Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Experience on Former lifes

edited April 2010 in Philosophy
Hi to all!!! Im new here, and i like all i've read! Thank you!! :):) Now I m interested on former lifes. Anyone has had an experience on this?? I'd be very thankful if you share. I m trying to experience this but im a little bit lost. I'd be so grateful if someone could give me an experienced advice, or just share your experience. :):):)
Thank you all. All love you so much. :)
A big huge to all! :)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Hi Willie Wonka and a warm welcome to the group.

I have not had any experience of former lives and have no interest in such speculation.

My advice to you is not to focus on the past or the future - but to be mindful of the present. Buddha's teachings are for the cessation of suffering in one lifetime if we study and practice them properly.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    There is no deliberate encouragement in Buddhism to establish a real and factual memory of a past life. Or several for that matter.
    It's not really important.
    What matters most is that, here you are, a human being amongst other human beings, who have discovered Buddhism.
    That is considered the most fortuitous re-birth of the lot. To be born a Human being.
    So really, instead of looking behind you, concentrate on the steps you are taking now, and make them Mindful, considerate, compassionate, considered and skilful.

The Dalai Lama (and others, certainly) has said:
    If you wish to know what occurred in your Past, look at your body, now.
    If you wish to know what lies in your future, Look at your Mind, now.

I think that's an entirely appropriate slant on things....

Welcome WillyWonka.

Now..... Where's that elevator.....?
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    There is no deliberate encouragement in Buddhism to establish a real and factual memory of a past life. Or several for that matter.
    It's not really important.
    What matters most is that, here you are, a human being amongst other human beings, who have discovered Buddhism.
    That is considered the most fortuitous re-birth of the lot. To be born a Human being.
    So really, instead of looking behind you, concentrate on the steps you are taking now, and make them Mindful, considerate, compassionate, considered and skilful.

The Dalai Lama (and others, certainly) has said:
    If you wish to know what occurred in your Past, look at your body, now.
    If you wish to know what lies in your future, Look at your Mind, now.

I think that's an entirely appropriate slant on things....

Welcome WillyWonka.

Now..... Where's that elevator.....?

Excellent advice.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey, thanks a LOT!! to all of you Dazzle, Federica and shenpen!!! :) you are real nice to me :). Thanks from the heart to your heart! :). Before all, excuse me, i m from argentina and my english is very very very poor :s. Well but more important, our subject! :)

I can't be more agree with both of you. The buddhism has given a lot to me. The experience of past lifes has nothing to do with the real core of buddhism and with what it can really bring to the people, but i said, well, if buda has seen them all, why can't i try to figure them out, i don't think it is something "wrong" at all, and maybe i can understand much more, in a more freeky deeply level. For example what do you think of the subject of reencarnation? at first i didn't believe in it at all, now i m considering it, and if have a real real good experience maybe i can understand really much more of the existence and everything... is just more like a hobby, but it can be really some serious serious business and a mind blowing experience to learn from, and of everything... for that maybe just one here has experienced some of this... and again i'll be more than glad if he/she contacts me because there is no much info about it, or maybe i just didn'd find it.

Dazz, fede and shen, i encourage you to it, if you have achieve a good or a quite interesting "level" in buddhism, then you have nothing to lose, and maybe you can deepen it real good, well that s how i think, :s, i hope it doesn' bother you. Real thanks to you for sharing what you think!! and your kindness to me. :)

But now... the real serious subject!!!! ....the elevator is here!!!!!!! hehehee. Where do you wanna go???? all of you!!!! there is a lot of great cacao to share!!!!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehheheeh i love you!!!! :)

kisses from argentina!!! but from heart to heart!!! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Your English would be a vast improvement if you didn't include the "phukking" so much....
    perhaps I could ask you please, to watch your language?
    We have younger members on here, and while I understand it's obviously something everybody's heard, it's not really necessary on a forum, and a Buddhist one at that. It pays to be mindful of the kind of language used here.

So, if you wouldn't mind..... less swearing?
    OK?
    Muchas Gracias! :)
  • edited April 2010
    Uppssssssssssssssssssssssssss, editated!!!!!! :):):)
    And about the other things what do you think, i m interested in what you say, either it is something like what i think or not, that s the less important to me...
    kisses with love love love, only love.... :) from heart to heart! :)
  • edited April 2010
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_06.html
    Viewed in their totality, the Buddha's discourses show us that far from being a mere concession to the outlook prevalent in his time or an Asiatic cultural contrivance, the doctrine of rebirth has tremendous implications for the entire course of Dhamma practice, affecting both the aim with which the practice is taken up and the motivation with which it is followed through to completion.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey! Moon! :) Before all i really apologize if someone could be offended or feel disrespected for some of my poor way of talking, in some cases i was trying to make more emphasis in some phrases but with words a little bit missused maybe, as federica said. If someone taked that way that was not my intention, :s, my intention is bring peace peace peace and love love love, :):):). So i apologize again!

Moooooooooooooon, loveeeeeeeee!!!! :) That "little" (literally talking) quote is exactly exactly exactly... exactly how I think!!! :) Because of that i m interested in this subject for now. Thanks thanks thanks Moon :):):) i would see what can i do without any info or advice, cause all the answers are within ourself, aren't they? so, why be soooo lazy trying to get the things done by others what's the meaning, and grace! of that? hehehe. And buda did it all by himself, so what's the grace if we look for outside?! mmmmmmm just thoughts... well again thanks thanks thanks and have love love love, real love, all of you!! :) If you wont take it from me, for misunderstandings, language/cultures barriers or whatever is ok, but love has nothing to do with nations cultures or whatever, is something human, so get it from whoever you want o by yourself but get it! hope you really really get it, :):):): :) : )
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    WillyWonka wrote: »
    Hey! Moon! :) Before all i really apologize if someone could be offended or feel disrespected for some of my poor way of talking, in some cases i was trying to make more emphasis in some phrases but with words a little bit missused maybe, as federica said. If someone taked that way that was not my intention, :s, my intention is bring peace peace peace and love love love, :):):). So i apologize again!

Moooooooooooooon, loveeeeeeeee!!!! :) That "little" (literally talking) quote is exactly exactly exactly... exactly how I think!!! :) Because of that i m interested in this subject for now. Thanks thanks thanks Moon :):):) i would see what can i do without any info or advice, cause all the answers are within ourself, aren't they? so, why be soooo lazy trying to get the things done by others what's the meaning, and grace! of that? hehehe. And buda did it all by himself, so what's the grace if we look for outside?! mmmmmmm just thoughts... well again thanks thanks thanks and have love love love, real love, all of you!! :) If you wont take it from me, for misunderstandings, language/cultures barriers or whatever is ok, but love has nothing to do with nations cultures or whatever, is something human, so get it from whoever you want o by yourself but get it! hope you really really get it, :):):): :) : )

Lol! It feels like a rainbow threw up into words :)
  • edited April 2010
    WillyWonker

see *
    dhamma and rebirth

*excerpt:
    Nowadays it has become fashionable to dismiss this question as unimportant. But if we reflect on the extent to which our views influence our action we will see that it is quite essential to gain some understanding of the complete context in which our lives unfold. Moreover our views on the afterlife will determine what we regard as important in this present life.

* Link includes sections on:

*Buddhism and Hinduism compared
    *Rebirth without a "Transmigrating soul"
    *What continues from one life to another?
    *Preservation of identity illustrated
    *Conception
    *Teaching of dependent arising with specific reference to Rebirth
    *Craving the Seamstress
    *What is it that causes rebirth in a particular form
    *Is rebirth scientifically acceptable?
  • edited April 2010
    WillyWonker,

and *

tucker_aBase.jpg

“Jim B. Tucker's fine presentation of Ian Stevenson's decades of rigorous scientific research into evidence of children's apparent past-life recollections expresses the true spirit of scientific skepticism, rather than the knee-jerk materialism that all too often waves that proud banner.”—B. ALAN WALLACE, President of the Santa Barbara Institute for Consciousness Studies.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Lol! It feels like a rainbow threw up into words
    A phukkin' rainbow! cookiemonster.gif

WillyWonka,

How do you know dreams you've had aren't of past lives? Or perhaps of future lives?! How do you know what others have claimed to be past lives, were not just dreams or hallucinations?

As for memories -- memories are not accurate, not even memories from five minutes ago. Memories can even be entirely false. I've had what I thought was a memory, and it turned out I wasn't even at the place of the "memory" at the time and had just been told about it when I was younger. I've heard other people say similar things.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey Mooooonnn! :) again what can i say???? thanks, real thanks from the heart, :) I'll have to see all that, but thanks, thanks thanks! :)

oOMundus! thanks!!! :) that's a real point of view, and a lot of people is on that nowadays, but that's a view from our body mind, same as deja'vu and all that, i don't know, i don't go really for it, nevertheless i respect it, but who knows? even if it's something true, it's soooo diffuse, :s, as well as you say. But through out meditation, when "you" 're out of your body, you can see things soooo clearly... and real, but well some things as these, are not that easy to see...
    Just yesterday i was meditating, and i realize some little little little but wonderful things and i said wow, anytime i go there i've a little fear 'cause it gets deepen and deepen, it's some experience... and when you come back you say woww where am i, who am i, who 're you? and you see this "existence" so comic and hilarious, but wonderful anyway...

Just a week ago i was talking to a zen monk, right in the street, about nonsense, and women, having real fun, and then i asked him, so... why do you keep on meditating, does it get deepen, is there a point to reach or what? -Point? There is no point to reach, it's like a skyrocket you throw out into space, does it get deepen? (he saw me in a real shock state and continued) It goes on and on...
    That was some great experience to me i hope someone could be as benefited as i were. :)

aMatt!!!! :) i m so so so soooooooooooo so so so so soooooooooooooo :) so really extremely so glad that you appreciated it, that was the true spirit of it!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Love!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi to all!!! Im new here, and i like all i've read! Thank you!! :):) Now I m interested on former lifes. Anyone has had an experience on this?? I'd be very thankful if you share. I m trying to experience this but im a little bit lost. I'd be so grateful if someone could give me an experienced advice, or just share your experience. :):):)
    Thank you all. All love you so much. :)
    A big huge to all! :)

Do you remember yourself yesterday, last year?

OK Fine - now what?
  • edited April 2010
    Hey Mooooonnn! :) again what can i say???? thanks, real thanks from the heart, :) I'll have to see all that, but thanks, thanks thanks! :)

You are welcome. It appears that you are enjoying your journey! :) Always wise to keep a happy mind - it acts as an umbrella, protecting from any sour drops of aversion and grasping that may come your way to rain on your parade. Not grasping to your own view will in turn, protect others.
    There are truths that can be known experientially only within the context of a virtuous life, and there are virtues that may arise only as a result of gaining direct insight into the nature of reality.
    :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    :crazy:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Uppssssssssssssssssssssssssss, editated!!!!!! :):):)
    And about the other things what do you think, i m interested in what you say, either it is something like what i think or not, that s the less important to me...
    kisses with love love love, only love.... :) from heart to heart! :)
    i m so so so soooooooooooo so so so so soooooooooooooo :) so really extremely so glad

Lol, you are a funny dude WW