Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

bodhisattva's sentient being saving database

edited April 2010 in General Banter
THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD and a bodhisattva has to consider this thoroughly and completely. SO MANY PEOPLE, not to mention non-human sentient beings, so many that they are COUNTLESS, though perhaps not uncountable,,, but i've devised a plan to help us out. to sort things out, each sentient being gets a number that corresponds to their physical location in the universe (or puny-verse for those smaller tasting heads) and is for example "sentient being no. 113,234,017" or "sentient being no. 789,374,663" or "sentient being no. 94", the number and order of the number in the number sequence is of course meaningless and sentient being no. 1 is at no difference from sentient being no. 33,445,567,324,223,332,987,374,550 to the 10th power, it just has more relevance to us as human beings. SO each sentient being gets a number and a sticker and depending on their virtuous merit, a pre-packaged toy buddha that comes with a pre-packaged saying by the historical buddha siddharta guatumy.
IN THE BODHISATTVA DATABASE we lock down more than just the numbers but we come to know each sentient being in the whole universe according to height, weight, rate of fingernail growth, taste in music, affiliation with the buddhadharma, sensual drive, color of hair, tone of voice, everything. SO ONE DAY ALL OF THEM WILL BE LIBERATED HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
alright
BEGIN! GO COLLECT SOME DATA!

Comments

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    You're trying to insert a chip into me so you can track me, aren't you? Are you with the government?

:)

Mtns

PS: Soylent Green is PEOPLE!
  • edited April 2010
    nice to meet you sentient being no. 931,374, you're looking very sentient today
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    SELECT SentientBeingNo FROM SentientBeings WHERE Enlightened IS NULL

Dang, it's been three days and the query is _still_ running. Kwannon wants a printout of the results. Do we even have that many trees?
  • edited April 2010
    CANCEL THAT order we already got the specifics on no. 022134750650, get back to your location and double time the configuration back to the comboodler... and make me some macaroni
  • edited April 2010
    if(function_exists(enlightenment_query) && $enlightenment!='true') {
    dharma('order_by=eightfoldpath');
    <!-- The ";" courtesy of Stephen! -->
    }
  • edited April 2010
    Think you at least forgot a ; there rbastien... ;)
  • edited April 2010
    OH NO!!!! THAT MEANS A SENTIENT BEING JUST UNSENTIENCED SOMEWHERE IN THE SENTIVERSE.,................................ .. .................................. ...... .. . .
    SOMEONE EXPLODED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:PWNED:
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Think you at least forgot a ; there rbastien... ;)

Haha, see what happens when a web designer attempts dynamic programming?! I added a conditional comment in there thanking you, but seems like vBulliten strips them :D
  • edited April 2010
    There's something very calming about programming, at least to me. I used to work on a MUD for about 7 years, most of which I was an administrator as well as a player, and eventually I also took over some of the coding aspect. I used to love monkeying around in the C/C++ code, even though at the time I didn't fully understand it all (so I inferred a lot because this type of code isn't so difficult to interpret).

Right now I'm working on brushing up on my Visual C# skills, and I think I'm going to make a simple Buddhist study guide/tool for Windows (sorry Mac/Linux guys). I'm going to try and simplify and reconcile the teachings in a way that can be easily digested, erring on the side of suspended disbelief on subjects that are difficult if not impossible to actually prove or disprove.

I figured I already made the first and only e-mail service for Buddhists; why stop there? I've made progress in practice already, so spending some time creating free services, helping out on several forums, and making a simple program to help people study... well, it just seems right. :) I'm especially hopeful that I can make palatable ideas/concepts in Buddhism that people have trouble with and/or can't bring themselves to believe.

Before I became a Buddhist, one of my dreams was always to be a sci-fi/fantasy author. Failing the motivation/ideas to write a book, I even worked on learning how to create Interactive Fiction games, which is like combining writing a book with programming. It was fun for a while, but I was doing it for my *self*, to be someone; be known, be rich, whatever. Now I can do something for other people, to help them, and that gives me much better motivation! (and for free; might not even add anything except my first name and e-mail address to the "about" portion of the program)

BTW I've done web design myself. I have one site I designed for a Non-Profit Organization that they even still use long after I left that job. ;) I'm sure you're much, much better at it than I am. I'd never call myself a "web designer", I'd merely say "I know how to do some stuff, yeah".
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    There's something very calming about programming, at least to me. I used to work on a MUD for about 7 years, most of which I was an administrator as well as a player, and eventually I also took over some of the coding aspect. I used to love monkeying around in the C/C++ code, even though at the time I didn't fully understand it all (so I inferred a lot because this type of code isn't so difficult to interpret).

Right now I'm working on brushing up on my Visual C# skills, and I think I'm going to make a simple Buddhist study guide/tool for Windows (sorry Mac/Linux guys). I'm going to try and simplify and reconcile the teachings in a way that can be easily digested, erring on the side of suspended disbelief on subjects that are difficult if not impossible to actually prove or disprove.

I figured I already made the first and only e-mail service for Buddhists; why stop there? I've made progress in practice already, so spending some time creating free services, helping out on several forums, and making a simple program to help people study... well, it just seems right. :) I'm especially hopeful that I can make palatable ideas/concepts in Buddhism that people have trouble with and/or can't bring themselves to believe.

Before I became a Buddhist, one of my dreams was always to be a sci-fi/fantasy author. Failing the motivation/ideas to write a book, I even worked on learning how to create Interactive Fiction games, which is like combining writing a book with programming. It was fun for a while, but I was doing it for my *self*, to be someone; be known, be rich, whatever. Now I can do something for other people, to help them, and that gives me much better motivation! (and for free; might not even add anything except my first name and e-mail address to the "about" portion of the program)

BTW I've done web design myself. I have one site I designed for a Non-Profit Organization that they even still use long after I left that job. ;) I'm sure you're much, much better at it than I am. I'd never call myself a "web designer", I'd merely say "I know how to do some stuff, yeah".

Ah yes, the days of MUDs. Those were fun, I found they took a while before really getting the hang of playing them.
    That sounds great, I've been doing a few non-profit sites myself. I can relate with the 'title' one is given in relation to computer work, I'm sometimes referred to as a "web programmer" or "developer" by clients, but I leer away from it when I can since the extent of my developing is in the Wordpress framework & basic PHP. C++ is beyond me!

I've been blogging, designing, 'wordpressing', and SEO work. I've started feeling differently about the general content on the internet lately. The information published is in such excess that it dilutes worthy readings / articles, and much of it is republished articles and money-oriented. In fact, every time a popular web service has a temporary outage, there's many new blog posts / twitter messages that spring up about it. That's what I like about sites like http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ and http://a.aaaarg.org/, their intentions are sound and provides unique info. This is why I like to volunteer time as much as possible to non-profit websites and informational sites. So if you want a GUI for the Buddhist study tool, you know who to contact :winkc:
  • edited April 2010
    Well, it being "Visual" C#, the GUI and its functioning is the easiest part, but thanks for the offer. :) BTW what is this Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggg thing? I went there and it just wanted login info, didn't have any info on what it *is*.
  • edited April 2010
    Ah sorry, forgot you needed to login to have access. AAAAARG is a collection of free sociology and philosophical essays / articles for download that has a huggeee amount of essays. There's also Ubuweb, which has a large database of audio data (poetry, experimentalist / improv / avant-garde music, interviews, podcasts, etc)
  • edited April 2010
    so a bodhisattva walked into a bar and saw a sentient being.... "oh hey there sentient being no. 567932098, haven't seen you since beginningless time.... how are you?" he said. so the sentient being replied, "sentient"
    how many buddhas does it take to get across the road?
    that depends- how many sentient beings are on the other side?