whether they have any suggestions for who else you could approach.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    As for teachers, as DD said, a teacher is good to get advice and tips but ultimately meditation is one's own personal experience