Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Morality and Buddhism? (sex, drugs, etc.)

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
What would Buddhism say about actions like sex or taking drugs?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well I think at the beginning of the path you have very little conviction of the teachings in some sense. But in some sense you have a burning desire to be free from suffering. Even the sex and drugs is because of this but due to ignorance you don't realize that sex and drugs will not help you escape suffering and will not help you to liberate your loved ones.

At this stage start a meditation practice and just be mindful ALSO when you are doing drugs and having sex. Already at the beginning you have that longing. At the beginning of the path. You have a chance to stay open to your experiences of the sex and drugs to see them clearly and develope a sensitive response.

Later in the path you try to use sex and drugs not too much that it hurt your awakening. (that is also the sensitive response). On your hangover don't beat self up. That illusory self won't make it with you to nirvana so why disturb yourself additionally? Just make wishes to renounce things in the future that harm the stability of your consciousness and create bad karma.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Drugs are always a big no-no in Buddhism.

Sex is allowed for laity, but without violence, manipulation and deceit. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha gave guidelines to be a base for all codes of ethics and morality in the 8 fold path.

Right mind, right actions, etc....
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    For me, the gist is to engage in reality with honesty as best you can, which taking drugs often distorts. 'Drugs' is such a big word though... but if you can see the distortion that occurs when you drink or smoke pot, going from there you might be able to understand the reasoning and position.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My answer is from the perspective of the accumulation step (1st step) on the path. First we are accumulating what we need to become enlightened. And discovering what is not needed such as drugs and sex.

The 8 fold path probably doesn't come till the 3rd step of the path has already occured. When you actually see the wisdom nature to the universes(s) in your meditation. This is when you see that there is no self nature and so anger and desire can no longer find anywhere to grip.

Still when you hit your thumb with a hammer you will attach to a suffering I. God damnit. Pardon my french. This is the 4th meditation phase of the path when your overcoming the subtle residues of habits.
  • edited April 2010
    Magic mushrooms and marijuana aren't drugs, so I would say those are fine. They grow naturally in nature. The harmful drugs are the ones that are manipulated, a manipulation of nature.

Sex is also natural. Sexual misconduct is not, however.
    edited April 2010
    Magic mushrooms and marijuana aren't drugs, so I would say those are fine. They grow naturally in nature. The harmful drugs are the ones that are manipulated, a manipulation of nature.

Sex is also natural. Sexual misconduct is not, however.

There are plenty of things that grow naturally that are toxic for the mind and body. If one chooses to smoke or use mushrooms, that is there choice but the fact remains, these substances alter your frame of mind and that would fit into the definition of a drug. In other words, they are drugs because they are substances that are ingested that alter your physiological chemistry
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Even food and water affect the mind. It remains for you to see what is conducive for your awakening. As laypersons. From my standpoint I look to whether I am remembering my wishes that self and others be free from suffering.. If I forgot all about that and am lost in patterns or drives... well..:rolleyes:

But don't just get lip service to those vows. Make sure they speak to you.
  • edited April 2010
    There are plenty of things that grow naturally that are toxic for the mind and body.

True, but shrooms and marijuana aren't one of them. Also, peanut butter is toxic to some and good for others.

If one chooses to smoke or use mushrooms, that is there choice but the fact remains, these substances alter your frame of mind and that would fit into the definition of a drug.

Aspirin and zirtec don't alter the mind, yet they are drugs.
    In other words, they are drugs because they are substances that are ingested that alter your physiological chemistry

So would that include poisonous mushrooms and poison ivy?
    edited April 2010
    True, but shrooms and marijuana aren't one of them. Also, peanut butter is toxic to some and good for others.

You proved my point here

Aspirin and zirtec don't alter the mind, yet they are drugs.

I didn't define a drug simply as mind altering, if you read my definition, I said it is a substance that alters one's physiological chemistry, that is the broadest definition of a drug. Marijuana and certain mushrooms fit in with this definition.

So would that include poisonous mushrooms and poison ivy?

If you ingested poison ivy for the chemical alterations it would produce, then yes it would be a drug.

Back to the original point, morality is subjective but in my opinion shrooms and weed cloud the mind.
    edited April 2010
    From a Buddhist perspective (which is what the OP refers to), the intake of recreational drugs (the OP didn't seem to be addressing medicine) is wrong. Why? Because in Buddhism we are supposed to see reality as it is, and substances that alter your consciousness go against this goal.

The intoxicants don't refer only to the heavy drugs, or to mushrooms et al, but the precept seems to include even alcohol.
    edited April 2010
    From a Buddhist perspective (which is what the OP refers to), the intake of recreational drugs (the OP didn't seem to be addressing medicine) is wrong. Why? Because in Buddhism we are supposed to see reality as it is, and substances that alter your consciousness go against this goal.

The intoxicants don't refer only to the heavy drugs, or to mushrooms et al, but the precept seems to include even alcohol.

Without sounding dogmatic I agree with you. I look to the Buddha's advice as it is, advice for a happier existence not a hard fast rule.
    edited April 2010
    I would just like to add that it is also important to notice how your behavior will affect others.

Let's suppose I do take intoxicants. How will that affect the other people around me? My parents, my kids, the people that look up to me. What about the people that are looking for a form of escapism and that see me doing drugs?

Are mushrooms that innocent if I take in consideration what my usage of them is gonna do to other people?
  • edited April 2010
    I would just like to add that it is also important to notice how your behavior will affect others.

Let's suppose I do take intoxicants. How will that affect the other people around me? My parents, my kids, the people that look up to me. What about the people that are looking for a form of escapism and that see me doing drugs?

Are mushrooms that innocent if I take in consideration what my usage of them is gonna do to other people?

Your use of mushrooms shouldn't have an effect on anybody but yourself. If others take it negatively, that is because of they're own preconceived notions of what shrooms are. Simply being a Buddhist can have extreme negative impacts on others as well (like a fundamentalist family will be appalled if their child turns Buddhist) , but that doesn't negate Buddhism.
    edited April 2010
    Your use of mushrooms shouldn't have an effect on anybody but yourself. If others take it negatively, that is because of they're own preconceived notions of what shrooms are.

We are all connected. I think it is hard to think of something that affects just myself. :-)

If they suffer because of it, and considering mushrooms are a rather unimportant fact of life, couldn't I just stop using them instead?
    edited April 2010
    Everything we do has an affect on others. True, we cannot control how someone responds to our actions, but we can control how we interact with others.

Here is a possible negative affect mushrooms can have on others. Let's say I am innocently using them, my roommate is in the kitchen eating a steak. He chokes on the steak and stumbles into my room so seeking help. Me being in a selfish mindset that mushrooms inevitibly induce, I do not realize how to administer help to my roommate or that he even needs my help. He ends up choking to death. Would this not effect and affect him by my use of mushrooms?
  • edited April 2010
    We are all connected. I think it is hard to think of something that affects just myself. :-)

That's the great paradox. In Samsara we are separate (even if it is delusion), but fundentally, we are all One.
    If they suffer because of it, and considering mushrooms are a rather unimportant fact of life, couldn't I just stop using them instead?

This is dodging the issue. Should you stop doing something you think is good because others think it's bad? Like my Buddhism analogy. Should a child of a fundamentalist family abondon Buddhism because it negatively impacts his family?
  • edited April 2010
    Everything we do has an affect on others. True, we cannot control how someone responds to our actions, but we can control how we interact with others.

Here is a possible negative affect mushrooms can have on others. Let's say I am innocently using them, my roommate is in the kitchen eating a steak. He chokes on the steak and stumbles into my room so seeking help. Me being in a selfish mindset that mushrooms inevitibly induce, I do not realize how to administer help to my roommate or that he even needs my help. He ends up choking to death. Would this not effect and affect him by my use of mushrooms?

You could also be at the grocery store while your roommate chokes on a steak, and thus not be there to help. Should you stop grocery shopping too?

Or you could also be sleeping while he chokes. Again, your analogy doesn't work.
    edited April 2010
    You could also be at the grocery store while your roommate chokes on a steak, and this not be there to help. Should you stop grocery shopping too?

Just like superman, we cannot be everywhere at once but we can do everything possible to help others. Mushrooms inhibit extra-corporeal experiences and cause a hyper-self centered mindset. This mindset can be a danger to oneself and to others (as I exemplified above). My biggest aversion to such substances, now in my life, is that they make me less aware or delusionally aware of others, plain and simple.

edit>>>I rock climb a lot and a friend was high on marijuana when he was belaying a friend. He got distracted and let the friend fall to the ground. He probably would not have been so distracted if he were sober and that friend wouldn't have broken his legs.
    edited April 2010
    Should you stop doing something you think is good because others think it's bad?

Sometimes, yes.
    Should a child of a fundamentalist family abondon Buddhism because it negatively impacts his family?

Honey you don't need an analogy, let's put it in a straight manner: Should a junkie abandon drugs because it negatively impacts his family, the way other people see him, clouds his judgment, wastes his time and money, and becomes a form of escapism? Now this is a question that addresses the issue. :P
  • edited April 2010
    Just like superman, we cannot be everywhere at once but we can do everything possible to help others. Mushrooms inhibit extra-corporeal experiences and cause a hyper-self centered mindset. This mindset can be a danger to oneself and to others (as I exemplified above). My biggest aversion to such substances, now in my life, is that they make me less aware or delusionally aware of others, plain and simple.

edit>>>I rock climb a lot and a friend was high on marijuana when he was belaying a friend. He got distracted and let the firend fall to the ground.

Yes, but if you allocate some time for yourself to do shrooms, just like you would to meditate, there should be no different of an effect on others.

The only valid criticism of shrooms that I've seen is that they delude the mind, a huge no-no in Buddhism. However, that isn't proven and some say they can temporarily see things clearer or get a quick glimpse of the fabric of reality. I personally, might be inclined to think they are a delusion, but I would keep an open mind on the matter.

Regarding what you said about the rock climbing incident, that's just an example of misuse of marijuana.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think you guys may have missed that we are all not at the place where we realize what is helping us to become free from samsara. I know that some people can just see it as part of buddha's teaching. But a lot of us have to learn the hard way :mad::crazy: Oh well. And that is why I emphasize mindfulness moreso than butting heads over 'what is a karmic sin'. We can butt heads all week. And I guess it has some value? So mushrooms and weed. Liquor and sex. Acting with a twist and claiming victory on injured limbs. The list goes on and on.. We gotta learn some of this the hard way for some of us.
    edited April 2010
    However, that isn't proven

What?! Dude, everybody knows they are hallucinogenic. If you wanna defend them try another line of reasoning. please. x-)
  • edited April 2010
    Sometimes, yes.

That would be abondoning your ideals though.
    Honey you don't need an analogy, let's put it in a straight manner: Should a junkie abandon drugs because it negatively impacts his family, the way other people see him, clouds his judgment, wastes his time and money, and becomes a form of escapism? Now this is a question that addresses the issue. :P

Sure, but there must be a distinction between different drugs. It's not all black and white as medicinal drugs and bad drugs. It's wrong to group shrooms with heroine. Shrooms are non-addictive, non-toxic. Shrooms are less toxic than aspirin. So when you stop using medicinal drugs altogether, then we can talk about the negative effects of mushrooms.

Also, there's a difference between a junkie, and someone does a shroom cap once a year.
    edited April 2010
    Then we agree, marijuana can be misused and one's use of it can potentially be dangerous to others.

As for setting time aside to use these substances, that is your own call, I am of the opinion that there is alot of unnecessary stigma especially associated with weed, but I for one have no desire to experience the delusions it creates in my mind.
  • edited April 2010
    What?! Dude, everybody knows they are hallucinogenic. If you wanna defend them try another line of reasoning. please. x-)

Ad populum fallacy.

They are classified as such yes, but it's not proven that they invoke delusion. Only that it alters the mind.

Wise comedian, Bill Hicks, came to the realization of some fundamental truths of reality (akin to Buddhist ideas of reality) because of psychadellics.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I walk into a room and see a person punching himself in the eye over and over! I approach him and say "Why are you doing that?"
    "Because I want sensation in my eyes," he says.
    "Oh? You may have sensation that way, but can you focus on anything past the swelling? Would you rather see?"
    If he says that he'd rather see, I might suggest some meditation time rather than mushrooms.

I have done mushrooms and LSD and marijuana in the past. From my observation of those, I can say that for me, the ability to accurately see is tremendously diminished while intoxicated. I will say that there is the equivalent of sensation in the space you may hint toward, but without an understanding of the formlessness that makes viewing the non-conceptual stable. Maybe like jumping into a pool without limbs?

In your rejection of other's offerings to you, it appears that you're intent on defending a view that these substances are a benefit? The choking man analogy seems especially well targeted. Its not about where you are, its about your ability to help what is in front of you. Right now. There to your right!

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010

Here is Buddha's advice to a lay practitioner. (present day Buddhist teachers will tell you that 'intoxicants' means recreational drugs as well as alcohol)

It's from the Pali Canon - DN 31

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• edited April 2010
    Then we agree, marijuana can be misused and one's use of it can potentially be dangerous to others.

As for setting time aside to use these substances, that is your own call, I am of the opinion that there is alot of unnecessary stigma especially associated with weed, but I for one have no desire to experience the delusions it creates in my mind.

You are basically condemning Native American and African shaman spirituality as just delusion.

Are the Native Americans all delusional because they use Peyote?
    edited April 2010
    You are basically condemning Native American and African shaman spirituality as just delusion.

Honey, we are buddhists, not shamans. Whatever they do it's fine, but it is not the same path.
    edited April 2010

I am in no way condeming or saying anything of the kind. I know very little of either of them and if they use intoxicants for their spirituality that is up to them, I don't know what they are trying to achieve. What I said is that I am not interested in the delusions marijuana and mushrooms stimulate in my own mind, after all, that is all I know.
    edited April 2010
    There is no point in being buddhist and using drugs. That shows no commitment, unless you are trying to quit. It's like saying you are on a diet and eating chocolate cake everyday.
    edited April 2010
    There is no point in being buddhist and using drugs. That shows no commitment, unless you are trying to quit. It's like saying you are on a diet and eating chocolate cake everyday.

:lol: That is the best simile I have heard all day. Excellent point.
  • edited April 2010

Isn't the correct wording not to take "intoxicants"? If so, mushrooms are non-toxic, and you ought to stop taking aspirin because it is a toxin.

The avoidence of drugs depends on how you define drugs. If you don't consider something to be a drug, then you are not defying any teachings.

I might add that, since becoming a Buddhist, I haven't taken any recreational drugs, but I have done marijuana four times throughout my life and had one tiny shroom cap that had zero affect.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If you don't define a baseball bat you can still be beat over the head with it. My lama allows occasional drinks. And probably extend to a shroom. Whats important is what YOU have realized. The vow is just to help you have willpower after you realize it is harming you. Before it would be good too. But we don't all listen before.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010

QFT
    edited April 2010
    Trans,

You offer no definition of what is a drug so until you do, we will have to use the general definition that I provided earlier. Either way, it is just semantics, how I understand what the Buddha was teaching with the 8 fold path, especially with intoxicants, is to avoid things that create delusions and suffering. I will not pretend to know what is good for anyone other than myself but I can share my experiences and these experiences have taught me that marijuana and mushrooms only inhibit the mind from functioning in reality.
    edited April 2010
    Isn't the correct wording not to take "intoxicants"? If so, mushrooms are non-toxic, and you ought to stop taking aspirin because it is a toxin.

The avoidence of drugs depends on how you define drugs. If you don't consider something to be a drug, then you are not defying any teachings.

I might add that, since becoming a Buddhist, I haven't taken any recreational drugs, but I have done marijuana four times throughout my life and had one tiny shroom cap that had zero affect.

If you want to justify your beliefs that certain drugs are ok in accordance to Buddhism due to being pedantic about vocabulary then you justify all you want.

But please don't expect the majority here to agree. The Buddha was clear on intoxicants and their use. You say it depends on how you define drugs - I go by the guidelines released by the authorities. Shrooms fall under that. And I might hazard a guess that you've only had ONE experience with shrooms - a tiny one in your words. But then again I'm only speaking from the experience of my mother having been a drug counsellor, so I probably don't know much. I also abstain from recreational drugs so once again, you would regard me as not knowing much in that regard.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Its not just a drug its a strong habitual behaviour. Just a thought.
  • edited April 2010
    I define "drug" as something that is both harmful and a manipulation of nature. If it grows from the earth, it's not a drug to me. Even if it's harmful to a human (poison ivy is not a drug to me.)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I don't see processed and unprocessed as more or less natural to me.

'nature' is used to pack people off to yellowstone park. If you get eaten by a bear :D You see my point?
    edited April 2010
    I define "drug" as something that is both harmful and a manipulation of nature. If it grows from the earth, it's not a drug to me. Even if it's harmful to a human (poison ivy is not a drug to me.)

I respect your opinion of the definition of what constitutes a drug. I don't agree with it. So I will agree to strongly disagree with you.

Respectfully,
    Raven
    edited April 2010

I think it is a rather weak definition. Cocaine is grown from the Earth and it is just prepared not chemically changed. Sure crytal meth is man made I will even give you herion (although that is grown naturally from the poppy plant). If you smoke marijuana flower buds, are you not manipulating nature. They are not naturally meant to be smoked. So according to your definition marijuana can be justified as a drug.

I think we are getting distracted from the OP. I will leave my initial reaction to your definition as I liked it, but I will have to retire from this conversation for now. Going to go hiking with the dogs.
  • edited April 2010
    I respect your opinion of the definition of what constitutes a drug. I don't agree with it. So I will agree to strongly disagree with you.

Respectfully,
    Raven

What do you think constitutes as a drug then? Whatever is the popular belief, the claim made by authority?

If I had one thing to say, is that people who have a common preconceived notion of a harmful substance need not look to marijuana and mushrooms and instead look to what people accept, such as MSG in food, flouride in drinking water, aspartame in diet products, prescription drugs that can severly damage you.

I have extreme distaste for those who reject things merely on notions of taboo and acceptable in society, when in fact, things that are accepted happen to be more harmful than the things they object to. (Not directed at you or anyone in particular, just a general statement.)
  • edited April 2010
    I think it is a rather weak definition. Cocaine is grown from the Earth and it is just prepared not chemically changed. Sure crytal meth is man made I will even give you herion (although that is grown naturally from the poppy plant). If you smoke marijuana flower buds, are you not manipulating nature. They are not naturally meant to be smoked. So according to your definition marijuana can be justified as a drug.

I think we are getting distracted from the OP. I will leave my initial reaction to your definition as I liked it, but I will have to retire from this conversation for now. Going to go hiking with the dogs.

Thank you for providing a sound counter argument, I applaud you. I may have to rethink some things over again.
    edited April 2010
    I think seeing my cousin now a depressed and confused shell of himself after years of abusing the "herb" that is marijuana, my former best friend a walking skeleton after becoming hooked on ice who cares for nothing, not even her son but her next hit, seeing a friend when I was 14 overdose and die from taking a cocktail of drugs, seeing my best friend almost killed because she played chicken on a freeway after taking shrooms.... That is what I use to decide what constitutes as a drug. I also cross referenced what I witnessed with what the "authorities" showed. In Australia our drug authority is CEIDA and they give you all the facts, how long a drug remains in the body, what it affects, what it's make up is. It's not just lip service to brainwash the masses.

As for aspartame, I make an active effort to avoid ingesting it, I avoid prescription drugs at all costs, I never eat anything with MSG in it. So I try very hard to practise what I (or in this case, you) preach.

As for who your distaste is aimed at, even if it was aimed at me, it would not change my feelings one bit, nor would it adversely affect me. But I appreciate your clarification all the same.

Respectfully,
    Raven
    What do you think constitutes as a drug then? Whatever is the popular belief, the claim made by authority?

If I had one thing to say, is that people who have a common preconceived notion of a harmful substance need not look to marijuana and mushrooms and instead look to what people accept, such as MSG in food, flouride in drinking water, aspartame in diet products, prescription drugs that can severly damage you.

I have extreme distaste for those who reject things merely on notions of taboo and acceptable in society, when in fact, things that are accepted happen to be more harmful than the things they object to. (Not directed at you or anyone in particular, just a general statement.)
  • edited April 2010
    I think seeing my cousin now a depressed and confused shell of himself after years of abusing the "herb" that is marijuana, my former best friend a walking skeleton after becoming hooked on ice who cares for nothing, not even her son but her next hit, seeing a friend when I was 14 overdose and die from taking a cocktail of drugs, seeing my best friend almost killed because she played chicken on a freeway after taking shrooms.... That is what I use to decide what constitutes as a drug. I also cross referenced what I witnessed with what the "authorities" showed. In Australia our drug authority is CEIDA and they give you all the facts, how long a drug remains in the body, what it affects, what it's make up is. It's not just lip service to brainwash the masses.

As for aspartame, I make an active effort to avoid ingesting it, I avoid prescription drugs at all costs, I never eat anything with MSG in it. So I try very hard to practise what I (or in this case, you) preach.

As for who your distaste is aimed at, even if it was aimed at me, it would not change my feelings one bit, nor would it adversely affect me. But I appreciate your clarification all the same.

Respectfully,
    Raven

Clearly you have demonstrated that you know from experience. But just as a sidenote, someone died because they drank too much water. It just goes to show that things can be good or bad, depending on how you use it.

edited April 2010
    Experience combined with facts. But as I stated before, we agree to disagree.

Respectfully,
    Raven
    Clearly you have demonstrated that you know from experience. But just as a sidenote, someone died because they drank too much water. It just goes to show that things can be good or bad, depending on how you use it.
  • edited April 2010
    tim45174 wrote: »
    What would Buddhism say about actions like sex or taking drugs?

In my understanding The buddha advised to practice refraining from actions like sexual misconduct and taking drugs becuase they are disturbing to peace of mind. Also they cloud our ability to see things as they really are as pointed out by Nameless river and amatt. They are not a sin or something wrong but a common misunderstanding that they will lead to happiness. And if you look into your experiences mindfully as Jeffery suggests you may find the happiness and pleasure they bring are unreliable and unsustainable and hard to pin down once you shine some light on the matter.

However beyond the topic of actions it is important to consider ones mental attitude towards sex and drugs. The buddha also taught to consider the effects of attachement/craving, aversion and indifference to any subject.
    One reason is these get in the way of our ability to be kind to one another and ourselves. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    A practising Buddhist does not take mind altering drugs in any shape or form.

A practising Buddhist takes refuge in ordinary mind.

:)