Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

after nirvana

edited August 2010 in Philosophy
what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist

Comments

• edited April 2010
    im still confused what is the answer
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If anyone has ceased to exist, they haven't mentioned it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    After Nirvana? Why, the washing up.

• edited April 2010
    bill wrote: »
    Who said you cease to exist?
    Do you exist now?
    If so, how do you exist?
    Which part of you is it that does the existing?
    Which part of "you" would do the ceasing?
    What part of you experiences before and after?
  • edited April 2010
    what happens when you reach nirvana

Pizza?
  • edited April 2010
    I think bill's question "what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist" has the underlying thought "If we are reborn again and again (living infinite lives), and Nirvana is the end of rebirth, does it mean we die permanently?".

I can't speak to what I think of as speculative, and my answer of no answer was apparently confusing. ;) If anyone else can answer this in a way which alleviates his fears, go for it.
  • edited April 2010
    Pizza?
    73 virgins
  • edited April 2010
    73 virgins
    Lasting peace with the Cylons.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010

I don't know about you, but I think it's a little too soon for me to be worrying about this.:lol:
  • edited April 2010

But there is no "you" to stop existing.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Nirvana is ceasing to exist whilst being alive.

The mind realises all there is is nature (rather than "me", "you", "mine", "ours", "yours", etc).

Body, breathing, consciousness, feeling, mental function, love, intelligence simply function naturally.

Breathe and be happy.

:)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha didn't answer what happened to enlightened people after they die. (or at least what would happen to him after he died.)
    edited April 2010
    "Nagarjuna expressed this understanding in the nirvana chapter of his Mulamadhyamakakarika: "It is not assumed that the Blessed One exists after death. Neither is it assumed that he does not exist, or both, or neither. It is not assumed that even a living Blessed One exists. Neither is it assumed that he does not exist, or both, or neither."<sup id="cite_ref-Anderson_5-3" class="reference"></sup><sup class="reference" style="white-space: nowrap;">:230"

Now pick the bones out of that!
    </sup>
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    the historical buddha attained his nirvana ( awakened / enlightenment / buddhahood ) at the age of 30+ in ancient india , after that he walk into the masses and preach the truth ( Dharma ) and lead them into the various Dharma gates .
    at the age of 80+ he entered para-nirvana , where is enlightened physical body no more , but his enlightened spirtual / wisdom aspect and the enlightened principle continue to endure till today - so that you could ask this question , and if you follow his teaching / wisdom you will certain to testify the fruits yourself .
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited May 2010
    im sure that "by exist" he means existing consciousness
  • edited May 2010
    Those who know do not speak
    Those who speak do not know
    Since I have spoken I do not know
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This is a wrong question, because there is no 'you' in or apart from the five skandhas that truly exist in the first place that can 'persist' or 'cease'. It's like asking when you grow up, will santa claus cease? Not exactly, as santa claus never truly existed to begin with, but when you grow up you realise that it is a false belief. Hence existence, non-existence, etc cannot be applied, as 'self' is only a word, a convention applied to the five aggregates that is changing moment to moment arising due to various conditions, it does not refer to a truly self-existing and permanent entity. This is the teaching of anatta, no-self, and it is insight into this that leads to freedom/liberation. What ceases then is not 'you', but the false belief in self, the ignorance, the resulting sufferings.

When nirvana is attained, there is no more future births. Why? Because there is no more conditions, no more ignorance to fuel samsaric births. There is a difference between no more births, and no more 'you'. (Mahayana Buddhism however, in contrast to Theravada Buddhism, suggests that the mindstreams of Bodhisattvas and Bodhisattvas continuously appear in samsara for the benefit of sentient beings, to guide them to awakening)

Please read:

Does the Buddha Exist After His Death?
    The question: 'Does the Buddha exist after His death or not', is not a new question. The same question was put to the Buddha during His lifetime.
    When a group of ascetics came and asked the same question from certain disciples of the Buddha, they could not get a satisfactory answer from them. Anuradha, a disciple, approached the Buddha and reported to Him about their conversation. Considering the understanding capacity of the questioners, the Buddha usually observed silence at such questions. However in this instance, the Buddha explained to Anuradha in the following manner:
    'O Anuradha, what do you think, is the form (Rupa) permanent or impermanent?' 'Impermanent, Sir.' 'Is that which is impermanent, painful or pleasant?'
    'Painful, Sir.'
    'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as: 'This is mine; this is I, this is my soul or permanent substance?' 'It is not proper, Sir.' 'Is feeling permanent or impermanent?' 'Impermanent, Sir.' 'Is that which is impermanent, painful or pleasant?'
    'Painful, Sir.' 'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as 'This is mine, this is I, this is my soul'?' 'It is not proper, Sir.' 'Are perfection, formative tendencies and consciousness, permanent or impermanent?'
    'Impermanent, Sir.' 'Is that which is impermanent, painful or pleasant?'
    'Painful, Sir.' 'Is it proper to regard that which is impermanent, painful and subject to change as: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my soul?'?'
    'It is not proper, Sir.' 'Therefore whatever form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies, consciousness which have been, will be and is now connected with oneself, or with others, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near; all forms, feelings, perceptions, formative tendencies and consciousness should be considered by right knowledge in this way: 'This is not mine; this not I; this is not my soul.' Having seen thus, a noble, learned disciple becomes disenchanted with the form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies and consciousness. Becoming disenchanted, he controls his passion and subsequently discards them.' 'Being free from passion he becomes emancipated and insight arises in him: 'I am emancipated.' He realizes: 'Birth is destroyed, I have lived the holy life and done what had to be done. There is no more birth for me.' 'What do you think, Anuradha, do you regard the form as a Tathagata?' 'No, Sir.'
    'O Anuradha, what is your view, do you see a Tathagata in the form?' 'No, Sir.' 'Do you see a Tathagata apart from form?' 'No, Sir.' 'Do you see a Tathagata in feeling, perception, formative tendencies, consciousness?'
    'No, Sir.' 'O Anuradha, what do you think, do you regard that which is without form, feeling, perception, formative tendencies and consciousness as a Tathagata?' 'No, Sir.' 'Now, Anuradha, since a Tathagata is not to be found in this very life, is it proper for you to say: 'This noble and supreme one has pointed out and explained these four propositions:
    A Tathagata exists after death; A Tathagata does not exist after death; A Tathagata exists and yet does not exist after death; A Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death?'
    'No, Sir.'
    'Well and good, Anuradha. Formerly and now also I expound and point out only the truth of Suffering and cessation of Suffering.' (Anuradha Sutta - Samyutta Nikaya.) The above dialogue between the Buddha and Anuradha may not be satisfactory to many, since it does not satisfy the inquiring mind of the people. Truth is such that it does not give satisfaction to the emotion and intellect. Truth happens to be the most difficult thing for man to comprehend. It can only be fully comprehended by Insight. Buddhahood is nothing but the embodiment of all the great virtues and supreme enlightenment. That is why Buddhas who could enlighten others are very rare in this world.
  • edited May 2010
    bill wrote:
    what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist <!-- / close content container --><!-- open content container -->

The Buddha said :
    "So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me?

'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'...

'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

MN 63 : Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta

More of the sutta here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    I think bill's question "what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist" has the underlying thought "If we are reborn again and again (living infinite lives), and ....

No, it has the underlying thought that there is a self which lives and dies. The Buddha taught not-self thus the question "where will I go after I die" does not apply because the question itself has self identification in it.
    "But, Master Gotama, the monk whose mind is thus released: Where does he reappear?"

"'Reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"In that case, Master Gotama, he does not reappear."

"'Does not reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"...both does & does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"...neither does nor does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta
  • edited May 2010
    A truly absolutely perfect circle cannot physically exist. Yet in its non-existence, it determines what is or is not more round. It is the standard that determines perfection.

If one were carefully forming a disc, perhaps a plate, more perfectly round each day, each day it would become closer to perfection and the greatness thereof, yet the day it attained perfection, it could no longer exist.

Such is the way of the perfect spirit, the "Wholy Spirit". The most perfect spirit cannot physically exist and yet determines what is more perfect from less. The perfect spirit is always perfecting itself and thus each day coming closer to greatness and the non-existable state of absolute perfection.

To ascend to absolute perfection is to die in physical form and be born as the standard of perfect life, Tat-ha-gata.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Drop wrote: »

Such is the way of the perfect spirit, the "Wholy Spirit". The most perfect spirit cannot physically exist a ...

... die in physical form and be born as the standard of perfect life...

:eek2:
  • edited May 2010
    I might add as it is important to keep in mind that it is irrelevant as to whether a Wholy Spirit exists. The Buddhist must strive to become it anyway. When one seeks the North star, it is not to obtain it but to obtain the state of being more North.
  • edited May 2010
    I might add as it is important to keep in mind that it is irrelevant as to whether a Wholy Spirit exists. The Buddhist must strive to become it anyway. When one seeks the North star, it is not to obtain it but to obtain the state of being more North.

:confused:

• edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    :eek2:
    Dazzle wrote: »
    :confused:

You guys are so amazingly explicative. :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    This is a wrong question, because there is no 'you' in or apart from the five skandhas that truly exist in the first place that can 'persist' or 'cease'.
    At a most basic level, a human being has a body with senses. In Buddhism, I assume it means a body that incorporates a relationship to the five aggregates (presumably skandhas for you). Is this the ‘you’ that you are referring to? If not please define what is this ‘you’.
    Regardless of your definition my next question will similarly apply. Does this ‘you’ (which henceforth I will define as P) actually exist prior to death and on death? According to basic laws of logic (non contradiction), P cannot both exist and not exist at the same time and in the same sense.
    It's like asking when you grow up, will santa claus cease? Not exactly, as santa claus never truly existed to begin with, but when you grow up you realise that it is a false belief.
    I am a bit confused with the Santa example. In the law of identity (P is identical to P), P does not share the same identity as Santa. Whether Santa exist is irrelevant to P’s existence or P’s view of its own existence i.e. there is no causal linkage.
    Conversely, Santa’s existence – a fictional object, is not dependent on P’s belief. Can you please clarify what were you attempting to distinguish.
    Hence existence, non-existence, etc cannot be applied, as 'self' is only a word, a convention applied to the five aggregates that is changing moment to moment arising due to various conditions, it does not refer to a truly self-existing and permanent entity. This is the teaching of anatta, no-self, and it is insight into this that leads to freedom/liberation. What ceases then is not 'you', but the false belief in self, the ignorance, the resulting sufferings.
    Is ‘you’ and ‘self’ that you have referred to the same entity? Seems to me you are referring to ’self’ as an abstract object like proposition. Abstract objects have unique properties that are distinct from say a human being. According to Plato, they are immaterial, timeless and spaceless and therefore senseless to ask where or when they exist. I have a lot more questions but I can’t shape them until I have a clearer view of what you are discussing.
  • edited May 2010
    Brumby wrote: »
    At a most basic level, a human being has a body with senses. In Buddhism, I assume it means a body that incorporates a relationship to the five aggregates (presumably skandhas for you). Is this the ‘you’ that you are referring to? If not please define what is this ‘you’.
    Regardless of your definition my next question will similarly apply. Does this ‘you’ (which henceforth I will define as P) actually exist prior to death and on death? According to basic laws of logic (non contradiction), P cannot both exist and not exist at the same time and in the same sense.
    As much as I love Logic, it is founded on an assumption of declared identity. As one learns of oneself, one redefines the boundaries of himself and thus redefines what his self actually is. Due to such redeclaring, the logic law of identity is only useful for short moments of consistent understanding. But how does one have consistent understanding of what one has yet to comprehend?

Logic and reality allow for 3 states of being;

1) What is [white]
    2) What is not [black]
    3) What neither is nor isn't, but a boundary between; a combination [gray]

All material reality is merely gray. White and Black are only in the realm of the Divine, the perfections.

Once the "self" becomes understood and defined as the perfected spiritual process, Tathagata, it can no longer be of the gray physical and thus can no longer have material existence, yet still affects the material world by its divine existence. So it exists yet does not exist. It is in that third category of what both is and also is not depending on the perspective of your understanding.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2010
    First of all, the five skandhas (aggregates) are: form, feelings, perceptions, volition and consciousness.

They are not 'you', however. They are not 'me' or 'mine'. The word 'me' is only a label imposed on the everchanging stream of five skandhas arising dependent on conditions, in the same way the word 'weather' is imputed on an everchanging stream of clouds forming, dissipating, wind, rain, and all other weather conditions. No self-existing permanent and locatable entity or thing called 'weather' can be found in any of the particular patterns, or apart from the patterns. There is just the process. The word 'weather' is just a label but does not point to something inherent, locatable, independent, permanent, etc.

In the same way we use the word 'me' simply as a label and convention for convenience, but in actuality it does not refer to an inherently existing identity. There is no such self in Buddhism. Therefore the teaching of Anatta.

I highly recommend reading this article carefully as it is written from deep experiential insight: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2008/10/what-is-me.html
    I am a bit confused with the Santa example. In the law of identity (P is identical to P), P does not share the same identity as Santa. Whether Santa exist is irrelevant to P’s existence or P’s view of its own existence i.e. there is no causal linkage.
    Conversely, Santa’s existence – a fictional object, is not dependent on P’s belief. Can you please clarify what were you attempting to distinguish.
    The Santa analogy is simply an analogy.

In my case, I am refering the notion of a permanent, separate, self-existing Self as what is false, as false as Santa. That is a fictional object/subject. Yet most of us believe in such a self, and that is why we remain deluded. However when we realised there is no such self, it doesn't mean that the self (e.g. the santa) suddenly disappeared or is annihilated: rather it just means we realise it never was there to begin with.

Realising deeply that there never was such self is liberation.
  • edited May 2010
    They are not 'you', however. They are not 'me' or 'mine'. The word 'me' is only a label imposed on the everchanging stream of five skandhas arising dependent on conditions, in the same way the word 'weather' is imputed on an everchanging stream of clouds forming, dissipating, wind, rain, and all other weather conditions. No self-existing permanent and locatable entity or thing called 'weather' can be found in any of the particular patterns, or apart from the patterns. There is just the process. The word 'weather' is just a label but does not point to something inherent, locatable, independent, permanent, etc.
    In the same way we use the word 'me' simply as a label and convention for convenience, but in actuality it does not refer to an inherently existing identity. There is no such self in Buddhism.
    The term ‘weather’ as a proposition is an abstract object – this I can understand. However an individual human being is not an abstract object. There is a human face behind the ‘me’ and ‘you’ which is an intrinsic enduring ego that persists through life with all the experiences and cognitions owned by a unitary subject. This has intuitive truth value. If I understand your analogy of the weather correctly, you are suggesting that ‘me’ is not a self-existing permanent and locatable entity. In other words ‘me’ has just disappeared from the earth. I don’t think this is what you mean – something is missing.
    <O:p</O:p
    However in a state of nirvana, I understand that in Buddhism the individual is in a permanent non-self existing but locatable state. Please correct if I am wrong. Putting this is context you were answering a poster on “what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist” I think before answering there is a need to distinguish between exist and existence. When we come into being, we exist and have existence. When we come out of being we existed and have no existence. In contrast, Spiderman as a fictional character, exist but have no existence. In the case of an enlightened being, what can transcend death when there is no self?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    The term ‘weather’ as a proposition is an abstract object – this I can understand. However an individual human being is not an abstract object.
    I think it could be argued that actually t is....
    {i]There is a human face behind the ‘me’ and ‘you’ which is an intrinsic enduring ego[/I]
    These are feelings and perceptions.
    that persists through life with all the experiences and cognitions owned by a unitary subject.
    no because it never stays the same, it is in a constant state of change, alteration, flux and modification. there is no permanent human face behind 'me' or 'you'. There is no permanent face in front of 'me' and 'you', either. Your face changes, does it not? So this 'behind' human face changes also. It's not a constant.
    This has intuitive truth value. If I understand your analogy of the weather correctly, you are suggesting that ‘me’ is not a self-existing permanent and locatable entity. In other words ‘me’ has just disappeared from the earth. I don’t think this is what you mean – something is missing.
    No, this is exactly what he means. Nothing is missing.
    However in a state of nirvana, I understand that in Buddhism the individual is in a permanent non-self existing but locatable state
    No. This has already been explained elsewhere. Nirvana is not in any locatable state.
    Please correct if I am wrong. Putting this is context you were answering a poster on “what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist” I think before answering there is a need to distinguish between exist and existence.
    Existence is a verb. Exist is a noun.
    When we come into being, we exist and have existence.
    do we?
    When we come out of being we existed and have no existence.
    That's a moot point....
    In contrast, Spiderman as a fictional character, exist but have no existence.
    No. Spiderman as a fictional character, is present, but does not exist.
    This is semantics again.
    In the case of an enlightened being, what can transcend death when there is no self?
    Who says anything needs to be transcended?
    The Buddha did not transcend death, although he was enlightened.
    He experienced the ceasing of the function of his body. The vessel was no longer required or able to function.....

Why do people seek to complicate matters so much?
    And why does it matter so much anyway?

More ruddy unconjecturables going through the mill...:rolleyes: :-/
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The term ‘weather’ as a proposition is an abstract object – this I can understand.
    Weather is not abstract, it points to something undeniably occuring, but that something is actually not a thing, it is just a process - unlocatable, ungraspable, empty.
    However an individual human being is not an abstract object.
    Human being is not an abstract object -- it is not an object to begin with! It is a process - unlocatable, ungraspable, empty. It is not so much of human being, but rather human becoming. Buddhists understand our existence as verbs.

Sensations are vividly and undeniably present and must be experienced as such and yet a separate experiencer cannot be found - the vividness and non-substantially must be experienced directly otherwise the understanding is merely theoretical.

Just like the weather patterns are vividly and undeniably occuring, yet a solid 'weather entity' cannot be located.

To deny vivid experience and call it non-existent is to become a nihilist, to reify experience into enduring graspable objects/existence is to become an eternalist, Buddha transcended both in his Middle Way teaching which is the teaching of Anatta and Emptiness.
    There is a human face behind the ‘me’ and ‘you’ which is an intrinsic enduring ego that persists through life with all the experiences and cognitions owned by a unitary subject. This has intuitive truth value.
    There is no such thing as an 'ego'! Looking at our direct experience, we cannot find anything called 'ego', what we can experience however are thoughts, feelings, sensations, which we then identify as 'me'. However there are really just thoughts, feelings, sensations, etc.

There may be a particular pattern of thought that repeats due to habit and conditioning, commonly then labeled as 'personality', but then again 'personality' is just like the word 'weather' - sometimes sunshine, sometimes rain, sometimes wind, etc, there is no 'personality' apart from those ever-changing stream of sensations, thoughts, feelings, even though there may be a particular habitual pattern there (just as the so called 'weather' has a pattern). But they are all arising according to conditions, there is no inherent entity there. These conditions are also subject to change.
    If I understand your analogy of the weather correctly, you are suggesting that ‘me’ is not a self-existing permanent and locatable entity. In other words ‘me’ has just disappeared from the earth.
    No! There is no self-existing permanent and locatable 'me' to disappear! Just like Santa Claus hadn't disappeared, because it never had existence to begin with.

Yet feelings, sensations, thoughts, etc continue to occur, just that there is no real self-center to which these are occuring to.

To realise that this has always already been the case (in contrast to 'reaching a state of no self' as that would be delusional, in the same way that 'making santa claus disappear' is still functioning under the delusion that there was one to begin with) is liberation.
    However in a state of nirvana, I understand that in Buddhism the individual is in a permanent non-self existing but locatable state. Please correct if I am wrong.
    Not exactly.

Firstly, our experience right now already has no permanent self, even while we are deluded about that fact. However the waking up to that leads to the end of self-clinging, and hence Nirvana, the cessation of ignorance and suffering.

Secondly, Nirvana is not locatable.

The Buddha gave the following analogy:

http://mettarefuge.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/the-aggi-vacchagotta-sutta-the-buddha-on-the-nature-of-existence-and-nirvana/

“And suppose someone were to ask you, ‘This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?’ Thus asked, how would you reply?”

“That doesn’t apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as ‘out’ (unbound).”

“Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. ‘Reappears’ doesn’t apply. ‘Does not reappear’ doesn’t apply. ‘Both does & does not reappear’ doesn’t apply. ‘Neither reappears nor does not reappear’ doesn’t apply.
    Putting this is context you were answering a poster on “what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist” I think before answering there is a need to distinguish between exist and existence. When we come into being, we exist and have existence. When we come out of being we existed and have no existence. In contrast, Spiderman as a fictional character, exist but have no existence. In the case of an enlightened being, what can transcend death when there is no self?
    Existence, non-existence, both existence and non-existence, neither existence nor non-existence, these are the four extremes that Buddha negated.

Why?

These extremes presumes that there is a solid, locatable 'entity' that can exist, then become non-existent, etc.

However if we investigate words like 'self', 'weather', etc, we find that they are just labels, conventions, but no independent, inherent 'self' or 'weather' entity can be found to have inherent existence or become non-existent.

There is no "me" entity to begin with that can come into existence and later become non-existence.
    edited May 2010
    "Going beyond" or whatever language we may use when reaching for ways of expressing - and, thereby, defining - a process of liberation/enlightenment/salvation leaves us floundering. We must all have read and heard lots of arguments, analogies, metaphors and stories which claim to illuminate.

"The rest is silence." May be true but I notice that we are all trying, over and over again, to define, delineate, pin down and generally "master" the ineffable. Trying to catch smoke with a butterfly net.

There is, I believe, real value in bringing our different names, stories, myths and maths together, gaining a more vivid picture of the unpicturable - if we allow that we do not hold the whole of Truth but glimpse "as in a glass, darkly".
  • edited May 2010
    Perhaps when one attain the state of Nirvana, there will be no need to question whats after. As "what" doesn't matter, "after" doesn't exists and the thirst for the causes of sufferings ceases and thus the state of Nirvana.... Once one questions whats after and what now, i guess Nirvana has yet to be attained..... as one's desire continues to unfold in a different form and thus continue in the game Karma....
  • edited May 2010
    As much as I love Logic, it is founded on an assumption of declared identity. As one learns of oneself, one redefines the boundaries of himself and thus redefines what his self actually is. Due to such redeclaring, the logic law of identity is only useful for short moments of consistent understanding. But how does one have consistent understanding of what one has yet to comprehend?

Logic and reality allow for 3 states of being;

1) What is [white]
    2) What is not [black]
    3) What neither is nor isn't, but a boundary between; a combination [gray]

All material reality is merely gray. White and Black are only in the realm of the Divine, the perfections.

Once the "self" becomes understood and defined as the perfected spiritual process, Tathagata, it can no longer be of the gray physical and thus can no longer have material existence, yet still affects the material world by its divine existence. So it exists yet does not exist. It is in that third category of what both is and also is not depending on the perspective of your understanding.
    The issue is not just of logic - I wish it was as simple as that. It raises a number of Metaphysical issues concerning the nature of being or reality. In this case, it concerns the nature of person, its essence, substance and identity.
  • edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I think it could be argued that actually t is....

These are feelings and perceptions.
    </O:p
    no because it never stays the same, it is in a constant state of change, alteration, flux and modification. there is no permanent human face behind 'me' or 'you'. There is no permanent face in front of 'me' and 'you', either. Your face changes, does it not? So this 'behind' human face changes also. It's not a constant.
    No, this is exactly what he means. Nothing is missing.
    No. This has already been explained elsewhere. Nirvana is not in any locatable state.
    Existence is a verb. Exist is a noun.

do we?
    That's a moot point....
    No. Spiderman as a fictional character, is present, but does not exist.
    This is semantics again.
    </O:p
    <V:p</V:p
    I will not address your individual comments because I think there is a macro picture we need to address (the forest and not the trees).
    Firstly, the discussion is not just concerning grammatical usage and meaning but Metaphysical concepts concerning the nature of being – the nature of person, its essence, substance and identity. What it is to exist or not exist? What it is that accounts for our existence? In the theory of existence there are a number of traits to consider. The simplest that we can relate to is having a physical presence i.e. being spatiotemporally located. If you are going to apply Buddhism concepts to existence and person, it will be useful to explain meaning. For example, how does feelings and physical changes alter existence and identity of an individual?
    Secondly, when a human being comes into being that individual has the property of being human. When the person comes out of being, that individual no longer has the property of being human. It is a univocal notion that applies in the same way to all person that are human. This also means that whatever existence itself is, everyone that exists will have existence in the same sense. This is important to ensure consistency and grounding in meaning when we compare across entities e.g. human being to a fictional character. You and I exist and have existence but Spiderman which exist in our mind is a mental projection and do not have a spatiotemporal location.
    Thirdly, concerning changes to an individual is a reality of life. A person at 10 years old and the same person at 50 years old will have different experiences and physical attributes. In Philosophy, this is known as alteration in a human being which is the subject of change. There are two conditions that must be true : (1) the person that is changing must exist and (2) the person that changes must exist at the beginning, during the process and at the end of the change. There is no change in existence or identity. How and what has changed in Buddhism to the individual I think it will be helpful to elaborate. Comments like the person is not the same self because of changes doesn’t advance the discussions.
    Finally, the point on the weather is to point out that it is a propositional object expressed in a declarative sentence that convey meaning in the mind of the reader or recipient. The expression ‘weather’ has no spatiotemporal location just like other abstract objects unlike a human being. The comparison in my view to explain a concept is not useful.
  • edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »

Who says anything needs to be transcended?
    The Buddha did not transcend death, although he was enlightened.
    He experienced the ceasing of the function of his body. The vessel was no longer required or able to function.....
    The original poster raised this issue and I quote “what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist?” In order to address this question I think it is helpful to establish a baseline so that we can attempt to understand the transition from being to coming out of being (upon death).

The basic baseline is what happens when one is enlightened while still living. How does the person continue to interact with the world and its surrounding environment? I will attempt to postulate a number of possibilities :
    • An enlightened being is in a permanent state of non self. There is no reversion to the self state. I think there is a total disconnect to the world. This is probably not a practical state to be in.
    • An enlightened being can easily switch between self and non-self. Maybe this is similar to the Tokra in Stargate where they can switch at will between their human hosts in a symbiotic relationship.
    • It is a hybrid between (1) and (2) except that the enlightened state is similar to an out of body experience. While in this state, the physical body does not function.
    (1) and (2) assumes the need to have a physical body. (3) is probably the scenario that can survive death as it may not depend on a bodily host. This seems to be in line with Federica’s comments.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    The original poster raised this issue and I quote “what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist?” In order to address this question I think it is helpful to establish a baseline so that we can attempt to understand the transition from being to coming out of being (upon death).

If you were to ask the Buddha whether the Tathagata [a synonym for arahant and an epithet for the Buddha] exists after death, doesn't exist after death, both exists and doesn't exist after death or neither exists nor doesn't exist after death, the Buddha would answer, "That has not been declared by me."

When pressed further, the Buddha would counter by asking you whether form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications and consciousness are constant or inconstant. If you were to answer constant to any of these, he'd probably proceed to give you a discourse on the aggregates and dependent co-arising. If you were to answer inconstant, then he'd ask you whether it's proper to regard what's inconstant, stressful and subject to change as: "This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am."

If you were to answer yes, he'd probably proceed to give you a discourse on the not-self characteristic. If you were to answer no, then he would ask whether you regard form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications or consciousness as the Tathagata.

If you were to answer yes to any of these, he'd remind you that all these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called "me" or "mine." If you were to answer no, then he'd ask whether you regard the Tathagata as being in form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications and consciousness, or elsewhere than form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications or consciousness.

If you were to answer yes to any of these, he'd remind you that all these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called "me" or "mine." If you were to answer no, then he'd ask whether you regard the Tathagata as form-feeling-perception-fabrications-consciousness [i.e., taken together], or as that which is without form, without feeling, without perception, without fabrications, without consciousness [i.e., without any relation to the aggregates, and by consequence, the sense bases].

If you were to answer yes to the former, he'd remind you that these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called "me" or "mine." If you were to answer yes to the latter, he'd probably ask you on what basis you'd make such an assertion since the description of such a self lies beyond the range of explanation. If you were to answer no, then he'd say, "So, my friend — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'The Tathagata exists after death', 'The Tathagata does not exist after death', 'The Tathagata both exists and does not exist after death' or 'The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death'," and proceed to give a discourse such as this:
    "In the same way, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

"He assumes feeling to be the self...

"He assumes perception to be the self...

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self...

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"He does not discern inconstant form, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant form.' He does not discern inconstant feeling, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant feeling.' He does not discern inconstant perception... He does not discern inconstant fabrications... He does not discern inconstant consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant consciousness.'

"He does not discern stressful form, as it actually is present, as 'stressful form.' He does not discern stressful feeling... He does not discern stressful perception... He does not discern stressful fabrications... He does not discern stressful consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'stressful consciousness.'

"He does not discern not-self form, as it actually is present, as 'not-self form.' He does not discern not-self feeling... He does not discern not-self perception... He does not discern not-self fabrications... He does not discern not-self consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'not-self consciousness.'

"He does not discern fabricated form, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated form.' He does not discern fabricated feeling... He does not discern fabricated perception... He does not discern fabricated fabrications... He does not discern fabricated consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated consciousness.'

"He does not discern murderous form, as it actually is present, as 'murderous form.' He does not discern murderous feeling... He does not discern murderous perception... He does not discern murderous fabrications... He does not discern murderous consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'murderous consciousness.'

"He gets attached to form, clings to form, & determines it to be 'my self.' He gets attached to feeling... He gets attached to perception... He gets attached to fabrications... He gets attached to consciousness, clings to consciousness, & determines it to be 'my self.' These five clinging-aggregates — attached to, clung to — lead to his long-term loss & suffering.

"Now, the well-instructed, disciple of the noble ones — who has regard for noble ones, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma; who has regard for men of integrity, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma — does not assume form to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

"He does not assume feeling to be the self...

"He does not assume perception to be the self...

"He does not assume fabrications to be the self...

"He does not assume consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"He discerns inconstant form, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant form.' He discerns inconstant feeling... He discerns inconstant perception... He discerns inconstant fabrications... He discerns inconstant consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant consciousness.'

"He discerns stressful form, as it actually is present, as 'stressful form.' He discerns stressful feeling... He discerns stressful perception... He discerns stressful fabrications... He discerns stressful consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'stressful consciousness.'

"He discerns not-self form, as it actually is present, as 'not-self form.' He discerns not-self feeling... He discerns not-self perception... He discerns not-self fabrications... He discerns not-self consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'not-self consciousness.'

"He discerns fabricated form, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated form.' He discerns fabricated feeling... He discerns fabricated perception... He discerns fabricated fabrications... He discerns fabricated consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated consciousness.'

"He discerns murderous form, as it actually is present, as 'murderous form.' He discerns murderous feeling... He discerns murderous perception... He discerns murderous fabrications... He discerns murderous consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'murderous consciousness.'

"He does not get attached to form, does not cling to form, does not determine it to be 'my self.' He does not get attached to feeling... He does not get attached to perception... He does not get attached to fabrications... He does not get attached to consciousness, does not cling to consciousness, does not determine it to be 'my self.' These five clinging-aggregates — not attached to, not clung to — lead to his long-term happiness & well-being."
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010

Well Buddha's god so we might not go to hell but only Mormons go to heaven so I think we'll hang around somewhere in the middle...
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010

The you that you look for is pretty much imaginary anyway. Once Buddha attained Nivarna he became liberated from the cycle of Samsaric Death and rebirth, Once Buddha passed into parinivarna ( as a fully enlightened being ) the final ceasing of the Samsaric form aggregates in which the enlightened mind arose they then dwell in the state of Emptiness. Their wisdom truth body or Dharmakara is their Omniscient mind that is completely mixed with Emptiness, Buddha's also possess another body known as the Enjoyment body or Samboghakaya which is as seen as in images of the various deities with these bodies they enjoy pure enjoyments of their purelands, The next body of a Buddha is the Nirmanakaya which is known as the emination body these bodies are countless emination forms of Buddha in which serve the purpose to help sentient beings in Samsara.
    So when a Buddha passes away their form aggregates of body become nothing but the enlightened aggregates of mind remain unchanging...a mind that is completely mixed with emptiness is not subject to transmigration through Samsara.
    edited August 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    The you that you look for is pretty much imaginary anyway. Once Buddha attained Nivarna he became liberated from the cycle of Samsaric Death and rebirth, Once Buddha passed into parinivarna ( as a fully enlightened being ) the final ceasing of the Samsaric form aggregates in which the enlightened mind arose they then dwell in the state of Emptiness. Their wisdom truth body or Dharmakara is their Omniscient mind that is completely mixed with Emptiness, Buddha's also possess another body known as the Enjoyment body or Samboghakaya which is as seen as in images of the various deities with these bodies they enjoy pure enjoyments of their purelands, The next body of a Buddha is the Nirmanakaya which is known as the emination body these bodies are countless emination forms of Buddha in which serve the purpose to help sentient beings in Samsara.
    So when a Buddha passes away their form aggregates of body become nothing but the enlightened aggregates of mind remain unchanging...a mind that is completely mixed with emptiness is not subject to transmigration through Samsara.
    That's really interesting. It's fun learning :buck:
  • edited August 2010
    Chandrakirti uses an example of a chariot. He says to the effect that, all the parts of the chariot are actually meaningless when there is no chariot. The term chariot is only meaningful when the parts have all combined to make a collection of parts called a chariot.

Chandrakirti has an analysis about this chariot ( i don't want to state all the ways, but there are seven points )

He says in masterful precision that if the parts of the chariot are all taken off the chariot and brokendown to the base components , this would not be a chariot at all. There would be wheels, metal, wood , etc. But they only become "chariot" when put together from all those parts.

He says that there is not an inherent chariotness in the parts that a wheel is not a chariot but when fastened to a chairot that wheel looks like it is chariot

He then says ( which i can't even imagine how he was able to come up with this , its really amazing.) just as the chariot does not exist inherently apart from its components. so the aggregates can't exist without the self.

I really love that . Anger,pride ,envy,hatred,attachment,aversion,all the mental factors, suffering etc. cannot exist without the self. As we use the masters teachings to deconstruct the idea of reified existence and pay careful attention to the danger of nihlism, we can analyze this "mere I" and see that it doesn't exist when investigated, Just like the chariot and its parts.

Thank you chandrakirti.
    edited August 2010
    Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates are present,
    There's the convention 'a being.'

Discourses of the Ancient Nuns
    Bhikkhuni-samyutta

(Samyutta Nikaya, Book V)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bl143.html
    edited August 2010
    Chandrakirti uses an example of a chariot. He says to the effect that, all the parts of the chariot are actually meaningless when there is no chariot. The term chariot is only meaningful when the parts have all combined to make a collection of parts called a chariot.

Chandrakirti has an analysis about this chariot ( i don't want to state all the ways, but there are seven points )

He says in masterful precision that if the parts of the chariot are all taken off the chariot and brokendown to the base components , this would not be a chariot at all. There would be wheels, metal, wood , etc. But they only become "chariot" when put together from all those parts.

He says that there is not an inherent chariotness in the parts that a wheel is not a chariot but when fastened to a chairot that wheel looks like it is chariot

He then says ( which i can't even imagine how he was able to come up with this , its really amazing.) just as the chariot does not exist inherently apart from its components. so the aggregates can't exist without the self.

I really love that . Anger,pride ,envy,hatred,attachment,aversion,all the mental factors, suffering etc. cannot exist without the self. As we use the masters teachings to deconstruct the idea of reified existence and pay careful attention to the danger of nihlism, we can analyze this "mere I" and see that it doesn't exist when investigated, Just like the chariot and its parts.

Thank you chandrakirti.

I love that too. I love how he describes the chariot and how it works and is comparable to the self. Really cool :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    I think bill's question "what happens when you reach nirvana and die is it true you cease to exist" has the underlying thought "If we are reborn again and again (living infinite lives), and Nirvana is the end of rebirth, does it mean we die permanently?".

I can't speak to what I think of as speculative, and my answer of no answer was apparently confusing. ;) If anyone else can answer this in a way which alleviates his fears, go for it.

In the days when I was trying to believe in rebirth, I heard a talk where a monk said there is nothing at the heart of the lotus. This meant that, when the phenomena we mistakenly think of as "I" are peeled back one by one, we find nothing at the core. If that is true, then when we die an arahant, nothing is left. We are gone, like a ripple back into the ocean.
    edited August 2010
    hindmost wrote: »
    In the days when I was trying to believe in rebirth, I heard a talk where a monk said there is nothing at the heart of the lotus. This meant that, when the phenomena we mistakenly think of as "I" are peeled back one by one, we find nothing at the core. If that is true, then when we die an arahant, nothing is left. We are gone, like a ripple back into the ocean.

And the question we ask, over and over, with no answer, is: "When this ripple returns to the ocean, does it still have my name on it?"
  • edited August 2010

And the question we ask, over and over, with no answer, is: "When this ripple returns to the ocean, does it still have my name on it?"

No.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010

No need to know such things. :)
    'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    No need to know such things. :)

You are correct, seeker. It is only as a courtesy to the original poster that one responds at all.
  • edited August 2010
    One does not stick one's eye that muddeep into the mysteries, lest one should go poo
  • edited August 2010
    does a drop of water distinguish itself from the ocean?
  • edited August 2010
    is the drop less or more significant than the ocean , don't they both contain the element water. The same i think with the thing your asking.