Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is anyone here a member of dharmamatch.com?

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited April 2010 in General Banter
I joined dharmamatch.com a few years ago. Not much happened for a long time, but the other day I got a "smile" from a woman who lives about 3 hours from me. She's Buddhist, single, cute as a button, and loves dogs. We've been emailing for a week or so. I'm happy :) Maybe it'll go somewhere, who knows?

Mtns

Comments

• edited April 2010
    oh yeah baby that's what i'm talking about
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    ... or maybe not. I know, no clinging, no attachment, etc, etc, etc. But dang it all - the day after we started communicating she meets a guy at the grocery store she'd met weeks before at a party.

Oh well... single for life I guess.

Mtns
  • edited November 2011
    I joined DharmaMatch on 19th October 2011 and signed up for a one-month membership. My membership expires next week. To date , I have viewed 40 profiles, "smiled" and indicated I am a paying member to 10-12 profiles so they can write back, been viewed back by only 9 so far, "smiled" back by 5 whom I then wrote to. You have to be a paying member to make contact but it seems people don't bother and most profiles are inactive.

All the profiles I had written to were in India.

Verdict: I'm glad I didn't sign up for a longer membership. The site is nearly dead.

I'm posting my review here as it seems there aren't any accurate reviews of the site anywhere, so the search engines can find this. Maybe the people who own the site might actually be encouraged to do something to help themselves.
  • I've been watching the Dharmamatch in the San Francisco Bay Area, and since the population there is enormous, DM seems active. I notice that profiles come and go, which indicates at least some people are matching up. The site isn't inactive, like it seems to be in areas with a smaller population.
  • I have not tried that, maybe better luck than when I did Eharmony and they basically said I was too weird, ok unique, to match anyone. Oh dear, I met my ex boyfriend by an amazing fluke, chance, whatever. it was a very good thing for 1 1/2 years, but it left me thinking that I really WOULD like that long term, grow old together relationship.

Do guys do this like women? I have a friend dealing with a husband who is out of the house, has cheated on and off for years and she recently found out, and is waffling of counseling etc. So the deal is if we do not find a relationship once our kids are grown we will be roomates. I don't like the idea of being alone ALL the time, and her only fault so far is being a picky eater.
  • EHarmony is pretty weird like that, and any site that would reject me as unsuitable while not knowing me is not worth my time or money.

Personally, I would rather a roommate than a relationship anymore. Company with no strings attached. I am at the age where sex is not a priority (yeah,a man just said that), and the idea of trying to date is distasteful. I haven't the energy much less the money.

Depends on how worth it it is to you. I am thinking an active social life would be preferable to getting into something unfulfilling or dramatic. Take on some projects, go to sangha, meditate more, and so on.
  • @AHeerdt You seem very intelligent. There's an intelligence factor in match-making services of any kind. I read an article by a journalist who tried out a computer match service (not a dating service, I think it was before the computer dating sites existed, back in the Stone Age of the 1990's sometime). It was one of the better ones, which meant it was very expensive, but the magazine the reporter worked for paid the fee. Still, it was a hefty sum, approx. $4000. She paid her money, filled out a lengthy form, and the owner of the service took one look at it and said she had no one for the client. The client sputtered, flabbergasted, "No one?! You advertise that you have a data base of 20,000 men!" The owner said, "It's your IQ. I have no one in that range." End of story. End of $4000. That's all she got for that small fortune.
  • Hmmm, does that make someone too smart for their own good? :p
  • My point was that some of these sites seem to collect pretty average people, which is why AHeerdt got booted, and probably many of the rest of us would fare as well.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Same experience here with eHarmony and DharmaMatch (hey, I should have got the t-shirt.)

Though DM still advertises in Tricycle and they say on their site that version 2.0 coming soon, so maybe there is hope.

• Well glad to know I am not the only one, and I am also glad to know that I am not the only one out looking in some way. I think my non-buddhist friends expect me to not be concerned about any of this, but even without attachement I would really like that 'grow old' person.

The intelligent thing, thank you forthe compliment by the way, is really irritating in so many ways and on so manylevels. For example I would love to work in GT education or affective needs special education. One factor I think in GT education is being highly intelligent in the gifted style IMHO. I was 2nd in line for my dream job last year but most of the time my uniqueness is not an assett in the job search within the teaching world. As a country(US) we do not know what to do with our gifted students to help them really achieve in the world, they need often help with finding their place in the team/sports culture of many companies but also how to advocate for their abilities. Recently I had another 'accept the uniqueness of me' surge and I stopped adjusting my language for others so much. That means in presentations I do not say 'like' or 'ya know' but instead have a silent moment, plus I use the most appropriate word even if it has many syllables. I realized this was one factor in recently being totally talked over and having my part taken in a group meeting, another opportunity for assertiveness huh.
  • @AHeerdt, I am sorry that exceptional intelligence is a hindrance for you, despite my rather flippant comment. Yesterday was one of those days I was trying to keep it light.

Often times people say that intelligent people are argumentative because they tend to question things. To them being questioned is an affront, like you are showing off or something, it also threatens them because they cannot keep up. In their embarrassment, or boredom (because they do not understand), they will talk over you and/or shut you down. They make it about them.

I am not sure that being more assertive will help matters. There is a saying that I like, and while in and of itself it too is a put down, it has a valid point. "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." I will replace the word idiot with "stubborn" or "one dimensional" because many times those people are unwilling or incapable of seeing things differently.

For instance, I like to use vocabulary on occasion, big words if you will. Rather than someone asking me what something means when they do not understand it they will say "ooh, look at you using big words". It's easier to put someone down rather than learn something I guess. I have been guilty of that myself, sometimes internally, sometimes externally.

It is ridiculous to have to "dumb yourself down" to make others feel better about themselves. Women tend to do that more often than men, I might add. For obvious reasons.

There are men (assuming you are female and looking for a man, I know it has its risks) who like intelligent women that they can have a conversation with, and not feel threatened by them. There's a lot to be said for deep conversation.

Don't give up! I have not either, despite what I posted earlier. I am just taking a break from romantic entanglements, having just gotten out of one that greatly stifled me. Romance turns up in the strangest places!
    edited November 2011
    I would like to be able to "dumb myself down" but not become dumbed down. We are surrounded by different people with different styles of communication. Doesn't it require a great skill to be able to relate to others on their level? Not necessarily to make them feel good... I don't know. Sometimes this "I am myself" thing seems too ego-based, imo.

An example: a friend of mine is middle-class, intelligent and articulate, and female. She used to work with kids in deprived working-class communities. She has an amazing ability to relate to them directly.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "ooh, look at you using big words".
    That is such a vapid, inarticulate answer.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Do guys do this like women? I have a friend dealing with a husband who is out of the house, has cheated on and off for years and she recently found out, and is waffling of counseling etc. So the deal is if we do not find a relationship once our kids are grown we will be roomates. I don't like the idea of being alone ALL the time, and her only fault so far is being a picky eater.
    probably inappropriate, but your comment reminded me of this...
    :lol:
  • "ooh, look at you using big words".
    That is such a vapid, inarticulate answer.
    To quote the dearly departed NotAGangsta: Indubitably.
  • I would like to be able to "dumb myself down" but not become dumbed down. We are surrounded by different people with different styles of communication. Doesn't it require a great skill to be able to relate to others on their level? Not necessarily to make them feel good... I don't know. Sometimes this "I am myself" thing seems too ego-based, imo.

An example: a friend of mine is middle-class, intelligent and articulate, and female. She used to work with kids in deprived working-class communities. She has an amazing ability to relate to them directly.
    No one wants to become "dumbed down", and navigating conversations does take skill at times. I am not entirely sure about the "I am myself" being ego-based though, it's just as ego-based to expect that you change for someone. We live in a me-centric world anymore.

There is nothing wrong with improving upon ourselves,however it should be for ourselves, not because others expect it.

I would be curious to know your friend's background, was she always middle-class? That could speak volumes to her ability to relate to those kids, or it could simply be a matter of obvious compassion that kids could feel coming from her, and tapped into.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @Tara thanks for the info on DharmaMatch. It seems to be dead in my town. This explains why the same people have been on there forever. no one responds to smiles (I hadn't paid for a membership at that point--their big selling point is that you don't have to make initial contacts, but maybe like you say, it helps. Unless the site's dead), nothing seems to be happening, and it's such a small population, there's not much choice. I checked out the women's side, and there's 4 times as many women on the site.

I did a preliminary membership to E-Harmony but it was weird. They sent me a bunch of what I'll diplomatically call "pretty average people", no one with common interests or anything. I quit.

Mountains, I thought you'd found a nice nurse the last time you went hiking? Did that not work out? The best way to find people is through pure serendipity like that, OMHO, though it takes time and luck.
  • Check the dates on the post...
  • I liked the masseuse! Mountains is too picky IMO. :D

(Just joking here)
  • Oh, she was a masseuse? I thought she was a nurse. And yeah, it's confusing when old old threads are revived. There seems to be an unusual amount of that going on lately.
  • Well, "masseuses" are typically prostitutes. We prefer "massage therapist". My OP was months ago, long before the nurse appeared on the scene. But confusingly, yes, she (the nurse) wants to go to massage school as well.

• A nurse who wants to go to massage school!!!

If she can fix cars and cut hair, she sounds like my dream woman.
  • Well Tosh, I can fix cars, but I can't cut hair (never tried, actually) :)

And what do you have to offer her, in exchange for nursing, massages, car repair, and haircuts?
    :wtf:
    There should be a precept against internet dating and other useless activities, perhaps even hanging out on Newbuddhist. :D

And what do you have to offer her, in exchange for nursing, massages, car repair, and haircuts?
    :wtf:
    Gratitude!

:p