Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is compassion an attachment?

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
Here is something I've been toiling around for a while...

Is compassion an emotional attachment? I know the answer of the enlightened goes something like....It's acting without being attached to the fruits of ones actions. But I am talking about normal practitioners and their desire to be compassionate.

I guess I am asking:
1) How does one progress oneself without the internal desire to be or to achieve something?
2) If all things are inherently Empty, is compassion is a construct of Samsara?

Thoughts?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Compassion is a natural expression of awakened mind. It is unlike ordinary emotions because there is no defense or self-cherishing to it.
    KillBuddha wrote: »
    1) How does one progress oneself without the internal desire to be or to achieve something?
    Spiritual practice is fundamentally a process of demolition. Just rest, and everything will fall apart by itself. Striving for some kind of progress is moving in the opposite direction.

On the other hand, I just reached the practices described in the last chapter of the book I've been working from for the last 9 years! Yay! Enlightenment is just around the corner!
    This reads like a non sequitur. What do you mean?
  • edited April 2010
    Yea, I guess it does read that way. To me, compassion is similar to love and has an aspect of attachment (bound to Samsara). So if the awakened-mind is devoid of attachment (realization of Emptiness), how can a Buddha be compassionate?
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010

if the awakened-mind is devoid of attachment (realization of Emptiness), how can a Buddha be compassionate?

awaken mind sees how absurd those who are not awakened work hard to achieve unfruitful goals in their lives

so it is inevitable that awaken mind have compassion for those who are not awakened

that is why it says that Lord Buddha had/have/will have the greatest compassion for all
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    ...compassion is similar to love and has an aspect of attachment
    Not necessarily.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    But I am talking about normal practitioners and their desire to be compassionate.

I guess I am asking:

Thoughts?

I just heard HHDL say that some desires are good. Like the desire to be more still, the desire to become enlightened and so forth. I think even those desires fall away at some point, but they are useful to get someone to the level of focus where they naturally fade.

Compassion is not a construction, rather it is (sometimes described as a) resonance that occurs in the absence of constructions. Striving for compassion could prevent it, sure, depending on how intense you were on compassion. Usually (at least in a few cases I've seen) shifting that intense striving into a meditative focus becomes one of the tasks of the teacher. If focused on the moment, compassion arises naturally. If focused on compassion, you might lose focus on where you are, making striving for compassion just another clinging.

In my experience at least :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To answer the origonal question, no, true compassion is not an attachment, because a being who is capable of showing true compassion has no self interest, no ego and their only concern is helping others.

M
  • edited April 2010
    So what is the reason why the enlightened mind helps others? If you are enlightened should see arising/ceasing, suffering/liberation, birth/death etc. as truly Empty right? So why the need to act and step in?

I'm feeling fivebells' reasoning though:
    fivebells wrote: »
    Compassion is a natural expression of awakened mind...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    An Enlightened mind helps others because it's the right thing to do. There is no self aggrandisement, there is no agenda, there is no motive other than to practice of compassion to help others.

A compassionate act may not always be manifestly kind or compassionate. Compassion might entail witholding, or denial of something.
    Compassion is not always about giving and enabling.
    Compassion is about doing whatever is best and kindest for the receiver. Even if it's not perceived that way.
    An enlightened Mind would know what that would be.
  • edited April 2010
    An Enlightened mind helps others because it's the right thing to do. There is no self aggrandisement, there is no agenda, there is no motive other than to practice of compassion to help others.

A compassionate act may not always be manifestly kind or compassionate. Compassion might entail witholding, or denial of something.
    Compassion is not always about giving and enabling.
    Compassion is about doing whatever is best and kindest for the receiver. Even if it's not perceived that way.
    An enlightened Mind would know what that would be.

Yes, absolutely - and I think when we're still on the path we can get rather dewy eyed and romantic about what we imagine compassion to be. When I was younger I got myself into all sorts of silly situations with a kind of 'love and peace' mentality that I imagined to be spontaneous compassion - but which was seriously lacking in any wisdom and common sense! :)