Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Deity Yoga? (Part of tantra practices)

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
I read about deity yoga in His Holiness the Dalai Lama's book "How to Practice... the way to a meaningful life". He mentions how to do some basic practice but i would like more details on it.

Does anyone know much about it? I'd like to practice it.
Does anyone know how to practice it?

Comments

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Try this link for some hours of audio on Tantra:

http://www.archive.org/details/tse_chen_ling
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Imagine You're Enlightened
    Guru, Deity, Protector
    Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
    The Lion's Roar: An Introduction to Tantra

Note that all of these resources will tell you that a teacher is absolutely essential for this practice.
  • edited April 2010
    Your best bet is to find a teacher near you to explain things to you. It's much better to do that than learning from a book.. trust me :P Where do you live?
  • edited April 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
  • edited April 2010
    I just started with Diamond Way headed by a Lama Ole. I think what they practice is deity yoga.Heard of this and any thoughts on this group.?
  • edited April 2010
    I just started with Diamond Way headed by a Lama Ole. I think what they practice is deity yoga.Heard of this and any thoughts on this group.?

Any Tibetan Buddhist group is going to practice so-called "Deity Yoga".
    Diamond Way has been no stranger to controversy.
  • edited April 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    I read about deity yoga in His Holiness the Dalai Lama's book "How to Practice... the way to a meaningful life". He mentions how to do some basic practice but i would like more details on it.

Hi Snowpaw,

In order to practice deity yoga properly you need to get instruction at an offline Tibetan Buddhist centre and interact with a teacher.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• edited April 2010

Lama Ole is a controversial figure in Tibetan Buddhism.

• edited April 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand

You are very lucky to have centers so close to you :)

Try these out:

http://www.karmapa.org.nz/

http://www.nyima-tashi.org.nz/

This center is non-denominational but they have meditation retreats http://www.aucklandbuddhistcentre.org/index.htm
  • edited April 2010
    I read something once regarding tantra: 'those that seek it are the least suited to it.'

It's a fire that will you burn you up. Can you be on fire and not burn? Then it's the path for you. If not, run away. Read, read, read. Be careful...
    edited April 2010
    Yep. Generally, Tsem Tulku Rinpoche annoys the hell out of me, and he is generally very annoying in this talk, but he is spot in with the statement "If you're still depressed, you're not ready for tantra."
  • edited April 2010
    *snort* Wonderful! *laughing*
  • edited April 2010

Deity yoga is a Vajrayana practice, so you need to find not just a teacher that you trust to give you an empowerment and instructions, but also make sure that they are part of an unbroken transmission lineage. A Vajrayana teacher must have been asked by his teacher to teach, kept his own vows, including a bond of gratitude to his teacher, and should be on a beyond-personal level of realisation. What the deity represents is one (or more) aspects of the enlightened nature of mind, and what the teacher transmits to you is the seed of this same experience.

So it's not just something you can learn from a book. Having said that, I like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Tantra-Transformation-Lama-Yeshe/dp/0861711629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271437200&sr=8-1

Good luck!
  • edited April 2010
    A Vajrayana teacher must have been asked by his teacher to teach,

This isnt always the case. This is certainly the norm but one who has maintained vows, and holds the transmission of a practice can teach if they are requested to do so and are capable.
    There are cases where an individuals teacher may have passed away and that individual is then asked to transmit teachings to the next generation. As long as the individual has maintained samaya and is capable of teaching the practices there is no problem.
  • edited April 2010

I practice with this group too. Yes, you could say our meditations are deity yoga. The main practice is guru yoga on the 8th Karmapa, preceded by the ngondro from the ninth Karmapa.

The first meditation you'll do, which we do in the centres on public evenings, is also guru yoga, on the 16th Karmapa. For this you don't need empowerment, just an explanation. For the other practices you need transmission (lung) from a Karma Kagyu lama, and it's also good to have e.g. Dorje Sempa empowerment if you're practicing Dorje Sempa.

I suppose in general most meditations on Buddha aspects do usually require an empowerment.
    Anyone know which kinds of deity yoga don't need this? Would be interesting to know.
  • edited April 2010
    This isnt always the case. This is certainly the norm but one who has maintained vows, and holds the transmission of a practice can teach if they are requested to do so and are capable.
    There are cases where an individuals teacher may have passed away and that individual is then asked to transmit teachings to the next generation. As long as the individual has maintained samaya and is capable of teaching the practices there is no problem.

Thanks for the clarification. That's an interesting point. I guess if their teacher is alive, they should at least approve of them teaching.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for the clarification. That's an interesting point. I guess if their teacher is alive, they should at least approve of them teaching.

Right, under normal circumstances people probably shouldnt be teaching without the express consent of their own teacher or teachers.
  • edited April 2010
    Anyone know which kinds of deity yoga don't need this? Would be interesting to know.
    In many sangha's once you have had a major empowerment or at the very least a Vajrasattva (Dorje Sempa) empowerment you can get the lung or pewang for a practice and that is an acceptable method of transmission.
  • edited April 2010
    Wow, that video was very....interesting lol.

He doesn't seem to act like a monk, or someone who is called "rinpoche". But he has a point in his video, I guess. I still prefer how the Dalai Lama talks aobut dharma to the public.

Well, I still do get sad. So, when I perfect morality etc. And happier I can practice tantra???
    It doesn't make sense, I though deity yoga was supposed to help one engage in practice and in compassionate activities.
  • edited April 2010
    So Lama Ole and Diamond way are controversial.How much so.Indeed I wondered if they were in fact Buddhist or just some strange cult.Care to discuss them? May save me wasting my time with them.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, watching it again, I can appreciate what's he's trying to do more than I could the first time. A lot of his behavior seemed like a caricature of homosexuality, but now I can see that he's caricaturing childishness.
    Well, I still do get sad. So, when I perfect morality etc. And happier I can practice tantra???
    It's not about happy and sad. In modern terms, it's about emotional resilience. What he was pointing to with that remark is the capacity to experience such mental phenomena without shutting down to them, even when it feels like they're going to cleave your heart in two. That comes with (the right kind of) practice.
  • edited April 2010
    Wow, that video was very....interesting lol.

He doesn't seem to act like a monk, or someone who is called "rinpoche". But he has a point in his video, I guess.

He isnt a monk.
  • edited October 2010
    I've been practicing Dharma for almost seven years now. I recently have taken my tantric vows in order to practice the Vajrayana/Tantrayana path. Deity/guru yoga is not to be taken lightly; it's a serious practice and a commitment for life. Without proper empowerment and guidance from a qualified lama (from an unbroken lineage, of course), it can be extremely dangerous.

I wouldn't advise anyone to idly receive an empowerment/initiation simply because it has that mystical, exotic appeal. I strongly suggest also that one must have sufficient understanding of the Dharma (as well as a reasonable experience with one's teacher) before leaping to a very advanced aspect of the Vajrayana/Tantrayana path. Reading as much as you can about Tantra also helps. Consult your teacher if you're serious about tantra. Without proper understanding, preparation, and guidance, the practice will do more harm than good.

A tantric practitioner takes vows of bodhisattva, vows of self-secret, and vows to practice the deity yoga everyday of his/her life.

Hope this helps.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hehe I always love Tsem's Videos :)
    Im assuming you may be on about Self-Generation meditation.
    Its a bit like dressing up as superman and then becoming superman ( In your Imagination ) It certainly has profound effects anyway very capable of changing your mind with the right know how, Having a good teacher and a good lineage of Instruction is essential.
  • edited October 2010
    If you are interested in doing some Deity practice and still not found a proper teacher, then you could visualize Chenrezig http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qOn1nk9CrKI/SeJQd9nVoTI/AAAAAAAAApU/8j5NKOxmqg0/s400/Chenrezig~cropped.jpg in front of you and reciting his mantra: OM MANI PADME HUNG. Visualizing that rays of light come out of Chenrezig's heart and touches yours and of all sentient being of the universe, purifying their negative karma and relieving them from their suffering, always having in mind that ignorance is its main cause.

Also it is important to bear in mind the idea of the mantra, each syllable is connected to 1 of the 6 realms of the wheel of rebirth: Deva, asura, human, animal, preta, demons, and connected with one negative emotion: Pride, envy, desire/luxury, ignorance/stupidity, ambition, hatred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_mani_padme_hum

Good luck and remember YOU NEED a teacher in the Vajrayana path.
  • edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Hehe I always love Tsem's Videos :)
    Im assuming you may be on about Self-Generation meditation.
    Its a bit like dressing up as superman and then becoming superman ( In your Imagination ) It certainly has profound effects anyway very capable of changing your mind with the right know how, Having a good teacher and a good lineage of Instruction is essential.

I'm a big fan of Tsem's videos. He's the man!

Yes, self-generation (visualizing yourself as your yidam)--as opposed to front-generation (visualizing a deity in front of you)--is like channeling your super powers (and with it comes great responsibility ... or it will control/corrupt you). It's a fun, cool, comic-book way of describing deity yoga. It takes a lot of dedication, commitment, and meditation to follow the tantric path. It's not for everyone, though. It's serious business, this "hero business." LOL!
  • edited November 2010
    Deity yoga is a Vajrayana practice, so you need to find not just a teacher that you trust to give you an empowerment and instructions, but also make sure that they are part of an unbroken transmission lineage. A Vajrayana teacher must have been asked by his teacher to teach, kept his own vows, including a bond of gratitude to his teacher, and should be on a beyond-personal level of realisation. What the deity represents is one (or more) aspects of the enlightened nature of mind, and what the teacher transmits to you is the seed of this same experience.

So it's not just something you can learn from a book. Having said that, I like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Tantra-Transformation-Lama-Yeshe/dp/0861711629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271437200&sr=8-1

Good luck!

I LOOOOVE that book! I've read that cover-to-cover a few times before I embarked the Tantric path.

A similar book that I love and highly recommend is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tantric-Mysticism-Tibet-Techniques-Meditation/dp/0140193367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289926871&sr=8-1

I wrote a review for it as well under my handle (silmaril).